Owen's Birth Story, C-Section

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
AngelaMarie's Avatar Owen's Mommy
This is my 3rd baby but my first c-section so I've been wanting to write this all week but feel like I'm normally only on the board one handed.

Sunday the 13th they sent me for my regular NST because my OB was in the hospital that day. My swelling was terrible and BP was higher than ever but OB sent me home anyway saying we'd still go with planned induction on Thursday the 17th. I was really upset when we got home. I hadn't ever felt that terrible in my life. I forced Dh to go to work but instantly regretted it and called him to come home. In the meantime I started feeling so terrible I almost called 9-1-1. I ended up having a seizure and was pretty much out of it when Scott got home. He called my OB and not sure what he said but I know it wasn't very pleasant. When we got to L&D we didn't even go to triage we were admitted immediately. They did an ultrasound to weigh Owen and some blood work on me. An hour later more blood work showed that I had HELLP Syndrome. The doctor came in and said this was it. He told me the u/s showed Owen at 8 lbs 8 oz which was borderline for size. The HELLP was just starting so he said I had a choice between vaginal and c-section. There was no way in hell that I was up for a vaginal birth. I felt terrible. So he reserved the OR and told us we had an hour before Prep. I spent the entire hour in a bubble bath in the bathroom trying to relieve the head ache.

Anethesia came in and could not start an IV. I already had infiltrated IV's in both hands from the mag earlier that week. The edema I had was crazy. Sun morning I'd gained 9 lbs since Friday's weight check. Early Monday it was up to 16 lbs. My feet were unreal to look at. So they tried to stick me over and over. He finally was going to put the IV in my neck but I flat out refused. He was able to start it in my right foot. They decided since I'd been having seizures to try and get an epidural started in the room for whatever reason. After 3 tries the anesthesiologist gave up. I've never had an epi but will say that was pretty much the worst pain I've felt this entire pregnancy. He kept going "Whoops Bone...bone again," Ummmm hello I'm a human here jerk!

So by the time we go to OR I'm a crying mess. I begged my OB not to put me under. He said he had everyone that was working in the hospital in Anesthesia at the time in the OR and someone would get the spinal tap started. Dh had to stay behind. I have no clue how many people attempted the spinal tap. I will just say that a first year resident got it his first try. Thank God! Then I really freaked out. I think I told my OB 100 times "I don't want to feel anything...seriously...I really don't want to feel this." He finally said "Angela no one wants to feel surgery and I'm already half way done." I was really crying a lot though very worried about Owen. Dh finally came in just as they pulled Owen out. They warned me I'd feel tons of pressure. I really didn't feel much pressure at all. Just a shortness of breath briefly then it was over. Owen cried right away. I kept asking everyone what his blood sugar was but I think most people were ignoring me other than the student who got my spinal started. He stayed right with me the entire time. Nicest guy ever!! Dh was with Owen. I said to everyone that Owen was going to be my first bald baby. Everyone laughed really loudly then they brought him to me. I held him for a good 5 to 10 mins while they stitched me up. I could have kept him longer but I started shaking like a leaf so I told them to go get me his blood sugar. I was only gone from him for 10 mins before we went back to my L&D room. I know I felt fine just really really drugged. On video they are asking me if I have pain and I reply very groggily "No but I don't have any legs anymore." His blood sugar was fine and they gave him right back to me. He refused to nurse. In about 20 mins or so it was obvious he was having difficulty breathing so they took him to NICU and me upstairs to my post partum room.

I think about 5 hours later they finally let me get up and walk around. Dh helped me walk to the bathroom to clean up. I felt fine. I had brought a small pillow to hold to my tummy just in case but never really had any belly pressure. Just still that raging headache which lasted for 5 days. My blood pressures were all over the place so I had fall risk slapped to everything and wasn't allowed to breathe without someone helping me. I did get to go to NICU to be with Owen as often as I wanted. If he hadn't been sick at birth I don't feel like I'd have lost any bonding time with him which I was really really worried about.

His tests showed his gestational age was much less than we thought. Still struggling with some of the preemie things like not wanting to eat and being overstimulated very easily. I feel like I'm constantly on the move now. Overall though the recovery has been a breeze. I really think it's because I had to get up and move around so much to see Owen. They tell you to move a lot afterwards and I believe that to be true. I've really never had pain. My incision site is numb. Every once in a while I feel a small pinching or something but other than that it was really simple.

I can honestly say the c-section was incredibly easy compared to what hard labors I normally have. The amount of bleeding afterwards surprised me. I really felt like I'd bleed less...wrong! I read so much advice about c-sections. I took my own underwear and comfy pajamas. I stayed in my own jammies and panties the whole time. Even though it was messy for some reason it made me feel much much better. I needed a lot more help with smaller things. Dh pretty much gave me my first shower. I'm very very private and very very shy so this last couple of weeks was really tough on me in that regard and Dh got to see me in a whole new light. The pain meds and the seizure meds they were giving me made me so light headed I didn't dare try shower alone. I stayed as long as they would let me. I would have even if Owen wasn't in NICU. It's been a long week but glad it's all over and we're home with our little guy.
December 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
What an amazing story! I'm glad lil (big) Owen is doing well - I just can't get over that hair - sooo cute

CONGRATS!!!

~~~~~~
December 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow what an experience! I really appreciated reading all the details... it felt like I was right there with you! Owen is just adorable and seriously, baby hair just doesn't get any better than his! What a doll! Congratulations on your adorable son and I'm glad to hear you're having a fairly easy recovery after what a pain pregnancy was for you!

December 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing! What a story!!
I'm so glad that you're both home now and doing well. Congrats again!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow so sorry you had so much trouble with the needles, that's not fun!

I am so glad you and Owen made it out safely. Your little one is just so precious and his hair is the best!

Thanks for sharing your story.
January 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
adam*s_mami's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an amazing story im so sorry u went through so much....

January 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I love his hair and I am glad that both of you are doing good.

January 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
What a scarey story, but I'm so glad things are going well now.
January 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Congratulations

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search