Tuesday Travel.

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Julka
Tell us about your childhood - did you live in the same town your entire childhood, or did you move a lot? What place do you consider to be your 'home town?'
June 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I grew up in the same city, but I moved away at age 19 to be with Mr Wrong in Germany for 5 years, then I moved back to my hometown after our marriage disentegrated. I migrated South 11 years ago, and I know I made the right move for me. My hometown will always be where I grew up.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
June 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, lived in the same house my entire life until college. Then I lived in central Illinois throughout college and for one year afterwards while DH finished up school. When he was done we moved to MN, where he is originally from. We've lived there ever since.

June 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Julka
I was always jealous of people who lived in the same house/town their entire childhood but I know a lot of people who did live that way, wish they could travel/move as much as I did.

I was born in Russia (St. Petersburg) and lived in 2 different apartments there. Firstly, my grandparents' apartment, and then my parents bought their own.

Then we moved to Israel. In city #1, we moved um, let me count... 5 times. 5 different apartments. Meanwhile, my parents did buy a house in a different city and were renting it out. So then we moved into our house at city #2 and lives there for 4 years until we moved to Canada.

In Canada (here), I've only lived in Toronto and in 4 different apartments. First apartment was the one our immigration "help-people" rented for us. The second was the one we moved into later on. Then when we got married with DH, we rented a one-bedroom and once we got preggo, we moved into a 2-bedroom.

I am exhausted just typing all that.
June 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I lived in the same 3 town area for my entire childhood. I lived in Lodi, NY until I was 11 (in two houses), then I moved to Ovid, NY and lived there till I was 16. I moved out of my mom's house at 16 and lived with my sister for the school year (in Interlaken, NY). When she kicked me out because I failed Biology (she said I could live with them as long as I was passing all my classes) I lived with a friend in Lodi for most of the summer and then back to Ovid with a family friend until I graduated.

One week after graduation I moved to Texas. I lived with my now IL's for the summer and vacations and lived at college (dorm and apartment). For six months after we were married we lived in Texarkana, AR. Then a year after we were married DH and I got a place of our own - when our one year lease was up, we bought our house.

Lets count all of those moves up....12 - I think.

Home town was Lodi, Interlaken, and Ovid all together. They are all so small.

PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

June 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
I was always jealous of people who lived in the same house/town their entire childhood but I know a lot of people who did live that way, wish they could travel/move as much as I did.

I was born in Russia (St. Petersburg) and lived in 2 different apartments there. Firstly, my grandparents' apartment, and then my parents bought their own.

Then we moved to Israel. In city #1, we moved um, let me count... 5 times. 5 different apartments. Meanwhile, my parents did buy a house in a different city and were renting it out. So then we moved into our house at city #2 and lives there for 4 years until we moved to Canada.

In Canada (here), I've only lived in Toronto and in 4 different apartments. First apartment was the one our immigration "help-people" rented for us. The second was the one we moved into later on. Then when we got married with DH, we rented a one-bedroom and once we got preggo, we moved into a 2-bedroom.

I am exhausted just typing all that.
Moving is so hard!! I did move quite a bit while in college. I lived in 2 different dormitories and then 3 different apartments. Basically a new place every year. I didn't have much stuff back then, thankfully, but it was still a pain to move every 12 months or so.

Julia, how old were you when you moved to Israel, and then to Canada? How many languages do you know?

June 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Julka
Um... We moved to Israel when I was 6.5 and to Canada when I turned 14. Besides English, I can speak/read/write in Russian & Hebrew. I also understand Ukrainian and I picked up lots of Polish from DH's side, but those are both similar to Russian so it wasn't hard.

Moving really is hard.
June 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Proud Happy Single Mom
I consider my home town the town where my high school is although I never actually lived there. I've lived in 3 different house with 2 of those being in the country. Those 2 houses are less than 5 miles apart from each other too. Although my house is not on the farm right next to us is my grandpas old dairy farm. So that was my childhood play area. Lots of barns, ponds, four wheelers. It was a good time. I remember always wishing when I was young that I lived in town because I never got to see any of my friends but now that I am older I'm so happy I'm not a city or town person!
June 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I grew up in the same house in Portland Oregon for 18 years. Then to Ohio for 4 years of college - then to Michigan for 3 years of law school - then to Colorado where I met my DH and still live. I consider Colorado to be my home. I miss Oregon terribly but I don't consider it to be home anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search