Your children's names

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your children's names and how did you decide on them? Did you look through a baby name book? Consult a book on the saints? Look at the names in Scripture? Research the meanings? Is it a family name? Did DH insist on one thing and you on another? Please share!

July 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nathanael means "gift from God." He was definitely a gift. I was 21, in college, and starting to head toward drugs. Nathan, in the bible was a prophet. I believe God gave me the gift of Nathan to save my life....so to speak.
Veronica is the name of the woman who wiped Jesus' face on his road to Calvary. When she wiped His face, He left an image of his face on the cloth-some think it is the now Shroud of Turrin. ANyhow, it was His last miracle before He died. Besides being a cool chick in the bible, I wanted my daughter to have a boy nickname. So Ronni it is! It was either gonna be Veronica or Danielle. Both were biblical, both had boy nick names.
Then you are back to the old testament with Zachary. It was gonna be Zachariah, the father of John the Baptist, but I thought he would be teased in school too much so I went with Zachary. Oddly enough, we still call him Zachariah often.

My last baby, Jeffrie was suppost to be Gabriel. I wanted Gabriel, but Jeff said that we never named a kid after him, and he wanted a Jr. So he is Jeffrie Jr. But I just call him Bubba. At first I was afraid that the name police would get us because really, Nathan should have been named after Jeff. But since we are starting over, I suppose that it is okay....hehe

Lizzy, why did you go with Nathaniel?
July 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just really liked the name Dane, and his middle name is Michael, after both my husband and the archangel.
With Luke, I wanted a biblical name again, and then his middle name is Adrian after my sister.
July 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Julka
We picked the name Natasha a long time before she was born (before we even got engaged) simply because we liked it; I am from a Russian background and Natasha is a common name there, but not common in Canada which I also liked.

Recently I discovered something odd about the name... if you look on any baby-names website for the name Natasha and it's meaning, the results would show Born on Christmas or Christ's Birthday. She was born Sept 18, 2006. I entered her birthday into a calculator which predicts the day she was conceived on (I wasn't charting back then so I didn't know when she was concieved, just that it was December 2005.) And to my BIG surprise, the calculator showed the date of conception as Dec 25, 2005. If you're asking me, I found this TOTALLY FREAKY. lol.

If we had a boy, he was also going to be a Nathaniel. My husband's name is Matthew meaning "gift from God" and Nathaniel means the same thing, so it's sort of like doing the Jr. thing but with 2 different variations of the same name.

Our next daughter might be Veronika (with a "k" to make it sound the way it's spelled in Russian and Polish, our backgrounds), and we will call her Nika for short.
July 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
We picked the name Natasha a long time before she was born (before we even got engaged) simply because we liked it; I am from a Russian background and Natasha is a common name there, but not common in Canada which I also liked.

Recently I discovered something odd about the name... if you look on any baby-names website for the name Natasha and it's meaning, the results would show Born on Christmas or Christ's Birthday. She was born Sept 18, 2006. I entered her birthday into a calculator which predicts the day she was conceived on (I wasn't charting back then so I didn't know when she was concieved, just that it was December 2005.) And to my BIG surprise, the calculator showed the date of conception as Dec 25, 2005. If you're asking me, I found this TOTALLY FREAKY. lol.

If we had a boy, he was also going to be a Nathaniel. My husband's name is Matthew meaning "gift from God" and Nathaniel means the same thing, so it's sort of like doing the Jr. thing but with 2 different variations of the same name.

Our next daughter might be Veronika (with a "k" to make it sound the way it's spelled in Russian and Polish, our backgrounds), and we will call her Nika for short.[/b]
Thats cool. Incidently, my DD, Veronica was born on Sept. 18th as well. But the year was 1990. My niece is named Natasha.....I will have to send her your info. We just call her Tash.
July 4th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Julka
Hehe... Becky we call Natasha "Tasha" all the time
July 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Robert is a family name. Raechel has always been a favorite name of mine, and we used my middle name (Rae) for the spelling. Daniel came from nowhere... it just sounded good with the middle name we wanted to use for him. Joseph is our "post-conversion" baby and named for St. Joseph, and he has two middle names one for my grandpa and one for DH's grandpa. Thomas is named for my dad, and our son picked Michael for his middle name. Hope told me her name when we found out she had died. This one hasn't given me a name yet, but we haven't really talked about it much. After the first two, we never officially decide on a name until after birth.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
mudholemama
I had a reoccuring dream about this little boy who would play next to me and one time
I asked who he was and he said, "mommy I'm Isaac" So when we found out our first
child was a boy we thought it fitting to call him Isaac...his middle name is Lee which is also
his daddy and grandpa's middle name so it's a family name. Clare's due date fell on August 11th
which is St. Clare's feast day. But Clare decided to make an early appeareance. Her middle
name is Michelle which is after my sister.
July 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beck, you and I have wackily similar stories as far as names go. I love the name Veronica because of the biblical woman, and it is on our future girls names list. And my husband is Jeffrey, and he also would not let me name our boy after him. And of course the obvious... we both have Nathaniel's, although yours is spelled more biblically correct I think.

We have three babies. Our first was miscarried at 6w. We named the baby Hope, because we had no idea if the baby was a boy or a girl and so we thought a virtue could go either way. Also, the baby gave us MUCH hope because we had been unable to conceive for three years.

Our second baby was stillborn. We found out at 20w she had anencephaly, a condition where her brain never grew past the brain stem, most likely because I do not absorb folic acid properly. (I had to be on high doses with my third pregnancy and any future pregnancies as well). We didn't want to know the gender, but once we found out the diagnosis at our 20w ultrasound, we went back for another u/s and asked then about the gender. We decided a few weeks later to name her Grace Therese. Grace, because we relied solely on God's grace to get us through the difficult time, and Therese because of the Little Flower, St. Therese, who loved God in her own little way. We felt that Gracie was special to God in her own little way as well.

Nathaniel came along and after so much suffering and trial, we figured we'd better name him "Gift of God" because that is exactly what he is! We chose his middle name Joseph so that he could have a strong male saint to model all his life.

July 5th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Julka
That's so beautiful Lizzy, totally made me tear up
July 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The names we chose for our children really symbolize the prayer we have for them, we named them after saints with certain qualities in the hopes that they will also imitate those specific virtues in their lives.

Francis Rosemarie - Francis because I lived with Franciscan Missionaries when I was 19 and really fell in love with their spirituality. I hope she has the same love of poverty as St. Francis, in that she realizes that God is all we really need, not riches or fame. Rosemarie - "rose" because of all the Rosaries who were prayed for her during my pregnancy and while I was in labour. Our entire family was gathered in the waiting room praying the Rosary when she was born. "Marie" to honour Mary's virtues, obviously.

Samuel Peter - Samuel because when I was discerning religious life, I prayed that God would call me to the married life and motherhood instead. Like Hannah in the book of Samuel prayed for a son, I prayed that I would have children one day. I promised Him then and there that I would name my first son Samuel to thank Him for hearing my prayer. Peter after St. Peter, our prayer is that Sam's faith will be like a rock - and also because it's a significant family name on both sides. Peter is given to Sam after his Dad, his grandfather, and 3 great grandfathers.

Kiara Elizabeth - Kiara from the Italian word for Clare "Chiara." After St. Clare, that she would also love poverty the way St. Clare did. Not that she must embrace the physical poverty the way St. Clare did (but if she did, I would be proud) - but that she would be detached from material possessions in her spirit. We realized having girls named Francis and Clare would sound pretty silly to anyone who knows their Catholic saints, so Kiara it was. Plus, I just think it's so pretty! Elizabeth after St. Elizabeth, that she will love Mary the way St. Elizabeth did. Elizabeth is also a family name.

John Paul - any explanation needed? Dh and I met at World Youth Day, which would have never happened if JPII hadn't invited us all to join him in Rome. We pray that he will have the same courage in following Christ that JPII did, the same strong hope for the future. John is also a family name - DH's very special grandfather passed away only months before, so our John is named after him too. He was a generous and loving man. His strong faith wasn't expressed so much in what he said, but definitely in what he did.

It is our hope that in naming our children as we have, that they will have a sense of purpose - that we have set expectations for them to live up to. Whether they choose to or not will be up to them, but we have named them with great hope in the kind of people they can become if they so choose.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search