Television and Morals

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is it just me or is tv really going down hill? I have been really peeved lately that shows like "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" are on "family" networks. I watched an episode last night. The show starts off with the "Viewer discretion is advised" warning. These teens are having sex all the time, getting pregnant, and drinking and they don't get any consequences! They live in nice apartments and have nice cars! Are we TRYING to teach our teens to do this stuff? Why even bother calling ABC family? Why not call it Skank TV? It seems like the only safe channel these days is Disney. Don't even get me started on the "Teen Mom" shows on MTV.

I am really getting scared about how hard life is going to be for Peter. How is he supposed to chose the right when this stuff is being portrayed as cool? If it's this bad now, it's going to be so much worse for him. I especially worry about him since DH is against the church.

Sorry, just venting!

Last edited by stargatemommy; July 12th, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
July 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree that television is getting worse and worse. I cannot believe the stuff they allow on prime time tv!
July 13th, 2011, 07:19 AM
That's why we just disconnected the tv and just watch movies that we've chosen as appropriate. It scares me to think what the kids are going to be faced with as they grow up, I thought it was bad when I was a teenager but it was nothing compared to what they have now.
July 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Yeah, I do the same as sharpshooter. We watch movies or stuff off the internet that we've decided is appropriate. I liked Glee for a while, but it just got too much for me and I don't watch it anymore.

It's a crazy world we live in.

July 14th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
No, actually, I don't think it's getting worse. I think we just remember what is currently out there much more clearly and gloss over the negatives of the older stuff. We recently watched some movies from the 80s. Wow, the language. The F-word was WAY more common in PG and PG-13 movies than it is now. I'm not into reality TV except for Toddlers and Tiaras (train wreck), Sister Wives (train wreck #2), and 19 Kids and Counting (really awesome family and NOT a train wreck). I've never seen the ones you mentioned nor do I care to. I don't watch many regular TV shows. I like Psych and Melissa and Joey a lot, and, truly, they are not worse than a lot of stuff from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that what is allowed on television is getting worse and worse. And "Secret Life" is a wolf in sheep's clothing if you ask me. Brittanie, I agree about Glee. I liked it at the start, but then season 2 seemed to be actually teaching and encouraging immorality, drinking, etc., and even making fun of a more moral viewpoint. I called it quits on Glee after the first few episodes of season 2. We don't have any kind of TV subscription anymore, and we do the same that has been mentioned. We only play things we know to be appropriate when Charlie is around. And it's nice to not have the negative outside influences coming into our home unrestricted. Now I've noticed that when I am at another house and the TV is on just to be on, I am super sensitive to what is being shown, even (maybe especially) in the ads. Especially all the crime shows. And the language they can use on stations outside of the main networks is surprising. For instance, I watched an episode of "Suits" (TBS, I think) on Hulu last week. It was a pretty good show, but I was surprised at the language in the first scene. It seems like maybe they pushed the limits just because they can, which I think is dumb. Luckily, it was only in the first scene and the rest of the show was better.

Do they even make shows like "The Cosby Show" anymore? Something that is clever and entertaining for the whole family without having to use sex to keep people interested? The thing is, people (not just prudes like me) appreciate that higher level of entertainment that doesn't rely on the cheap stuff, but there's just not a lot of it out there (at least that I am aware of).

That being said, I do agree with Heather that it's also perspective (sidenote: I also love "Psych"). Sometimes I am surprised by shows I know I liked as a kid, and upon a new viewing I realize they aren't as squeaky as I thought. "Overboard," for example. As a kid, I loved that movie. We watched it a couple months ago, remembering it to be a good family movie, but it was actually a lot worse than I remembered!

I'm long-winded. I know.

Last edited by Sneetch; July 14th, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
July 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
That perspective thing is a good point. I've watched older shows and been surprised by stuff that I obviously didn't understand since I don't remember it was there. lol

July 14th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
We gave up TV over 5 years ago. I liked Glee but I refuse to allow my Teen to watch it and I won't watch it when he is a round either. But I stopped watching about when Brittanie did.

I am watching Teen Mom. I am actually trying to determien how the parents should act. I pretty much dodged the bullet on this one my 21 YO has a two year old and the baby's mama was 16 when she got pregnant.

I can't think of any decent TV on to watch with my kids either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search