Why are you Catholic?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bellasky
  • 1 Post By SavaAngel
  • 1 Post By Just_Marie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
As adults we're all Catholic for a reason. So what's your? Even if you were raised Catholic, what made you stay and be faithful, etc.?

June 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can I answer even though I'm a convert?

We converted 2 years ago after a long journey from protestantism. We honestly were both raised thinking that the Catholic Church was so dead and a works-based religion with no heart behind it, so we never gave it much thought until we were searching for something solid to give to our children when we became parents. We felt like everything else we had come across just didn't measure up...it was all man-made...it was just church-hoping from one place to another in search of "the most" truth. But, then upon learning the Catholic teaching on all things pro-life...that really drew us in--we were already odd ducks in our protestant faith for how we felt about babies/openness to life so that teaching was an easy one to accept. The hardest part was hearing that the Church said it's the one true Church that Christ himself had established. But after thinking on it, we just decided to proceed forward with the notion that it either really must be the Church, OR, it's the ***** of Babylon to make such a claim. The more we read, the more we believed it was the true Church. We were tired of the relativism out there, the whole, "you pick your truth and I'll pick mine and we'll all just be happy". You could go to two different protestant churches two different weeks...listen to two different pastors talking about the exact same passage of scripture and each of them just making of it what they felt it should mean. Very frustrating when we were trying to imagine raising our kids in that. And obviously, a lot of our questions were getting answered with our Catholic research....the passages of scripture that, as a protestant, we glazed over because, for instance, we didn't really know why Jesus would tell the apostles they had the ability to forgive or not to forgive sins. Anyhow, that's just the short of it. I could go on and on...
June 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Happy Mommy
Because it grounds me. I love the beliefs. The teachings. Mass is beautiful.
June 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I was born Catholic and it was always just a way of life to me, but losing my first born daughter at 21 made me see my religion in a whole new light. I went through why me, but then it turned to why not me? God has a plan and until we are with Him we don't know what that plan is. I often wonder why He took my daughter, but I know that one day I'll have my answer.
June 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I think to some degree everyone has some question they want Him to answer for them on that magic Sunday. Some questions are bigger than others.

Anyways, I'm Catholic because of my mom. My mother's faith not only brought me to the church, but carried me through and became my way of life. When I went off to college the Newman group (the Catholic church on campus) became my home and my friends and made me decide I loved UNLV after wanting to leave and feeling so homesick (in the end I did leave). So many of my own debates with things, like birth control, where I knew I didn't believe what others believed, and somehow found that church believed what I had come to on my own just firmed up that I was where I was meant to be.

June 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm Catholic because I believe with all my heart in the Eucharist and because I believe the Catholic church is the one church that teaches the fullness of Truth. I'm going through a spiritual dry spell, so right now prayer and even Mass brings me little or no consolation, but still... I know my faith is in the truth whether I "feel" it right now or not.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Eucharist, all the way. "To whom shall we go?" There is no other faith where I'll find the Eucharist.
June 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to echo those that said the Eucharist. The source and summit of everything!

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
June 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
I will ditto the other ladies and say the Eucharist brings me to the Church. I love how calm things are in Mass and how reverent everyone is. I appreciate the ability to go to confession and hear that my sins are forgiven. I fully utilize the intercession of the saints and Mary when I am having troubles. Having all of those heavenly people praying with and for me is amazing. The rosary has helped me through the loss of both my angels and the loss of my grandfather. The Church brought my husband and me closer and he is now a Catholic as well. The Catholic Church is home.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

June 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I am a convert too. I never walked in a Catholic church till I moved to Texas (and there is one next to my high school) i always felt welcome and at "home" even when i wasn't catholic yet. I felt comfortable and agreed with the beliefs. After converting, I felt whole and renewed after mass. Now I am co-refereeing but I still feel renewed after mass.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

July 1st, 2012, 12:27 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was born Catholic and was baptized but my parents left the choice to me as an adult to receive the remaining sacraments. I didn't practice until I had four kids, then dh's cousin died on her 21st birthday in 2009--his aunt and uncle didn't know where to bury her but because she was baptized Catholic as a 5 year old (her dad paid them to do it), they had a place to bury her-I found that really comforting. They started practising after her death, and a year later I decided to baptize the four kids. During private baptism prep class, dh asked if he could also be baptised and that fall we did RCIA together. I came back to my roots-it feels so much like home. I also love the Eucharist-never got that feeling when I was practicising pentecostal in college.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search