Major's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Scheduled C-sections never really make for fun birth stories, but here it is anyway

Due to Major's estimated size (9lb 14oz), I opted to schedule a c-section for 8:15am on December 28, 2009. DH and I arrived at the hospital at 6:15 so they could admit me, do some blood draws and prep me for surgery. We were taken back to the recovery room right outside of the L & D operating room, changed into a gown and DH into scrubs and got an IV. At about 8:10am everyone was ready so they wheeled me into the OR. They had a radio on and tuned into a pop station so I listened to Taylor Swift as they administered my spinal Right before the anesthesiologist began prepping my back, anxiety and worry set in and I started crying. Luckily, DH was there to comfort me. The anesthesia made me completely nauseous and I began sweating profusely and my BP and heart rate dropped. It was pretty scary, I had never felt that close to passing out before. They put some Zofran in my IV to help with the nausea and were able to get my BP back up. It's bad enough the amount of anxiety I was dealing with but when that happened, I seriously thought I was dying or something. Apparently though, it is pretty common. Once the spinal block had taken affect, I was just kinda laying there waiting for someone to let me know what would happen next. Then I realized that my upper body was moving from side to side and I asked if they had cut me yet. One of the nurses said "Yes hun, they are just about down to the baby." The miracle of modern medicine. So a few seconds later I hear them suctioning so I knew he was about to come out. One of the nurses asked my husband if he wanted to see his son be born so he stood up as they pulled Major's head out. Within seconds, he was out completely and under the heat lamp. He was crying but it wasn't a good cry. He kinda sounded like a car that was trying to start.... there was noise but he wouldn't quite turn over and really wail. DH went over and was taking some pics of him. He was behind me so I couldn't really see anything that was going on. The nurses cleaned him up and swaddled him and brought him over to me. I couldn't even see what he looked like cause the blanket was in his face. They told me they were taking him to the NICU for observation because he had swallowed fluid and wasn't breathing as well as they wanted him to.

Once I got stitched up, they wheeled me to recovery to let the spinal wear off. After about 15 mins there the nurse said she got word of Major's weight but was going to wait to let DH tell me. I couldn't wait so I told her to tell me and I was kinda shocked when she said 10lbs 1oz Apparently the margin of error on growth ultrasounds isn't that great if you have a really experienced person doing it. I spent a total of about 2 hours in recovery. DH floated back and forth between me and Major, showing me pics of him that he had been taking. All I wanted to do was hold my baby I had spent 9 months growing this baby and it was like torture having to wait to meet him and hold him.

Finally, they said my room was ready and they said Major was doing good and was going to meet me in my room. So they wheeled me to my room and about 30 minutes later, they wheeled in my little munchkin 3 hours after he had been born, I FINALLY got to hold my baby boy. I started bawling. The feeling of love you feel when you meet your child for the first time is overwhelming.

Major

Last edited by Nicole1110; December 31st, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
December 31st, 2009, 12:34 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Congrats Nicole!! He is so cute!!
Glad you both are doing well!!

December 31st, 2009, 03:38 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Awww, congratulations! I can't believe what a big baby he is! You certainly made the right decision to do the c-section!! He's beautiful!
December 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachelC
CONGRATS!! He is just too stinking cute!

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

December 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's gorgeous!!!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
December 31st, 2009, 06:36 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
Aww, hes beautiful.. congratulations, and I think your story is awesome!!!
December 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM
*Mommy2Camden*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is SO precious! Glad you are both doing great!

December 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! He is adorable!

December 31st, 2009, 08:58 PM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats!!! he is sooo cute!
December 31st, 2009, 10:46 PM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Nicole! He is so adorable!

I felt the same way when I was getting the epidural. I actually threw up as the anesthesiologist was putting in the needle!! I couldn't control the nausea and anxiety!

Glad you are both doing well. Enjoy your bundle of joy!
December 31st, 2009, 11:28 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
omg Major looks just like you!!!! What a cutie! I had to laugh b/c when you said

Quote:
One of the nurses asked my husband if he wanted to see his son be born so he stood up as they pulled Major's head out. Within seconds, he was out completely and under the heat lamp.
I totally thought you meant your husband was 'out' .. like he passed out, and then I was like wait why did they have to put him under a heat lamp?

January 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM
alleusion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations Nicole! He's gorgeous. My BP bottomed out 3 times with Emily and had the anesthesiologist concerned enough this time to do an arterial IV in addition to the 2 other IV's I had. They asked DH if he wanted to watch / cut the cord and he told them he was too squeamish and they'd be picking him up off the floor.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for the gorgeous sig

January 1st, 2010, 06:40 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw...I loved your story! Made me tear up at work! I'm so glad you are both doing well. Major is quite the handsome little guy. Congrats again!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, he is such a cutie!! Thanks for sharing your birth story!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
horrormoviefan
oh nicole he's so handsome. Yes I was shocked by the u/s weight guesses too for Alexander. I know how it feels to want to hold him so bad. They made me wait too and in the nicu it was the worst. I can't wait to hear updates! Congrats!
January 1st, 2010, 10:43 AM
Teri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww - congrats! He is so cute! Just a perfect little man!

January 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
Congratulations, Nicole!!! I am so happy for you! Major is such a cutie!

~~~~~~
January 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Bekki
Congrats! He is gorgeous. Enjoy being a mommy..it's the best thing in the world.
January 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
awee your last line totally brought tears to my eyes! I can't wait to experience that same feeling. Congrats on becoming a mommy your little one is so handsome!!

January 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM
SavannahGAMama's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrtulations on a very, very handsome baby boy! He's a keeper!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search