At what point should I teach modesty?

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Should I be dressing Peter modestly from the start? Or is he too young to understand so it's ok. I got this outfit at a baby shower, it is cute, but not necessarily modest..... What do you think? Should I put a onsie underneath?

June 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I always put a onesie or a tshirt underneath. I'm one that if it's consistent from the start, you don't have to put a lot of effort into teaching later.

June 10th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my parents were really strict about modesty, but even they didn't start enforcing the whole sleeves issue until I was like 8, and I didn't have any problems with the transition. I am a strong advocate for modesty, but I would not have a problem putting victor in an outfit like that. Sheesh, i let him mosey around in just a diaper when it's hot!
June 10th, 2011, 11:09 PM
ahahaha, that's true Elsa. Both Erin and Patrick spent a fair amount of time in just diapers or onesies half the time in the summer.

But Erin has never worn a sleeveless shirt/outfit. Dunno why that bugs me. I also hate short shorts on her.

June 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I let him hang out naked at home... I just meant for going out in public...

June 11th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In the end I think it's just whatever you're comfortable with. If it makes you feel uncomfortable to have him sleeveless it's easy and reasonable to throw on a onesie underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
I also hate short shorts on her.
I couldn't agree with you more on this subject. What bugs me the worst is little girls in bikinis.
June 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa View Post
I couldn't agree with you more on this subject. What bugs me the worst is little girls in bikinis.
Ugh, I know! I know so many people who are "oh, but it's so adorable!" and it just makes me cringe.

June 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Teach it from the beginning. I would have my dd hang out in just her diaper when it was hot but I would never take her out in the public like that. She's at the age now where she will strip all of her clothes off if it's way hot outside. And I will go put them back on. People will say she's young and it's hot just let her be naked but I don't want her to. If it's hot I'll put her in her swimsuit to help keep her cool. I have a friend that has 4 young (the oldest is 6) children and she won't let them be naked around the house either.
July 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
As a baby I wouldn't stress it. Let him wear it at home or put a onsie under it. I am constantly awazed by what the teen girls wear to church and some of the sisters too. Personally with a onesie I am more alarmed with "underwear" hanging out.

We couldn't find a modest swim suit for Scarlett so we went boy this year. Plus she is fair and I did not want to deal with a fried baby.

Last edited by Happy Song; July 2nd, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
July 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
aubbydobby
Okay... I'm delurking to weigh in on this.

I am probably THE ONLY ONE here who disagrees with you guys. Now, y'know I love ya... but I am one of those heathens who thinks little girls in bikinis (I'm talking little, little...) are kinda cute with their round little bellies and ruffly bum suit bottoms sticking out. I don't like extreme shortie-shorts on littles... but as long as the hem falls below my kid's fingers, I'll let her wear them.

My parents were VERY strict on the modesty thing, and while I was mostly adherent to the rules, there was one school trip to Disney where I wore tank tops and didn't feel bad about it. It was 110 degrees, and FLORIDA humidity. I was from Minot, ND. Back home was around 40-50 degrees. I was dying. I see no problem with that.

Bottom line, as long as my kid doesn't look like a Bratz doll, I'm okay with tank tops or shorts. I'm okay with kid appropriate two-piece swimsuits. I think "muscle tees" on little boys are adorable. If my sons want a mohawk and they want me to spray-dye it green, I'm happy to do so. Am I insane? Probably. Rebellious? Definitely. Will this come around to bite me on the butt? Most likely. At any rate. Parenting (IMHO) is about what feels right to YOU for each individual kid.

Okay. So... there ya go. :-)
July 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Lynsann's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to agree with the PP. My kids live in these when they're little. Personally, if I saw your little guy in that outfit, it would NEVER cross my mind about immodesty. Then again, it's 110 degrees outside where I live right now. LOL. I laughed out loud at the Bratz doll comment.
July 26th, 2011, 05:58 PM
mrsgranchango's Avatar Resident Thread Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubbydobby View Post
Okay... I'm delurking to weigh in on this.

I am probably THE ONLY ONE here who disagrees with you guys. Now, y'know I love ya... but I am one of those heathens who thinks little girls in bikinis (I'm talking little, little...) are kinda cute with their round little bellies and ruffly bum suit bottoms sticking out. I don't like extreme shortie-shorts on littles... but as long as the hem falls below my kid's fingers, I'll let her wear them.

My parents were VERY strict on the modesty thing, and while I was mostly adherent to the rules, there was one school trip to Disney where I wore tank tops and didn't feel bad about it. It was 110 degrees, and FLORIDA humidity. I was from Minot, ND. Back home was around 40-50 degrees. I was dying. I see no problem with that.

Bottom line, as long as my kid doesn't look like a Bratz doll, I'm okay with tank tops or shorts. I'm okay with kid appropriate two-piece swimsuits. I think "muscle tees" on little boys are adorable. If my sons want a mohawk and they want me to spray-dye it green, I'm happy to do so. Am I insane? Probably. Rebellious? Definitely. Will this come around to bite me on the butt? Most likely. At any rate. Parenting (IMHO) is about what feels right to YOU for each individual kid.

Okay. So... there ya go. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynsann View Post
I have to agree with the PP. My kids live in these when they're little. Personally, if I saw your little guy in that outfit, it would NEVER cross my mind about immodesty. Then again, it's 110 degrees outside where I live right now. LOL. I laughed out loud at the Bratz doll comment.
I have to de-lurk as well; I haven't been on here in forever. Today's weather was 110 degree heat index with 70% humidity & we had to take Julian to the pediatrician. I always start him off in a proper outfit, but the problem is that he inherited his father's extreme heat intolerance, so I can't afford to keep him "modest" in weather like this. By the time we got home, he had a diaper and overalls. I have taken him out in public in just a diaper (to the hubs' work) before. When he is older, of course we'll teach modesty, but right now, it's just not a priority. I've never even really thought of it for babies; just older kids and teenagers; that's when it counts.

July 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Lynsann's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Jackie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search