How do you give?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Marie
  • 1 Post By AMDG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2012, 06:35 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
How do you give money (tithe) to your church? Do you do it with cash, check or an electronic funds transfer?

December 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have it taken out electronically once a month. However, I feel awkward when the basket comes around, so we inevitably give a little then, too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

December 13th, 2012, 08:23 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I write a check. Then it's easy to go back at tax time and count it up.

December 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Julka
We don't have an electronic option, just a collection basket; they do give out envelopes once a year with your name printed for tax purposes and send you a receipt at the year end for how much you donated, so DH usually writes a cheque.. but if we go separately and the basket passes, I 85% of the time still put a coin or two because I feel bad otherwise.
December 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
we write a check and put it in our envelope - then once a year we get a receipt from our pastor for tax purposes. If we forget one week or go to a different parish we just write the check for double the next week.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
December 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinMommy View Post
We have it taken out electronically once a month. However, I feel awkward when the basket comes around, so we inevitably give a little then, too.
Our church sends out envelopes every quarter to registered parishioners and one of the options on the envelope is "I give by electronic transfer" and they say they want you to check that and use the envelope, they explained why, but if I did it, I'd do it badly, but it avoids the "awkward" feeling.

I however have not had a steady enough income (it changes too frequently) to feel I can do it electronically, so we just use checks normally, cash sometimes.

December 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Since my husband is the priest of our church, and we are a small mission, most of the churches income goes to support my husband's salary. So we choose to sent our tithes to different missions in our diocese. The mission we currently tithe to takes paypal.

December 15th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
electronically monthly, so much easier for me
LJD3Tdance likes this.
December 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
Since my husband is the priest of our church, and we are a small mission, most of the churches income goes to support my husband's salary. So we choose to sent our tithes to different missions in our diocese. The mission we currently tithe to takes paypal.
Your husband is a priest?

December 16th, 2012, 09:10 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
My friend is married to a priest in the Byzantine Rite. It seems like it would be a very hard life to be married to a man living out two vocations!!
ShawnaCAN likes this.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
December 17th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I knew there were married priests, read about a convert once that was, but I've never actually met one. (or their wife)

December 18th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The priest who baptized the four kids is married-he was an Anglican something high up, then was asked to convert to Cath-he works with the Archbishop of our parish, he just cannot have his own church. He is an incredibly interesting man to talk to considering he came from "the other side" lol It really gave me a neat perspective when I came back to Catholicism.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search