Church just got so hard!

Forum: LDS Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To LDS Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Keira's birthday is tomorrow, and the last couple of weeks she has turned frmo easy quiet baby at church, to active loud, cranky toddler! Church has never been REALLY hard (it's been hard, but not impossoble) but I feel my days of even paying attention a little bit are coming to an end until my kids are older. It's been getting especially hard as my belly grows and makes it harder to chase and wrestle her. I think it's time for her to be disciplined and learn how to be at church. Yesterday I only made it part way through sacrament meeting with her, and then it was time for a nap, so I had to take her home and miss the rest of church! I hate doing that! I guess what my brother said is really ringing true right now. You better be sure and have a testimony of the church and a strong habit of going before you have kids, because it's far to easy to miss a lot of church when you had kids. *sigh*

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

April 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry church has been hard for you. I remember all that. For awhile it was my difficult baby and my Dh had to work on Sunday- every Sunday. When she was about 3-7 months I went by myself and then again when she was 8-14 months I was alone and teaching 6 sunbeams by myself with a crying baby and no one to help me. It was REALLY hard! I wondered why I went anymore especially since I was in the Primary and never heard anything strong like Relief Society stuff. I stayed in the Primary for another year and finally my Dh was able to be back at church for a long time so when she hit the cranky toddler stage at least I wasn't alone- but was now moved to the nursery. She would scream and cry and we constantly went to the foyer and finally we realized she cried so she COULD go to the foyer. So instead we found a corner somewhere or an empty room and we sat her there and sat by her. Soon she realized it was a lot less fun to be out of the chapel than in and she was quite. It might help with your DD? Anyway, It is still worth it even though I felt like you for about 2 years. It won't be like this forever and I know being pregnant has got to make it 10 times worse.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the hugs and sympathy. This to shall pass, right? I'm not quite sure what to do, but next Sunday we will be facing this head on! I plan to do a similar thing as you did when Keira gets old enough to understand it. I had a seminary teacher who told us that whenever his kids made a fuss in church he'd take them out and go to the bathroom and sit them on the changing table and just stare at the child until the child said he was ready to go back in and be good. No rewards for a crying child in church. DH's dad did a similar thing, but a little harsher. He would take them out in the foyer and hold on to their arm so it was almost pinching and if the kids tried to squirm it would pinch. DH said even though he hated it, it worked because none of his siblings (all 7 of them) acted out in church much.

Anyways, I don't think we've gotten to that stage quite yet, but it is to the stage where we have to do something. *sigh*

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

April 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry she's acting up. One thing that I do with my boys when they act up is take them to the foyer and they have to stay in my arms, they can't get down to play. Ed usually calms down fairly quick and we can go back in. Brandon's a different story, but he has an austism spectrum disorder and doesn't know how to self regulate too well, so sometimes I'm out in the stairwell with him kicking and screaming during the majority of sacrament meeting.

April 10th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
don't i know how that is. i can go to my ward just fine, the girls are in nursery and wyatt still behaves. but when it comes to sacrament, i usually go to my parents ward. then there's an adult for every child. it's been so easy for me to not go to church. i remember when emelia got to that stage, i just took her to nursery. but the nursery teachers are friends of mine and they said as soon as my kids can crawl they'll take them. but i guess that's for class, sometimes i try and avoid sacrament all together. which is not good. just stick with it. it may take a few weeks for her to get used to it. i bring books and colors and quiet things to keep the kids occupied.

April 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think most kids go though that. We've been through that with both of them. Still do with Michaela to some extent, but it's getting better! Just hang in there! I know it's tough! They're usually content with coloring books, reading books, and snacks. You may have to wait a bit before your DD is interested in those though. I think around the time they were old enough for nursery, was when those things helped.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search