Am I missing something?

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our masses are said in English, in totality. Easter liturgies are sung in Latin.

I peek in on a catholic apologetics board, and am now confused (gee, me?!). Why are some churches NOT allowed to do traditional Latin Masses? The Diocese of ORlando now offers one church that does this. I am not interested in attending; I am quite satisfied understanding ALL that is being said at Mass, but is this a schizm within the church?

The board I am referring too is SO hardcore that newbies like me get lost...

TIA
September 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK here's what I think I know, lol. I am probably way oversimplifying here, just so you know.

There is a group of people within the Church that are close to schism. They are traditionalists who prefer Latin Mass, and some of them believe Vatican II was not a valid council and any decision made there shouldn't be followed, especially liturgical changes such as the Mass said in the vernacular. There is a Latin Mass that is approved by the Church that can be used, but that Mass isn't good enough for these people because it includes the priest facing the congregation and other things that are different from the old Latin Mass. I believe this group of people call themselves St. Pius X Society and Mel Gibson, for example, is a part of it.

I'm sure there is a lot I don't know, such as why they call themselves St. Pius X Society and also I know there is some debate as to whether they are in fact separate from the Church, but I believe that no Pope has of yet officially called them schismatics.

I do know that they are ignoring the fact that the Mass was in Greek before it was ever in Latin, and that it was "updated" to be in Latin at one point to follow the culture. Hmmm... just like Vatican II "updated" the Mass to be in the vernacular! How interesting!

I agree that the Latin Mass is absolutely gorgeous, and I actually attended a wedding once where the ceremony was in Latin and it remains one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever been to. But I am also 100% in agreement with the Church's decision, because I believe it allows people to participate more fully in such an important Sacrament, the Eucharist.

Someone jump in here if you know more!

September 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't add anything. I am just like, wow. But why wouldn't people that were Catholic accept Vatican II? Thats weird.....if the CHurch accepts the teachings of Vatican II, then who are they to say it was not valid??? Wouldn' tthat be like the Protastant Reformation? WOuldn't tha tbe like Luther and Calvin? ...Like all the guys who took what they wanted and left the rest?
September 25th, 2007, 09:02 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I belong to a parish run by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. This order of priests only says the Traditional Latin Mass. The Fraternity of St. Peter does not believe that the Novis Ordo is not valid but the order was formed back in the early 80's I believe to help perserve the beauty of the Traditional Latin Mass and also to offer an alternative to those who felt the only option was to attend a Mass said by a member of Pius the X.
Pius the X believe that the Novis Ordo Mass is not valid - I think this is a more extreme view and most who attend Traditional Latin Masses do so because they are drawn to the beauty and reverence of the Mass and/or because they believe it is more pleasing to God, not because of a belief that the New Mass is not valid.
There are many reasons why Catholics have problems with Vatican II. I won't go into it all here but many believe that what came out of Vatican II is very different from what the original intent or purpose was.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
September 26th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I belong to a parish run by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. This order of priests only says the Traditional Latin Mass. The Fraternity of St. Peter does not believe that the Novis Ordo is not valid but the order was formed back in the early 80's I believe to help perserve the beauty of the Traditional Latin Mass and also to offer an alternative to those who felt the only option was to attend a Mass said by a member of Pius the X.
Pius the X believe that the Novis Ordo Mass is not valid - I think this is a more extreme view and most who attend Traditional Latin Masses do so because they are drawn to the beauty and reverence of the Mass and/or because they believe it is more pleasing to God, not because of a belief that the New Mass is not valid.
There are many reasons why Catholics have problems with Vatican II. I won't go into it all here but many believe that what came out of Vatican II is very different from what the original intent or purpose was.[/b]
thank you for the explanation! Great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search