Do you encourage vocations in your house?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2007, 08:44 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Something Shawna said in the topic about family members in the religious life got me thinking. Do you encourage vocations among your children? Or do you plan to, once they are a little older?

I plan on actively encouraging vocations. Not only to the priesthood or religious life, but also for marriage & family life. I hope my children are open to whatever God is calling them to do or be. I think being "successful" in life is not about how many medals are won and how much money is made, but about doing God's will and loving others.

July 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We pray for our children to be open to God's call to a religious vocation. Every young (or not so young!) adult will go through a discernment regarding their vocation ('cuz everybody has one!), and we hope to prepare them for that.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

July 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never pushed the religious life.... mostly, selfishly, because I want grandchildren. I want to be like my grandma and have 40 grandchildren and great grandchildren when I get old and grey and worn out and I want the kids to fight over who gets to take care of me!

But I realize now that maybe I should have been more like you guys...and so I will push whatever 'vocation" God wants for the kids. A priest in the family would be awesome.
July 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
TOTALLY! There are several ways we encourage vocations even already - they are 4, 3, 1, and 7 months. One of the biggest ways is that we try to keep close friendships with priests and religious in our area, so these people are just as special to our kids as our married friends are. We want them to see how much we respect and admire them for following God into a life that makes no sense to the "world." We will also try to attend Ordinations and Final Professions, and be just as excited about those as we are when we attend weddings as a family. I guess the most important way is to seek God's will myself. We have to set the example of seeking God's will in our lives or how can we expect them to do the same? Sam (3) and I were just talking about priesthood the other day, but it was the sort of conversation you have with a 3 year old boy:

Sam: Fr. M has a motorbike.
Me: Yes, yes he does.
Sam: I'm going to be a priest so I can have a motorbike too because priests have motorbikes.
Me: You got it! If you become a priest, we'll buy you a motorbike!
LOL.

I honestly believe that the vocation God has called each of us to is the way of life that will make us the happiest and will also be the most conducive to our spirtitual maturation. I hope and pray that some or all of our children will be called to religious life or the priesthood, but at the same time - I wouldn't want them to embrace any particular vocation if it wasn't what God had planned for them. Whether priesthood, religious life, or marriage - if they are not called to it, they wouldn't be very good at it and probably wouldn't be happy either.

Have any of you seen Grassroots films? They have one called Fishers of Men about the priesthood. It's AMAZING! They also have one about the carrying the Eucharist through streets of New York, you can watch the trailers here - so AWESOME! Turn your volume up and watch! If it takes time to load, it's SOOO worth it!

Fishers of Men:
http://www.grassrootsfilms.com/clip/traile...men_medium.html

God in the Streets of New York:
http://www.grassrootsfilms.com/clip/traile...ets_medium.html

July 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, Shawna! I will check those out!

July 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Shawna,
My mom sent me the Jesus in the Streets of New York the other day. It was really cool.
July 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Julka
Like Becky, I also don't stress vocations to the religious life for somewhat selfish reasons... I am a convert and religious life to me is, although wonderful by all means, it's a little weird. Not weird in itself, but weird if my child chose it. Sorry, I am not sure how to explain how I feel... it's because my own family was so not religious that we've always seen religious sisters & brothers as a little 'odd' and I am still partially in that world...

I too hope my children choose the lifestyle that God is calling them to, but my selfish part just wants them to get married and have kids.
So, no, at this point I don't encourage religious life my husband keeps telling her she's gonna be a nun, and I tell him to shoosh up. Yah.................

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search