Thought this was interesting

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By D@mnedYankee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2012, 06:10 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I am in a FB group that is designed to promote understanding between religions and one of the other members posted this a few days ago (I did get his permission to share it) and I thought it was really interesting...

The Lent Trap: Let's Eliminate Negative Thinking

Every human being on the planet who wears clothes has probably at one time stumbled upon--when they've taken any time to explore the deeper crevice of their belly button (sometimes it falls out in the shower)... a small clump of various fibers and threads of different colors. How it gets there is a mystery, but inevitably we all come a crossed it: lint. It's helpful from time-to-time to check our God-given lint trap to see if anything's caught in there. Maybe we throw that lint out or collect it over time to make another shirt out of. Although I've never heard of anyone hanging on to it.

It's hard to imagine just how much lint we collect over the course of our lives. Raw fabric, clothes-junk we don't even use. In fact, it's a general rule of thumb when we're doing laundry: before you start the dryer, you have to clean out the lint trap.

This week for many Christians begins the lenten season, prefaced by Fat Tuesday and started yesterday on Ash Wednesday. Many Christians around the world will give up meat, chocolate, Facebook, and a whole slew of different things they love to do, just to resume these same attitudes and behaviors after 40 days of time.

However, a true observation of Lent is when we go into that deepest recesses of the belly button of our consciousness and clean out the Lent Trap. We really get in there and pull out all those left-over thoughts and attitudes that don't serve us anymore and let them go. What negative thoughts are holding you back? What kind of attitudes or behaviors are distracting you from the experience of Grace in your life? What's holding you back from Who You Really Are?

God gave Lot and his family a chance to clean out his Lent Trap when he took him out of Sodom and Gomorrah. We've all been there. How many times when we're in a destructive or toxic situation, do we make excuses and justify the abuse? "It's not so bad," we say as we take another punch in the face. God says, get out of this toxic situation (or from that abusive person or environment) and don't look back. But sometimes we do look back and become emotionally destroyed and drained (Lot's wife turning to salt).

So this lenten season, take the time to clean out that Lent Trap before you start anything new. Or all that old lint (past negative thoughts and emotions) will clog up and destroy all that you're working towards creating. Don't just refrain from an external behavior that you're going to take up again, let go of something permanently and become transformed.

Clean out your Lent Trap.
Ever, AimeeD041727 and mama4life like this.

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
February 26th, 2012, 06:25 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
I think that is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

February 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love this. And totally needed it today.
Thank you!!
February 26th, 2012, 11:38 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I always try to let negative go, it is a constant cleaning for me. I've been working on removing some negative things from my life that I hang on to out of some sense of obligation lately.

February 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search