Book of Mormon boy names

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anexia

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM
My DH and I cannot decide on a boy name. He wants something religious for our kids to try to live up to. I don't want something weird or too obviously Mormon (which he says, "but we are Mormon". For girls we've agreed on Emma Elizabeth, Nicki Ester, Faith, and Grace (middle names not figured out for the last two, so you can suggest those if you want too. As you can see religious names, but not overly obvious. For boys I wanted something like Thatcher or Graham, and have a religious middle name, but he wants something like Nephi or Helaman, but I think it's a little weird. At one point I caved and said Nephi Graham and Helaman Luther (I'm a big Martin Luther and MLK fan), but they still seem weird, and everybody seems to agree that the girl names are good, but the boy names are too strange. I need more religious boy names to try out. I'm okay with GA names. I like Dallin, but we already have a nephew named that, and double cousin names is not fun to me either.
July 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I have had students with Solomon, Helaman, and other names. There are the modern ones like Joseph, Brigham, and the other prophets and apostles. I don't have an inclination towards religious names myself so I don't have too much to input. Are you currently pregnant? If you are congratulations!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Why not choose a bible name. There are loads of bible names that are widely used and religious...like Aaron, Caleb, Luke, Jacob, Michael etc. I happen to love the name Graham...in fact I love it so much I just named my new baby boy that! I agree that most Book of Mormon names seem a bit weird, but I have a brother named Ammon and I never really think of his name as weird. People have a tendency to just grow into their names whatever they are.
July 14th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran
My 5 year old is Ammon. No one is surprised by it. We don't live in a very LDS area. Maybe it would be different if he lived in Utah but here it's just another name. We actually didn't want a religious name but it was the only name we could agree on.
geogeek likes this.
July 16th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not into religious names either. Ammon is the only one I'd consider. Its also a Biblical name. There are so many good Bible names that aren't out there. Really nice normal names that have passed the test of time and have great stories behind them.

July 17th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
There are some popular boy names in the BoM, too, like Jacob and Joseph. Lots and lots of Biblical names are common as well. I have one with a middle name of James and another with a first middle name of David. Both are Biblical (but neither of my boys were names those names because they are Biblical - they are family name). We had a friend named Alma. No one outside the church thought anything odd of his name. Oddly enough, my mom had a friend named Alma who was a Baptist female. I've heard of a couple other women name Alma as well. Because of that, when i met the male Alma we know it was kind of weird because in my mind Alma is a woman's name in spite of the male BoM connection.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search