Seasons Greetings & Happy Holidays

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does it bother you when you see phrases like "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

Do you say Merry Christmas to people (such as the cashier at the grocery store), or do you say something different in case they're not Christian?

Do you pick out Christmas cards based on which phrase they say?

November 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Seasons Greetings bugs me less than Happy Holidays, for some unknown reason. It just sounds friendlier to me, whereas HH sounds like someone deliberately came up with it for season-neutral purposes.

Sorry, long answer to an easy question, right? I'm a copywriter, I can't help the nitpicky wording overanalysis

I don't say anything to anyone, Merry Xmas or otherwise, in the grocery store. Figure they have enough holiday spirit to handle with all the piped-in muzak!

When I send cards, I try to be specific to the recipient, so obviously, my Jewish friends get Hannukah cards. My agnostic friends get Seasons Greetings cards. And other Christians get Merry Christmas. In the past few years since I've had kids, I make photo-cards and try to include riff off a seasonally appropriate song, ie: "Tis the season to be jolly - All the best to you and yours, Love, me" - that kind of thing.

Its remarkable the amount of thought that goes into this stuff, looking back on it, huh?

November 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I personally think it is hilarious when Mr. or Ms. Politically Correct wishes me a Happy HOLY Day. LOL! Honestly, I think that Christians are just as bad about secularizing Christmas as anybody else and it is silly to over-react.

Oddly enough, everyone on my Christmas card list celebrates Christmas, and so they all receive cards that say "Merry Christmas". Besides, the cards I use are ones I get for sending donations to various Catholic missions and ministries... As far as I know none of the non-Catholic recipients have been offended by my choice of cards.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

November 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Julka
I don't say Merry Christmas to a person that I specifically know is not a Christian. There are many orthodox Jews in my area, and I would never say Merry Christmas to them because I think it's a little disrespectful. However, if I do say it, I say Merry Christmas and not Seasons Greetings or Happy Holidays. There is one holiday and it's Christmas so I don't see why we cannot say that or need to replace it with anything else. I buy cards that say Merry Christmas.

Last year in my office at work, we got some 40-50 cards from our clients in December, and since I was in charge of the mail, I'd open the envelopes they came in. All but 1, yes 1, said Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings. One card said Merry Christmas but it was from a Catholic hospital.
November 15th, 2007, 07:42 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pick Christmas cards that have the real meaning of Christmas on them - religious images, Scripture, etc....because WE are celebrating Christmas. And I say Merry Christmas to everyone, even if they have said "Season's Greetings" or something else first. I respect that other people may not celebrate Christmas and would be in no way insulted if they wished me "Season's Greetings" instead. But I guess I have a naive hope that people would extend the same respect in return, and respect that I do celebrate it. I refuse to exhaust myself trying to cater to all the PC nonsense. Cuz it's CHRISTMAS!!!! JOY TO THE WORLD!
November 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL Shawna.

I am bothered by "Seasons Greetings". What does that mean, anyway? The season is greeting me? The greetings of the season be upon me? What kind of greeting does the season have? It just confuses me! LOL

I'm not as bothered by "Happy Holidays". Especially since I learned that the word holiday comes from HOLY day. So in a way, if someone says Happy Holidays then they are pretty much saying Merry Christmas, because Christmas is THE holy day!!

What DOES bother me is when stores who are OBVIOUSLY trying to get money out of people who shop for Christmas gifts and parties don't have the word "Christmas" anywhere. Ugh! Like calling Christmas trees "holiday trees". Come on! If someone buying a Christmas tree is going to be offended by the word "Christmas" then why are they buying a Christmas tree?!? I love that Target changed their theme back to include "Christmas" last year, and I noticed this year they have kept it up. I just got a catalog that said "Merry Christmas" on the first page. Yay for them!

November 16th, 2007, 02:41 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I'm sorta mixed on this!
I always just talk about Christmas, but as a host I feel bad when I realize I'm totally ignoring the Jewish woman in my PR!

November 16th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Julka
Quote:
Like calling Christmas trees "holiday trees". Come on! If someone buying a Christmas tree is going to be offended by the word "Christmas" then why are they buying a Christmas tree?!?[/b]
lol, well you see... my parents are Jewish and buy a Christmas tree for New Year's. We grew up in Russia where the Orthodox Christmas is celebrated in early January and so Russian Jews kinda adapted the tradition of their Christian friends and also do the Tree, Santa Clause, gifts thing but for New Year's instead. So they celebrate all the traditions of the holiday but without it being about the birth of Christ. I know it sounds silly, but it's a very popular thing to do among Russian Jews, and the Russian Jewish community is HUGE, here in Toronto particularly, and they ALL buy Christmas trees but for New Year's eve.

So they, of course, don't call it a Christmas tree. They call it something like a 'pine tree' but when you say 'pine tree' around New Year's, everyone knows the conversation is about the tree you'd be getting and how you'd decorate it, etc. So my mom doesn't call it a Christmas tree when she buys it at the store, she calls it simply a 'tree' because to them it's not about Christmas....

Just wanted to share this, that's all

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search