Christmas Mass?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AMDG
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By AMDG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When and how do you do it in your church?

I think we will go to the 6pm on the 24th, if we can get tickets. Our church is huge and you need to get tickets in advance, I might send dh in on Sunday morning to score us 7 tickets since he's at work.

Lucky mother to five!

December 23rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Our church is too big for our community most weeks, on Christmas, suddenly it isn't. We will go to a Christmas Eve service, which one has yet to be discussed, but earlier is better with the littles.

December 23rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Our parish has Mass at 8 p.m. Christmas Eve, so that's when we are going.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 23rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
We'll be going at 9am Christmas morning.
December 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
oh dear, I wonder if dh remembered to pick up tickets

Lucky mother to five!

December 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Julka
We'll be going Christmas day, what time I don't know, it depends on when the baby naps. But our parish offers several Masses so it's never an issue.
December 24th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We will attend the Children's Mass at 4 PM on Christmas Eve.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

December 24th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I just found out there's a 4pm mass, we decided we will take the kids to that one!

Lucky mother to five!

December 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
We went to the 8pm on Christmas Eve. I have never heard of needing tickets! Do they turn people away from Mass if they don't have a ticket? I understand that parishes get really crowed at Christmas time but it seems kind of inappropriate to turn people away from mass.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
December 26th, 2012, 06:18 PM
With the tickets, you have to be there by 15 mins before your ticketed mass, as fifteen mins before they let in the general public. I think they added that 4pm mass this year, so maybe it wasn't as bad.

We didn't end up going, we stayed home and read the birth of Christ and had a birthday party for Jesus instead-two new things for our family, and I think I got more out of it than I would have fighting five littles at Mass

Lucky mother to five!

December 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Even arriving early I still didn't get to sit in a pew! Blah! And Mass the day before (On Sunday) was like empty...I mean it wasn't, but compared to the normal...what people can't handle going two days in a row? I do it ALONE with 5 children normally! Don't give me that!

December 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Does your church have daycare? How do you manage church with five on your own? I really need to learn how to do that since dh works so much

Lucky mother to five!

January 2nd, 2013, 02:35 AM
Thankfully at least 50% of the weeks I'm only managing 3. My church does not have a daycare. During weeks like Christmas break I sit with just me and the 5. If I'm lucky my mother is there with me, if I'm SUPER lucky dh is there. In total in 2012, I think dh went to Mass for Terra's Baptism, Courtney's First Communion, Easter, Christamas and then one or two Sunday's beyond that (including this past one, a pleasant surprise.) My mother is often at Mass, but sometimes since we don't go together we don't find each other, so I sit alone. The boys are both in RE during Mass on weeks that happens. During the summer, I'm on my own, and over any holiday break I'm on my own with the 5. We just manage. And people let us be crazy I guess, because each week somebody says to me "I love seeing your family here." I don't ever even know these people lol.

January 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We went at 8pm at my parent's parish. Our home parish has a policy of locking the doors once the church is full on Christmas Eve. It's because it's a fire hazard to have people crammed in like sardines. A church in our diocese had a fire while it was packed like that, over 100 people were injured from the crowd stampeding out. I would imagine that is the reason for the tickets too; fire code. It's not really turning people away from Mass, as there are multiple times to choose from and the Christmas Day Masses are never full enough for locking the doors.
LJD3Tdance likes this.
January 2nd, 2013, 02:53 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
We went at 8pm at my parent's parish. Our home parish has a policy of locking the doors once the church is full on Christmas Eve. It's because it's a fire hazard to have people crammed in like sardines. A church in our diocese had a fire while it was packed like that, over 100 people were injured from the crowd stampeding out. I would imagine that is the reason for the tickets too; fire code. It's not really turning people away from Mass, as there are multiple times to choose from and the Christmas Day Masses are never full enough for locking the doors.
No, I understand fire code stuff and overcrowding - I can imagine saying "I'm sorry, the church is at capacity, you cannot come in" but saying "I'm sorry, you don't have ticket and so you can't come in" seems a bit different. But, I'm not in a big parish and so I was just going off my reaction to hearing something I had never heard of before.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search