Um.... I agree!

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Found this blog post earlier What do you ladies think?

Clover Lane: What About Our Girls? Childhood Cut Short

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
March 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Thanks for sharing this! I was just the other day trying to find a new skirt for Erin since her others were too small and it was SO HARD to find one that didn't start at mid-thigh. And don't get me started on the shorts (I bought her all boy shorts last year)

And Erin isn't even in school yet.

March 25th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that is the reason I should learn to sew in the next few years, that way I can add fabric onto the clothes from the store and make them modest.

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
March 26th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ani loves crazy color combinations (loves 70s style stuff) and has a little bit of a quirky sense of style and so short skirts are no problem. We added capri length leggings and she's utterly thrilled (and in tree pose for reasons known only to her). I can't imagine letting her wear a skirt that short just as a shirt with nothing but underwear underneath.

Ani's homeschooled so it's a little easier to fight against the grain. She's girly... but that means she just got her second American Girl doll (she has Julie and Ivy - the girls from 1974 - now). She likes to put on make-up, but we're not going anywhere anyway and she's learned how to apply it nicely so it barely looks like she's wearing any.

Kohl's is selling almost knee-length girl shorts this year. Even almost knee-length hits a little shorter on Ani because she has such incredibly long legs. She got some booty shorts hand-me-downs and immediately rejected them. She would much rather wear something like in the picture above. 1.) it's more comfortable, and 2.) it just fits her style better.

As for shoes, I wear flat shoes and don't care if she wear reasonable (like 1/2-1") heels, but she prefers flats. They are just more comfortable to her. I think since she is homeschooled (though she's got a ton of public schooled friends) it's easier for her to be herself and go with what she likes rather than what everyone else is wearing/doing.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 26th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I like the look! I'll have to remember that when I have daughters.

March 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I have resorted to the same type of clothing that Ani has! The dresses I love are SO short so I wear leggings. My mom hates it, but they really are cute outfits. I am glad leggings are back in style so it makes it much easier! I know how to sew well so I will be able to alter store things.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 26th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Yeah, I make Erin's dresses and have made skirts. I always make them longer. It doesn't help that she's TALL. lol

March 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I prefer long skirts and dresses for myself. Finding them longer than knee length is hard even for me, but I know it's harder for girls. I will most likely be sewing the twins skirts as everything is so short these days for girls.

April 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
It was about a lot more than having to sew our own clothing. When I lost custiody of my kids the legal system disapproved of my "socialization" of my children. Them being homeschooled and not having enough "outside activity with peers" even though they were at the YMCA every week day. The fact that we didn't have cable, didn't go to movies and homeschooled all pegged me as different and thus wrong.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search