Are your parents and in-laws Catholic?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Are your parents Catholic?

Are your in-laws?

May 11th, 2011, 08:18 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Mom is, Dad is not. My inlaws are both practising.
May 11th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Julka
My in-laws are practising Catholics.
My parents are not even Christian.
May 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
My parents are.
My in-laws are Catholic but if they have a lot going on on a particular Sunday they skip Mass and they dont' go to confession or see a problem with contraception. I'd say they are a little more than cafeterial Catholics

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
May 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my parents are Catholic, my MIL is Methodist and my FIL is nothing, which annoys me because while he identifies with no religion he is anti Catholic

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
May 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Happy Mommy
Technically My father and his family are Catholic, when is the last time he went to mass? Umm as a non-adult. (well he's been to mass for special things for my kids and my sisters kids but not as an active participant)

My mom and her family are not.

In my imeediate family (siblings) I have 1 sister that is baptised and Catholic but not confirmed, and not practicing that religion. 1 sister that is baptished Lutheran, not practicing any religion, 1 brother that is baptised, umm christian? and he goes to a non-denom church.

I have 5 nieces, 2 that are baptised and cofirmed Catholics, but only one that is practicing, the other doesn't go to church, and at events she doesn't take communion. the other 3 follow their mom (the baptised catholic but not following that religion)

so all in all, me and my girls are really it.
May 11th, 2011, 03:54 PM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
My parents are not. My FIL is Catholic and was my sponsor for RCIA. My MIL is not, but she is at Mass every week with her family.
May 11th, 2011, 11:26 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
My mother is. My father is Methodist as was my mother when they got married. My FIL was raised Catholic and is nothing. My MIL is married to a Catholic man and so I think she sometimes identifies herself that way, though she is not Catholic actually as in I don't believe she's had First Communion or any of that. My step-FIL as I just mentioned is Catholic though non-practicing, he's never adjusted since Vatican II and won't budge on the fact that he doesn't like the way Mass is "entertaining" now...so he doesn't go...hmmm...

May 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
My parents are both practising Catholics
My FIL was raised Catholic and two of his sisters are practising, sadly he is not.
My MIL was Church of England
May 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes and yes - we're very blessed to be surrounded by parents and siblings and extended family who all share our faith. It also means we have plenty of people to choose godparents from, and it's a whole-family affair when a sacrament is made. Also makes it easy for holidays / get-togethers - we all go at the same time!
mama4life likes this.

May 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM
~*~Nicole~*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are your parents Catholic? My mother is, my dad is Irish, so I am assuming yes, but not sure.

Are your in-laws? Most definately she is cradle and lets you know it.

May 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
My inlaws are. My dad used to be Catholic, but left the church 15 years ago maybe? My mother is not Catholic.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
May 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my mom and IL's are/were Catholic
my dad was not

Lucky mother to five!

July 7th, 2012, 01:00 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
My mother is. My father is Methodist as was my mother when they got married. My FIL was raised Catholic and is nothing. My MIL is married to a Catholic man and so I think she sometimes identifies herself that way, though she is not Catholic actually as in I don't believe she's had First Communion or any of that. My step-FIL as I just mentioned is Catholic though non-practicing, he's never adjusted since Vatican II and won't budge on the fact that he doesn't like the way Mass is "entertaining" now...so he doesn't go...hmmm...

First let me apologize for dragging out such a terribly old post, but wanted to comment regarding your FIL. There are many many people that left the Church and wouldn't budge after Vatican II so he is by no means a minority. Let him know that if he would like to return to mass there are options. There are several groups out there that follow the traditional pre-Vatican II mass...the old calendar and everything. I was raised Novus Ordo, but discovered the Latin Tridentine mass about 12 years ago and have never looked back. I felt empty inside for years and hated the changes that were being made before my eyes and this was just in the 80's and 90's. Anyway, I now know more about my faith than I ever did. So please let him know he isn't alone and he can return to mass with like minded individuals that also don't enjoy an entertaining mass.
July 7th, 2012, 03:29 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
My mom is Catholic and my dad is on the way to converting. It has been a 26 year journey for him. My inlaws are not but my husband just converted. Most of my dad's side of the family is Baptist.

July 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom and in-laws are Catholic.
My dad was Protestant, but not practicing.
July 8th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are converts, so neither side of our family is Catholic. Mine are Baptist, I guess. And DH's are "non-denominational" but with a high emphasis on the move of the Holy Spirit.

My parents are supportive of us...came to Easter vigil when we came into the church, and also to our kids' baptisms. But DH's parents are extremely anti-Catholic and very hostile about all things Catholic. We get along, as long as they don't feel their toes being stepped on though....which is really hard since we try to live out our faith in absolutely everything we do. Oh, but I should mention...DH's mom was a cradle Catholic....bad catechesis...bad bishop, wasn't taught at home and never learned what any part of the Latin mass meant that she attended. All just an unfortunate series of one rotten misunderstanding after another.

July 8th, 2012, 10:05 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
I was raised Novus Ordo, but discovered the Latin Tridentine mass about 12 years ago and have never looked back. I felt empty inside for years and hated the changes that were being made before my eyes and this was just in the 80's and 90's. Anyway, I now know more about my faith than I ever did. So please let him know he isn't alone and he can return to mass with like minded individuals that also don't enjoy an entertaining mass.
There are at least a few of us here on the Catholic parenting board that attend the TLM and so i'm pretty confident she is familiar with it as it comes up every now and again. I did just want to add that I don't go to the TLM because I don't "enjoy an entertaining mass." - I don't think the Mass is about me and so I don't think it is very important for me to consider what I enjoy or don't enjoy. So, while some may attend the Traditional Latin Mass because they don't enjoy the Novis Ordo, there are other reasons. I'm not trying to be argumentative really, I get nervous though when all Traditionalists are painted with the same brush.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
July 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my mother is not and is, in fact, very anti-Catholic. She was very unhappy when I converted.
My step-father is a non-practicing Catholic.
My dad (deceased) was agnostic or athiest. Not really sure which, though.
My younger brother is agnostic.
My older brother belongs to a non-denominational Christian church but has thought about becoming Catholic. His wife is Catholic.

My in-laws are most definitely Catholic, as are all of my BIL's, SIL's and nieces and nephews.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
July 10th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Both my parents and my in-laws are Catholic. My parents are very involved in their church; they ran the RCIA program for many years. Now that they are in their 70s, they have slowed down some, but still remain involved. My FIL attends church regularly but my MIL does not.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search