What are your thoughts on...

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2007, 08:24 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
... sex education? Are you teaching it differently than you were taught? Are you aiming to pass on the Catholic teachings regarding chastity? For those of you with older children, what did you do about this? Did you talk to the kids yourself? Let the school handle it? For those with younger children, what do you plan on doing?

September 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Nathan was about 12 when we sat down ......he was asking questions....I gave it to him straight. But then I explained why we, as Christians, want to save ourselves for our spouses. I have taught my children abstinence since the talk. I also had the talk with Ronni. She was asking questions too. Kids hear things at school, and they need to know. Its not easy, but necessary. Then, during their life, we talk about all the aspects, little snipits of info I pass on. All 3 of my kids plan to wait until married to have sex. I bought DD, Ronni, a "promise" ring. Our protastant friends have a good thing going on there.

However, DH, always tells my boys that if they find themselves in a 'situation' to always wear a baseball cap!
September 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM
mudholemama
I haven't thought that far ahead.....but I guess I should.
My mom bought me this book "Parents Children and the Facts of Life"
written in the 1950's by Fr. Henry V. Sattler regarding sex education. I plan to
read it...just haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, I guess, I will definitely
talk to them about it. I hope to homeschool them.
September 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know you all have little ones, but I want to warn you that kids know stuff by 4th and 5th grade....thats when they start hearing things. In 6th grade, DD, came home and asked why everyone was snickering and laughing at her after she stood up in science and said orgasm instead of organism. Ya, its like that.

By the way, my mom gave me a book too. But she and I never talked, one on one...and there were many things not touched upon by the book. I swore I would talk to the kids...and I have.....except Zac. He never wants to talk. But he has Nathan to confide in, so I am okay with that.
September 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beck, I think it's a testament to your good parenting that your kids even ask you questions. NO WAY in a million years would I have asked my parents questions. We just didn't have a very comfortable relationship. Still don't, but that's a whole other thread! *sigh*

My MIL pulled her kids out of school when they did their sex ed classes. She didn't like their approach at all. They went to public school at the time and they had to prove that they were doing a different sex ed program. My MIL couldn't find one that she liked, so she wrote one, LOL! A Catholic based one. A few of her friends with kids at the time borrowed it and used it. I've never looked at it, but I plan on doing something similar and using what she's already put together.

I want my kids to have a full understanding of what the Church teaches, and why. To me that's as important as the anatomy and physiology of it all.

September 6th, 2007, 01:58 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I haven't done "the talk" with any of the children, but we've always answered their questions as they came and encouraged discussion when there is a baby on the way. It is time, though, that I really need to talk to my daughter about menstruation. We have a book called "The Joyful Mysteries of Life" that I plan to use with the children as needed. It explains everything in the context of Catholic teaching. It also encourages prayerful discussion, which I think is so important.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

September 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jennifer, We have the Joyful Mysteries, and I have found it a bit, I don't know, corny maybe? Not bad, just kinda odd.

We gave my son The Young Man's Guide last year and it promted some good discussion between father and son. Not the full on details, but many of the beautiful Truths taught by Mother Church.

We will never have what everyone referrs to as "THE" talk with any of our children. We will give information based on Church teaching when and where it is needed. Kids are not dumb though, and they figure the 'mechanics' out just fine on their own. Since our children are homeschooled and really only spend time with peers where we know the families have the same approach to teaching chastity that we do, I don't worry too much about the 'kids talking' aspect either. I did talk with my daughter a few months ago about her monthy cycles. It has nothing to do with sex, it's part of God's design for women. It went very very well and she asked some questions but alot of it she was familiar with having watched me birth 2 of her siblings at that time. (3 now! )

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
September 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know i keep talking here.....just wanted to add that DD and i talked about her period for 2 years before it came. She was TOTALLY prepared, and we talked about it a lot. She actually looked forward to it. I explained how it was God's plan for women too.
Again, she didn't freak or anything when it happened because we had talked so much ahead of time. This was something my mom didn't do with me. Talking is so important.
September 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We want to be very upfront about our faith and how much it value it places on sexuality as a very special part of ourselves - which is why we believe what we do about respecting sexuality.

I'm not sure how I'll handle sex ed in school because I have no clue what the Sex Ed consists of in a Catholic school, as I only went to public school. If I'm not homeschooling by then, I will want to review the curriculum BEFORE my children participate in it. Even if it's completely in line with our faith, there are some things I just don't think a teacher should be explaining, but we as parents should be doing that. Will cross that bridge when we get there.

My Mom did a great job with this area. I went to public school, so I was allowed to participate in the portions of Sex Ed that explained puberty and body changes, etc - but I was pulled from the classes on contraceptive options since abstinence wasn't even mentioned. So I was pulled from those AND Mom set up alternatives to fill the gap. She got together with a few other Moms who wanted to teach their daughters about abstinence and we all went to see hear a presentation on chastity together. I can't even remember who the speaker was, but she talked about waiting and how special it was - and how she didn't wait and really regretted it. She also talked about second chances for those who make mistakes, and how we can always start over again. It was awesome, and it was a huge gymnasium filled with teenagers. It helped to know there were others out there who were going to take up the challenge of waiting.

AND Mom sat me down and had a heart to heart about the circumstances surrounding my birth. She was 19 when I was born, not married, and up until the last moment had planned to give me up for adoption. There were adoptive parents waiting to take me home and everything (God bless them wherever they are, I hope they didn't have to wait long for another baby). She told me she would never regret having me, but she did regret not having me at a better time. She said she hoped I would be smart enough to learn from her mistakes. She was just very honest about how hard that time was, and how God's way spares us all that heartache. I think her honesty spoke more than anything else.

Definitely not gonna pass on our faith's teachings on this! That's like saying, "Well, once they leave home all they're gonna wanna eat is junk food anyway...so why bother encouraging them to eat vegetables. Yeah, yeah - they're good for you and everything. But kids can't be trusted to actually do what's healthy, so skip it." LOL We'll lay it out straight, set the bar high, and pray they have the character to live it out. And hopefully we can make sure they know the way back home if they get lost along the way (Confession).

September 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Julka
Shawna, your post totally made me tear up. I love reading these responses because I know this is something we will have to go through down the road and I guess with Natasha being so small, it seems too far away, but I am sure time will fly.

I went to a public school. I wasn't Catholic at the time and not heading in that direction - that all started when I was around 18 and met DH. So at the time, I didn't really have any viewpoint on this and just went with whatever my school sex-ed was teaching me. When I was 14 and in grade 9, our gym teacher announced one class that we're going to be heading to a clinic soon to have a discussion on reproduction, and so on. Moreover, that was around a parent-teacher meetup time, so she informed my mom of this as well. My mom never told me she knew about this.

So we went to that 'clinic' or whatever place it was, I cannot remember exactly. We (all the girls) sat in a circle on the floor and had some instructor give us the talk about sex, all the technicality aspect of it. She even went as far as to take a glass dildo, lay on the floor with her legs spread, and show us where 'it goes'. (sorry if tmi). At the end of this session, she took out a box of condoms, and put it on the table and told us to take one. She also said this clinic is always open and the box of condoms is in a public spot, so people can just come in take one, and leave... so if we ever needed one, we were free to do that. Did I mention I was 14???

I didn't take one. I don't know why, thinking back, but I guess I didn't know what the heck to do with one. I know my husband got condoms at his sex-ed too. Needless to say, this is not something I want my daughter to go through. I was also never able to talk to my mother about these things and she never encouraged conversation. She talked to me about AF when I was 11, but to say it was upcoming, what it will be like, and what I should do.

I have a lot of preparing and reading to do... I want to do this right.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search