Do you cover for mass?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By AmyLM
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By mama4life
  • 1 Post By mama4life
  • 3 Post By AMDG
  • 2 Post By bellasky
  • 1 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 04:00 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
As an Anglican in the south, this idea is absurd to hear. I've recently decided to start covering at church, and will be covered during the entire season of Lent with modest head wear (thick headbands, scarves, etc). I was just curious if anyone here covered at mass and/or anytime outside of mass?
mama4life likes this.

January 21st, 2013, 04:41 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A few ladies in our parish do, but I don't. Well, not my head anyway. When I first saw this question I thought it was going to be about breastfeeding at Mass, LOL!!! If that had been the question, yes - I nurse with a cover at Mass!
therevslady and AmyLM like this.
January 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking breastfeeding too! lol Anyway, no, I don't cover my head. Once in a while, we will get a visitor that does but, for the most part, most do not.
LJD3Tdance likes this.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
January 21st, 2013, 05:16 PM
You guys are better than me! I don't use a nursing cover at mass! Lol. He pulls it and makes a huge commotion with it, so it's more subtle if I don't. We're pro's at doing it without showing anything though, thank goodness!
mama4life likes this.

January 21st, 2013, 11:08 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I was with the ladies above. I do cover up breastfeeding, but I don't cover my head...like ever...except inside my car on really cold drives to work lol.

January 22nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I covered for Mass (or anytime in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament) for a period of about two years. For most of that time I also wore a headcovering (usually a kerchief) any time I was out in public. I gradually gave it up and no longer do, even when we attend the Latin Mass. For me *personally* I found it was becoming an occasion of spiritual pride, and it was also a distraction.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 22nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do not cover anything
January 31st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Super Mommy
I am in a season of prayer about it. I really want to understand it first, but I do feel drawn to it. I wore a mantilla at Vincent's baptism...we asked for the Latin rite, and, ever since then, I have felt the tug. It's not something the Church ever discouraged, and actually, not wearing them only became more popular since feminism really took off. It was seen as a submission to both God and husband. Anyhow, like I said, I am praying about it, and about my heart. There is a resurgence of women veiling again, which is intriguing at a spiritual level for me.
therevslady likes this.

January 31st, 2013, 06:07 PM
Super Mommy
Food for thought...

The Catholic Knight: The Chapel Veil Campaign

I don't know this person, nor his blog, but found this post interesting.
therevslady likes this.

February 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I do. Not really out of a personal conviction though - I cover because it is the tradition at our parish. Our parish priests have asked that women cover their heads and I feel it is not hard for me to do. I do it out of respect for the Traditional Latin Mass and for our priests - they would never kick us out or anything if I didn't!

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
February 3rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
I started some time last year. I cover any time really. There are times at home when I don't, but at church and out and about I do cover. Nothing flashy. I get all my stuff from garlands of grace even though they have stated that they are very anti-Catholic. Their stuff is of great quality and looks very nice.

In the bible it says that we should be covered when we are in the presence of God and it does help me to remember to pray throughout the day. It also reminds me that I should live my life worthy of being in the presence of God. It is a struggle, but it is something that I am working on.
therevslady and mama4life like this.

February 9th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasky View Post
I started some time last year. I cover any time really. There are times at home when I don't, but at church and out and about I do cover. Nothing flashy. I get all my stuff from garlands of grace even though they have stated that they are very anti-Catholic. Their stuff is of great quality and looks very nice.

In the bible it says that we should be covered when we are in the presence of God and it does help me to remember to pray throughout the day. It also reminds me that I should live my life worthy of being in the presence of God. It is a struggle, but it is something that I am working on.
The things you stated are the reasons (outside of tradition) that draw me in and I share the same intention.
bellasky likes this.

February 10th, 2013, 11:17 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
So this thread caused me to look today at Mass, not one lady I saw was covered except this one African lady. And my church is BIG. At Coffee Hour there were more because the red hat ladies sponsored it.

July 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I have since my conversion 17 years ago, whenever I am in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. My head, not my nursing baby. LOL!

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2