I do this every time!!!

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By JoyfulChaosMama
  • 1 Post By AMDG
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By LiamsMother
  • 1 Post By Julka
  • 3 Post By AMDG
  • 2 Post By JoyfulChaosMama
  • 1 Post By AMDG
  • 1 Post By LJD3Tdance
  • 1 Post By AMDG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Every pregnancy, we settle in on a name and feel good about it, and then I start finding ways to tear it apart right before I deliver!!! I am in my 33rd week and starting to panic about names! Please ladies, help me out....anyone hear of any really interesting and unique Catholic names getting used by those around you?? I feel like we're back to the drawing board, and could easily end up using the name we started out liking, but I just always freak out and make myself run around in circles to make sure.

What Christian/Catholic names have you been hearing lately that have caught your attention??

June 20th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When are you due? We like to take a look at the liturgical calendar and go from there...Our Isaac was born on the Feast of St. Isaac Jogues, Mary on the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima, Molly Elizabeth was born in May, Mary's month - Molly is a form of Mary - (already had a Mary!) near the Feast of the Visitation. Greta (Margaret) was born near the birth of Bl. Claude de la Colombiere (advisor to St. Margaret Mary Alcoque - Greta is short for Margaret) We have a few others, more personal connections to their name saints. Josie was born on the Feast of St. Barnabas - um, couldn't do that to her! I had just read a short autobiography of St. Josephine Bakhita and was totally taken with her life, so Josephine it is! (she was going to be Juliana, the feast of St. Juliana Falconeri was the 14th of June, but I changed my mind!)

Look at the old and new calendars and see if anything fits!
mama4life likes this.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
June 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
We look at the calendar too My dh has told me that the only way he will let me name a baby Blaise was if he was born on the actual feast day. Or we choose saints we have a special connection to or devotion to. I have a relative way back on my mother's side of the family who was a very holy and humble priest - Fr. Simon. If our next child is a boy I will really be pushing for Simon.
mama4life likes this.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
June 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I look at the calender too! I'm due Oct 16, but if this is a girl I'm really hoping to go late and hit Blessed Kateri's canonization day on Oct 21st! It might sound funny to have a Kateri and a Kiara (for St. Clare of Assisi), so Kateri is a high contender for a middle name!
mama4life likes this.
June 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
I don't know what you're having. But if I ever had twin girls, I'd name them Cabrini Francesca "Bri" and Fiorella Teresa "Fi". Fiorella is Italian for little flower. If we had a pair plus a spare, and the spare was a boy, we'd name him Giovanni Farina "G". Neither one of us, DH or I, have any Italian blood but I've always liked Italian and Italianized saints names.
mama4life likes this.

June 20th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Guess I shoulda mentioned it's a boy...duh! sorry!

So, when you're looking at the calendar, do you just wait until the baby is born and use that day's saint? Or do you just try to use a name of a saint who is celebrated around the general time of the birth? Sorry...convert here

I gotta be honest...it's been a little rough falling in love with Catholic names. I definitely see the value in using saint names, but I'm just so used to liking mostly unusual names...not so much traditional ones.

If anyone hears of an interesting twist on something, let me know.

Amanda...those names are all gorgeous!

June 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Julka
Okay, I have a question about the whole calendar thing, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone because I am genuinely curious. But just because I might have read an autobiography of an awesome saint, doesn't mean my first thought is to name my child that. I mean, the association is definitely great, but what if you don't like the name? Do you still use it just for the sake of it being meaningful even if it wasn't your first choice?

I guess when I name my kids, my first priority is to love the name. Second, I check the name's meaning, origin, etc. and see if it's a good one. Not the other way around... For example, I love St Therese but I do not really like the names Therese/Theresa... So I couldn't imagine naming my child that just so their name has a good association to a great saint... I would rather not have a Catholic/Christian association, but love the name!! That's just me, though.
LJD3Tdance likes this.
June 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If we have a boy his name will be Blaise Sebastian. I usually look at the calendar and online, find a name I like and then read about that saint. If it's not a saints name or biblical the meaning is really important to us.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
June 21st, 2012, 07:34 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My nephew's name is Felix because my SIL wanted an uncommon name and a saint name.

June 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Okay, I have a question about the whole calendar thing, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone because I am genuinely curious. But just because I might have read an autobiography of an awesome saint, doesn't mean my first thought is to name my child that. I mean, the association is definitely great, but what if you don't like the name? Do you still use it just for the sake of it being meaningful even if it wasn't your first choice?

For us, it is combination. We wouldn't ever go solely off of the calendar but it often helps. We know for sure we want to always use a saint name or a variation of a saint name but there are so many saints out there the calendar can help bring to mind saints you might not have thought of. Also, if the saints around the due date are not ones we are familiar with it is a chance for us to research them a little and see if they have qualities we admire or feel drawn to. If we just don't like the name though we wouldn't use it. Yesterday was St. Sylverius and I don't care for that name but the 25th is St. William - a name we both like.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
June 21st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Often times I wouldn't consider a certain name until I read about the saint or see it on the calendar - then the name becomes meaingful. (Our 6th child was born on the feast of st. sixtus - we simply couldn't do it though - we learned about a new saint either way, and did go with an S name -Samuel.) I received a piece of advise a few babies ago that was helpful - ask God what he wishes your baby to be named! (that is kind of how Josephine came about - I like the name, but knowing the saint behind it makes it all the more beautiful - AND I had prayed for guidance on choosing the baby's name - the prayer was answered in the form of the biography!)
Julka and mama4life like this.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
June 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Lisa, I have to tell you that after I saw that you named your little girl Josephine I texted my husband at work and asked if he liked the name - I love the name but had never really thought about it before! His response - "are you pregnant and you're sure she's a girl?" but then he admitted he likes the name too.
Julka likes this.

June 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulChaosMama View Post
Often times I wouldn't consider a certain name until I read about the saint or see it on the calendar - then the name becomes meaingful. (Our 6th child was born on the feast of st. sixtus - we simply couldn't do it though - we learned about a new saint either way, and did go with an S name -Samuel.) I received a piece of advise a few babies ago that was helpful - ask God what he wishes your baby to be named! (that is kind of how Josephine came about - I like the name, but knowing the saint behind it makes it all the more beautiful - AND I had prayed for guidance on choosing the baby's name - the prayer was answered in the form of the biography!)
Sixtus is a name? Funny though 6th child and six...anyway...what country was this Saint from?
JoyfulChaosMama likes this.

June 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Well, there have been a bunch of popes named Sixtus - I think like 9? That's all I think of when I hear that name - it is a "pope name"
JoyfulChaosMama likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search