My Family Doesn't Approve

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Mommy of Four!
My family does not approve of me becoming a part of the LDS religion. My mother, in fact, tells me that this is a cult church, that I have been brainwashed, and even tells my children that it's a worship place for the devil. I have tried explaining the truth to her, but as it often does, truth falls on deaf ears. She will not investigate for herself, she has taken wrong beliefs from others as her own, and will not listen to me. I have stopped trying to convince her, we don't even speak about Mormons or church...we barely speak at all anymore. I love Heavenly Father, I love my ward, this is right for me....but it's sad as well because I have found the true church and am delighted by that, but my joy is slighty disrupted because my family believes I am no longer christian and they express that whenever they feel like it. How do I cope with this and have you ever had situations like this happen to you in your family?

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!
November 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I am so sorry that your family is doing this. I was born into the LDS religion so my family has always been supportive. I do know others that have gone through the same thing as you. My DH is one of them. He was baptized on his 18th birthday because his parents wouldn't allow him to be baptized. They didn't go to our wedding. They don't really accept me as their daughter, although I am glad they love Marsi. It has been really hard for my DH to know his parents don't approve. It has been 11 years for him and he has to tell them to lay off of the anti Mormon stuff. It will be interesting when Marsi is old enough to understand them and how we will deal with the anti stuff as a family.

I feel really bad that they are telling those things to your children. That is where I would be hurt the most. I am glad that you are staying so strong through this. Satan works the hardest on us when he knows that we are making the best choices.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

November 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I totally agree with Rachel. I'd be most hurt about what they're saying to the children too.

I was also born into the church, but my sister-in-law has had her name removed from the roles of the church and is fairly anti. She's gotten better about not saying things, and had NEVER said things like that to my kids (I'd be REALLY upset if she did!), but it is hard.

Keep close to the Lord and let the spirit guide you. Maybe after a while, after they see how happy you are, they'll reconsider a little.

November 22nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Mommy of Four!
I was furious about the comments to my children and quickly put an end to it, at least from what I know. My children have not told me she says those things to them anymore, but to me she does.

November 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I just want to say you are an amazing and strong woman. I don't know if I could do what you are doing. Converts to the church are so strong. I take for granted being LDS my whole life. It shouldn't take stories like this for me to gain a stronger testimony. But, thank you so much for sharing because it has made my testimony stronger.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

November 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm sorry. I've been a member all my life, but my parents are converts. My dad's parents were sure they'd joined a cult. My mom's grandparents were sure my sister (who was born less than a year after they joined) would die and go to hell because she wasn't baptized at birth (my mom had been Catholic). After many years my dad's parents realized it wasn't a cult after all. My parents were still the same people they'd always been and hadn't been made to do anything weird due to their religion. My mom's grandparents (her parents were already dead) actually became okay with my parents' conversion when their son, a Catholic priest, told them not to worry, my family would be fine. Hopefully over time your family will chill out.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

November 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry that your parents aren't able to listen to the truth. It's hard when you find the truth to hear others telling you that you are wrong as you want them to know the truth as well. I was also born into a family that were members of the church, so I can't offer advice on how to deal with it. Just know that as you take this great step in your life, Satan will try to stop you anyway he can, even if it's by your family not approving. Hang in there, be strong, and keep praying.

December 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Mommy of Four!
Thank You very much for your support and kind words

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search