Your Conference experience

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just thought it would be fun to give our experiences of Conference, what we did and what we learned. Whether we watched or listened to it later or whatever.

**Here is mine. Saturday Dh and I listened together and wrote notes. My sis who is going to BYU came down since she would be all alone if she didn't. She stayed the night at my house. My in-laws were going crazy with broken down cars, taking my niece to the doctor and loosing car keys. I stayed with them until 10:00 pm and then got home to head to the store with my sis- she claimed she needed to go to the store and I thought it was because she was the poor starving college student with no car, turns out she wanted to go so she could pull pranks on her roommates for April Fool's day. The next day my brother who lives down the street and is going to college came, my sister who lives with my dad and has major issues right now, my sis from BYU and my other sister who lives 2 hours away with her Dh and two kids. It was a mad house in my tiny apartment. My sister who is having problems really needed to hear this stuff, but purposefully fell asleep instead. We all listened intently to Elder Oaks speak specifically about divorce. That talk I am so serious was written JUST for my parents! The one thing is that my mom will listen to the first part that said something like "Some spouses have had one spouse make mistakes for years and years and they need to get out" or something to that effect. She will most likely turn off her brain after that and feel she is justified even though it is also speaking about her many years of offenses too. The rest of it talked about thinking about the children first and not giving into the whole "its better for the children to be in a split home" thing. He also said that splitting up doesn't make people any happier than if they stayed together and tried to work it out since other problems arise because of it. Also that if there is ANY hope of life in the marriage divorce should not be sought out. And that everyone thinks that their situation is unique and different and doesn't apply to them. I don't think this talk will change anything in my parents. I feel like it was trying to be a wake up call for my mom to not go through with it next month. I don't think she is spiritually able to listen at all. Anyway, it was interesting to have half of my parents kids listening to the talk that is meant for them and knowing it won't do anything to change it. Good thing the forgiveness talk was right before it. Other than that we had a great time. It was so touching to be with my family and sing the hymns together. I really miss them and I miss the spiritual closeness we had when everyone was together. I love Conference and get excited every time!

Share some of your experiences. I'd love to read them!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That was a great talk about divorce! There were a few points that especially hit me, like the point about how people who were unhappy in the marriage and think the divorce will make them happier are actually less happy after the divorce. And how much it affects the kids to have a divorced family, rather then an unhappy whole one. Very touchy subject, but I think it was given wonderully! And I was thinking about you and your family at that time.

We spent Saturday morning at home while my daughter took a nap and we took notes. Then for the afternoon session we took a drive and listened to it on the radio. Sunday morning we spent at home again, and Sunday afternoon was with DH's family. I really enjoyed it! I mean, all of the sessions. The ones that stand out in my mind was the talk given about prayer (it was the first talk), the talk by Elder Holland given about the words we use, and how there was more then one talk about how we are Christians in the very sense of the word! I can't wait for the May issue to come out so I can reread some of those talks. I swear there were instances when I was scrambling to write down what they were saying, and couldn't keep up and just thought, "ok, another talk I'm going to have to go over and digest."

Anways, it was all good. I'm glad you had some good times with your family. It's a good time to be with family and take it all in.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

April 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i listened very carefully to the divorice one too. not for any particular reason i wish dh could have heard it, i know i can still go back and watch it with him, i just need him to agree to it. he seems to think that every answer to a fight is divorice....he's weird.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search