Books for kids?

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you ladies might know the answer to. This summer there's a good chance I'm going to be a nanny for a family that has 5 children, they range in ages from 13 to 4, and I was thinking (with permission from their mother) that I could give them some books that they have to read over the summer, just so they don't spend the entire time in front of the TV.

Anyway, I was wondering what books were age appropriate for children of these ages:

Girls-13 and 10 (if at all possible, no vampire books please.)
Boys 8, 6 and 4

Also do you girls know of any easy somewhat educational activities I could do with them? While they will have play dates and stuff I just want to make sure that they have some structured time so they don't loose everything they learned in the year before and spend the entire summer in front of the TV.

Thanks in advance ladies!

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
April 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would take them to the library to see what kind of books they like. Every kid likes different kinds of books.

I would have crafty stuff to do. Watercolors, making bracelets, coloring books...You could probably do a google search for easy craft ideas.

If you're allowed to drive at all, you could take them to museums. I'm not sure how much a 13 year old would appreciate having to do educational stuff during the summer. I know my kids would be okay with it, but they're still younger. But, you could try Barnes and Noble for some educational related projects and ideas.

April 10th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Super Mommy
These books are good for all ages.

Children of the Lamp series by P.B. Kerr
Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

I like to sneak in learning activities so my boys don't even realize we are doing it. They love to play board games. So I use that time to emphasize math. If it's something they roll dice for, I have my boys add and subtract the numbers. You could also do multiplication. Anything that gets them thinking is good.

If they are into drawing, I'd have them draw something and then they have to make up a story about it.

Games like charades are good to get them thinking.

Baking cookies (or anything) is a good tool. Without realizing it, kids are dealing with fractions, (if you double a batch...more math), measuring liquids and solids, following directions, reading, Order (1st, next, then...) plus they are learning practical skills as well.

Listen to music and dance to it.

If you knit or crochet, you could see if the older girls would be interested in learning something like that.

*Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*
April 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My favorite book as a pre-teen was "Mandy" by Julie (Andrews) Edwards (you know, the one from Mary Poppins, the Sound of Music, etc.). It's about a girl in an orphanage who discovers an abandoned cottage in the woods and she fixes it up. In the process she learns a lot about growing plants, etc. It's a good story and probably has some educational value, too. It was easily my favorite book at that age.
April 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetch View Post
My favorite book as a pre-teen was "Mandy" by Julie (Andrews) Edwards (you know, the one from Mary Poppins, the Sound of Music, etc.). It's about a girl in an orphanage who discovers an abandoned cottage in the woods and she fixes it up. In the process she learns a lot about growing plants, etc. It's a good story and probably has some educational value, too. It was easily my favorite book at that age.
I actually have that book! I loved it too. Olivia (the 10yr old) would probably like it.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search