Anger

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Marie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2012, 12:14 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Today the Homily we heard was about different kinds of anger, anger we use to motivate us to change something vs. destructive anger.

I felt listening to it like my anger lately is somewhere in between, it is justified anger wishing for a change, but how I deal with it is that destructive anger. I'm not doing what he described though where my reaction wants to hurt somebody, not saying it doesn't, I'm just saying that isn't the point.

But my hormones have me flying off the handle over stupid things. I mean literally nobody was around the other day, so nobody got yelled at or anything, but I opened the cupboard and discovered that my crackers and cheese snack I wanted wasn't going to happen, because there were no crackers, and I started crying.

So since the pregnancy aspect has me totally irrational, and I'm totally aware of it and still not being able to control it, anybody have anything that works for them when they need a trick of calming down about something?

March 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds like a homily I need to hear! I was just talking to my priest about it the other day, how I get very frustrated and upset (a big part of this is because I'm pregnant right now too and the hormones are awful, but I'm like this naturally and it needs a lot of work. I do have terrible hormones though and even when AF is due I can feel just miserable over pretty much nothing).

So the priest said that a lot of it is possibly coming from expecting too much, of myself and of others. Of things in general. He said it's something a lot of us go through and not to beat myself up about it. He advised to pray to the Blessed Mother about it and ask for help (which I do often, I love her dearly). He also said to say the Morning Offering Prayer every day and really try to take into my heart that I am offering everything, good and bad, to God each day. I did this yesterday for the first time and noticed that I was better able to handle things that usually drive me crazy. I know it's a work in progress, but I feel that these things will help me if I really do what he advised.

Something else I do (when I remember!) is to stop myself from overreacting immediately and I think "will this issue bother me tomorrow? Or in a week? A month? A year?" and the answer is most often no. Then I can be more rational about the situation and be more proactive about it rather than being upset about something that's really very trivial. It doesn't always work right now, these hormones are powerful things in pregnancy, but it does help!

Last edited by Ever; March 12th, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
March 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
The praying would probably help me, the final option isn't possible right now. There is no rational thought in my head when I start sobbing and being upset with every one. I mean like 5 minutes later, sure. But by then, the damage is done.

March 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm finding it hard to be rational at times too. Pregnancy is hard on me that way, not that I'm using it as an excuse for my actions, but truly, it does make it more challenging. Today I flipped out because of something that is an actual issue, and will be for a while, but I just got very frustrated over it. I feel horrible about it now though and I've been trying not to cry all night. I hope tomorrow's better.
March 14th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Oh yeah, today there was a levy vote for the schools here. Last year this levy vote not passing is what cost me my job (that if I still had I totally wouldn't have quit the way I quit the one I did have). When people posted about why to vote no on the levy I let it get to me. I didn't actually do anything wrong, but I knew there was no reason to let it upset me, but I did.

And worse I got upset because nobody at Courtney's school told her where we were parked so she could come get in the car and out of the rain, all because we were early, so I sat there 10 times as long as I do when I'm late. I knew it was stupid to be angry but I was still angry 20 minutes later when I got home!

March 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
prayers for peace and patience for you both, pregnancy hormones are so hard ((hugs)) and love to you
LJD3Tdance likes this.

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search