First Communion

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 2 Post By Jaidynsmum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Julka
Those of you with older kids who already had their First Communion - Just wondering, but are there any requirements or traditions either from your culture or your Church that the child has to do following their First Communion?

For example, we attended DH niece's First Communion last Sunday and his family is Polish so they all attend a Polish parish, and he was telling me his niece will have to attend Church every single day for a week following her First Communion, in her white dress.

The parish we attend isn't "one culture" centred and I don't know what normally happens afterwards, if anything?
May 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I don't think we have anything really like that.

May 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Nothing like that here either. Maybe have a word with your priest and ask if there are any requirements/traditions that you need you need to know about.
Julka likes this.
May 25th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Julka
Yes, I'll definitely ask Natasha still has 2 years but seeing her cousin last weekend, she can't wait for hers!
May 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
It will soon come round, the years just fly by! Jaidyn has 3 years but even now I'm thinking about it!
Julka likes this.
May 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Julka
Jaidyn is older than Natasha by a few months, I think? At what age is it done over there? Here it's done in 2nd grade around May.
May 25th, 2012, 04:31 PM
May here too, Jaidyn will be 8 (she'll turn 9 in the July)
Julka likes this.
May 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter just received her First Communion last week. The only traditional "act" in our parish is having all the First Communicants attend the May Crowning in their dresses/suits. Other than that, I don't know of any traditions/requirements.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

May 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
We have that "tradition" too, but it wasn't like everyone even went to that...it was just an option.

June 3rd, 2012, 02:41 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I don't know. I have a boy to go through it first.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

June 3rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At our parish, they encourage all the First Communicants to wear their special outfits during the Corpus Christi Procession. Our daughter was the only one who actually did, but I wasn't surprised. It seemed like most of the people in her First Communion class came out of hiding or something, there were only a few that I recognized from Mass or parish events. The rest...NICE TO MEET YA. See you again at Confirmation time? LOL
Julka likes this.
June 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Julka
LOL Shawna!
June 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
At our parish, they encourage all the First Communicants to wear their special outfits during the Corpus Christi Procession. Our daughter was the only one who actually did, but I wasn't surprised. It seemed like most of the people in her First Communion class came out of hiding or something, there were only a few that I recognized from Mass or parish events. The rest...NICE TO MEET YA. See you again at Confirmation time? LOL
I know! There were close to fifty First Communicants, and only a small fraction of them attend Mass regularly. You're right, though ... they'll be back for Confirmation!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

June 4th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
We get a few like that every year! They go to the catholic school, attend Mass at the school or if the school walks to church, but are never there on the weekend! Our priest actually tells parents not to bother letting their children make the sacraments if they are not going to attend Mass. He tells them the sacraments are not a right just because you're at a catholic school.
June 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
This was one of my pet peeves this year with the fact that we didn't get to do it at the Mass we normally go to, some of the people who do I don't think go to Mass weekly, I admit there are 4 Masses, so I can't know, but...

June 5th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Being such a small Parish our priest knows exactly who goes and who doesn't and they know exactly who he talking to when he goes of on one of his 'rants' for want of a better word. You can actually see people sink in their seats! But he is right to tell these people it is not a right just because you send your child to the catholic school. There is much more to the sacraments and it really gets to me when people are so blasé about them.
Julka and LJD3Tdance like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search