Tristan's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
alleusion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess there really isn't too much to tell. I had posted on Tuesday (12/15) that I had been given the official date of my c-section as 12/21. Wednesday, DH and I sent the older kids off to school and drove out to get my OHIP card / number. The place where we were going was almost an hour away and we were really hoping we had the right papers. Our landlord had broken his wrist, so we didn't have a copy of the lease yet, only a letter of guarantee from the man.

So, we got there and first were told that the letter was no good. We needed the lease or something else from their "approved" list of proof of residence paperwork. Then the guy behind the counter told us that our permanent resident papers plus the letter we got back in November of 08 approving us as applicants wasn't enough to set my eligibility date to Nov 08, and I would be starting my 3 month waiting period that day...meaning we would be paying out of pocket for the birth. Fun fun....but, we argued with him that the law was changed (he should know) and we were told by immigration and by an OHIP official just that morning that the letter was good. He went and checked, came back and apologized, saying he'd been away from work for 6 months and in fact, the law was changed on April 1, 2009. He said as soon as we had proof of address, they would back date my OHIP and I'd be covered for the birth.

YAY, but meh on having to wait. So, I was sitting down, not feeling well while DH updated our address on Emily's and his cards when the man decided to just go ahead and give me the card / number anyways. We were so happy, we didn't make him do cards for the older kids at that time, we'll do theirs when OHIP comes to our town and we have an appointment (they come every Monday).

After a quick but late lunch, we start the drive back home. On the way home, I have one of my normal BH contractions, except this one came with a burning sharp, throbbing pain just above my old c-section scar. While disconcerting, I brushed it off. Over the course of the afternoon, I kept having this more and more. After dinner, DH, DS and I went to the store and not only did I continue to hurt, but could barely walk. On the way home, I told DH I wanted to go in and get checked.

We got to the hospital and hooked up. The contractions were not strong and not regular, but I knew this....I wasn't going in thinking I was in labor. I was in there because of the weird scar pain. This was about 8pm. My doctor was called and it was decided that they would keep me overnight for observation and monitoring. I sent DH home to get a few things and settled back. The nurse kept coming in my room and taking the strip of paper away that showed the baby's heartrate and contractions.

Next thing I know, she comes in and says they called my Dr, he was on his way and we were delivering tonight. They said his heart rate was all over the place; from 110 to 172. They were concerned enough that they wanted him out. DH walked in the room in time to see four nurses surrounding me, starting IVs and asking questions. The anaesthetist asked if I wanted to be asleep or awake, we discussed options regarding my low iron. DH called his parents (who lived nearby,) and asked them to bring a camera since he hadn't expected to need one.

They were worried about my blood pressure dropping too low, so I had an arterial line put in my wrist to give me blood and check my pressure. Surgery started and baby was evicted at 11:47pm Eastern time with a strong set of lungs. I was put overnight in ICU because of the arterial line; the staff in that section knew how to treat and diagnose issues with it best, and it was just around the corner from the maternity wing.

I didn't get to see him until he was about an hour old, but DH was holding him while waiting. I only got to see him for an hour at first because of his HUGS tag. Some kind of alarm on his ankle that locks the building down if he leaves a designated area of the hospital. After that, I saw him every 2-3 hours for feeding and mommy/baby time. With all the morphine coursing through my system it was probably safest, just in case I dozed off while holding him.

Around lunch the next day I was moved back to the maternity wing and then got to hold Tristan full time, unless I wanted to nap, in which case I could put him in the bassinet or have the nurses take care of him for me if he was awake and I couldn't keep my eyes open.

Looking forward, they're going to be giving me routine iron infusions to help with my low blood iron. Breastfeeding is a work in progress, being supplemented with a little tube of formula since my milk hasn't come in in full yet.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for the gorgeous sig

December 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, what a cutie! I'm glad everything ended up OK!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
December 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
awe what a little sweetie, Congrats

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

December 20th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He is so cute! Congrats!

December 21st, 2009, 05:56 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Congratulations!
December 21st, 2009, 07:43 AM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
Wow! What an intense time you had! I'm glad he's safe, healthy, and ok! He is sooooo cute I love the pic of you and the 2 kids!

(oh, and yay for insurance, too!)

~~~~~~
December 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww! He's so TINY and perfect! What a doll! Congratulations!

December 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Jenny! Sounds like a bit of a whirlwind birth! I'm glad you both are healthy. He is a cutie!

Major
December 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's just perfect! I'm so glad that you guys are both doing well! Love the picture of you, him & Emily! So sweet!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Congrats he is precious

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search