Geology class

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I havne't posted in a while(here in this topic anyway) But I'm excited for Fossils too!

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
November 7th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm tempted to go through Matt's boxes and pull out some of the really cool fossils we found on the beach of Lake Michigan.

November 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Today is just going to be an overview of fossils. This is where you can alter the weekly progress of fossils if you are more interested in one thing verses another.

There are many different kinds of fossils. The fossils that most people think of are possibly dinosaurs, fish, ferns and other plants and animals. I have had the unique opportunity to see a fossilized coral reef and it is amazing.

The kinds of fossils that people don't really know about are fossilized dune migration, ripple marks, coal and other carbon based fuels. There is petrified forests, resin with bugs in it, there are microscopic fossils and massive fossils.

Fossils are the way we are able to see the animal and plant life evolution through the geologic time scale.

Fossils are found readily in sedimentary rocks. I will talk about how fossils are used in different circumstances to interpret geology. I will talk about the different kinds of fossilization. I will talk about the specifics of different types of fossils (casts vs. molds).

I hope that you find this week interesting.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

November 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
My favorite fossils that we own are corals. They're pretty cool looking. We also have some petrified wood. Matt really wants some coprolite (because he's a boy, and he just thinks it would be funny).

We have a pretty good one of a fish and ripples from Fossil Butte Nat'l Monument in Wyoming. It's really fragile though. Apparently one of his classmates found one that was actually worth some money not 2 feet away (and the ranger person took it away from him. lol, the valuable ones are kept in the museum there)

November 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
cakelady's Avatar :)
I love fossils and especially fascinated by dinosaur bones.

Brittanie, do you have pictures of your coral fossil? I would love to see that. I've never seen one.
November 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
bumpity
November 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I don't think I have any pictures on the computer, so I'll go find them in Matt's boxes and take pictures.

November 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Yay! I'm excited to see.
November 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Okay, first we just have a cool sedimentary rock Matt found on one of his many field trips. First dry and then wet ((I was looking for his fish fossil and couldn't find it, found this instead, thought it was picture worthy, lol))

These are called hexagonaria, called because of the hexagon shape. These fossils are also called Petosky Stones and are the state stone of Michigan. Since we found them in a state park, it could possibly be illegal that we have them. lol

(this would be the coral cut in half and looked at from the side rather than the top)

This one is a chain coral called halysites (Patrick's hand in the picture)

And a shell

and another coral? I'm not sure about this one.

November 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great Pictures Brittanie!

Rachel this is really intresting I can't wait until you post another 'lesson'

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
November 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
After way too much stress and sickness I am finally back. I am sorry that it took me so long to start these posts. I am still not feeling great so today I want to share a really cool website for fossils. I am absolutely intrigued by the White Cliffs of Dover. They are beautiful and FULL of fossils. Too many for me to actually

Here is the LINK

November 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thank you for the pictures, Brittanie! Those fossils are neat looking.

Thank you for the link, Rachel. I'm going to go check it out.
November 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM
The most common form of fossilization that we are able to find is recrystallization. The actual bone or other type of organic matter disintegrates and is replaced by minerals that deposit into that space from the ground water carrying those minerals. From what I could see in Brittanie's pictures (which are beautiful by the way) they are recrystallized. My favorite fossils are petrified wood. I think that it is beautiful.

November 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is so interesting! Thanks for the pictures Brittanie, they are great!

Rachel, the last picture is beautiful! I love it!

November 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Most people don't understand that the term "fossil fuels" is literally fuel that we get from fossils. Natural gas, coal and oil are all technically fossils. They are the left over organic matter from millions of years ago when they were buried. This is why the fuel we use is considered a finite resource. I have always been interested in the way oil and gas are collected in one area so that people can mine it.

I thought that you ladies might like it too. There has to be some pressure exerted on the land where there is compression. This creates an area where non-porous rocks are able to trap the less dense oil and gas.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search