Principle of Double Effect

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By AMDG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 09:38 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Is this a principle you are familiar with? Do you agree with it?
I was on another board and got into a discussion with a group of very conservative Christian women about tubal pregnancies. I was trying to explain why taking the drugs to abort the baby is morally wrong but why removing the whole fallopean tube is morally acceptable using the principle of double effect. None of them could see the distinction and saw absolutely nothing wrong with taking the drugs to "disolve" the pregnancy. It really disturbed me and I actually lost some sleep over it. I gave many examples and even looked the principle of double effect up on line to make sure I was explaining it in the clearest possible way.
Although it really bothered me, I am not judging them because I can see how w/o alot of thought and maybe some understanding of philosophical principles it could seem to be the same to directly end the pregnancy vs it being an unintended consequence of removing the fallopean tube.
Just throwing this out there to see if anybody has any thoughts on this of if anybody has been successful in explaining this principle to others.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
June 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am familiar with it and I certainly agree with it. But I also think it is a difficult principle to understand, let alone explain. It took me awhile to wrap my brain around it! So much depends on your audience though too. If whomever you are speaking to is genuinely interested in understanding the moral difference (even if they may not agree), they'll probably grasp it easier than someone who is not interested in understanding at all. Just do your best and let God do the rest; you can't convince everyone when you would wish to. Let Him do it in His time after you've done your best to speak the truth in love.
JoyfulChaosMama likes this.
June 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I'm not sure I know about Double Effect, though I mean I knew about what you're saying about the drug no and the tube yes. I wish I knew more though because my mother had a tubal pregnancy when I was 10 months old and sometimes she talks about it in a way where she seems to think she did something wrong in the eyes of the church and I keep telling her that's not true. I even have told her I'm sure the baby was already gone by the time the surgery took place since her tube burst, but she doesn't seem to see it.

June 13th, 2012, 10:28 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
it is true that often the fetus dies before it is even discovered. My sister is a nurse at a Catholic hospital and I know that before removing the tube they attempt to confirm if the fetus is still alive - if they are able to confirm difinitavely that the life has already passed they give the drugs. If they cannot be sure they remove the tube.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
June 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
The reason I assumed the baby had passed is because I assume when the tube burst that deprived the baby of it's needs cuz it had to have been disconnected from everything since the tube had burst. And drugs weren't even an option then also, they had to go repair her somehow.

June 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Yep, this is a tough one. People have such a hard time understanding that the ends do not justify the means. This is why they cannot understand the principle of double effect b/c they only see that the result is the same.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Shawna, I think you made an excellent point about whether the person is open to trying to understand the principle. I do think that makes a huge difference.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search