Savannah's Birth Story - Long w/ Pics!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
On Jan 5th we went to Bethesda for my regular OB appt. We were both a little nervous since they were talking about induction at our last appointment but we didn't really think we'd be talking about that again. When I went and got my stats done my blood pressure was elevated (about 145/100) – weight was down by a point – (for a total weight gain of 26 pounds).

We got called back into the room where they manually took my pressure – still elevated at about 135/95. The Doctor came in – checked my cervix (50% effaced – no dilation) uterus was measuring at 36.5 weeks. We talked for a few minutes about the past week and everything that's been going on. She then informed us that she wanted me to go to the laboratory for blood work and then to go straight up tp L&D to see what they wanted to do with me. I was freaking out a little bit since I really didn't want to be induced – but as my Doctor put it – there was nothing to gain by keeping me pregnant since I was already full term – but everything to lose in the case that everything wrong went worse.

Up to L&D we went – after sitting around for awhile we got taken back into a labor and delivery room where I was told to undress and get in bed. The Doctor came in soon after that to explain that they were in fact going to induce me – that the risks of keeping me pregnant were too high – especially with my blood pressure that just steadily kept on rising.

I was hooked up to the IV for saline fluids and Magnesium Sulfate for the Pre-E. Also found out at this time that I tested GBS+ so I got penicillin as well. Also got hooked up to the monitor to keep an eye on Savannah and any contractions. We then talked about induction methods – they wanted to start with Cytotec and then move onto Pictocin. Jeff and I really weren't comfortable moving forward with the Cytotec because of everything negative we had read online about it. After hearing this the Doctor decided to check me again since I was steadily having contractions every 3 minutes on the monitor (small ones couldn't even feel them). I was dilated enough where they were able to get a Foley Bulb Catheter in there (o forgot to mention that I also had a regular catheter since I couldn't get out of bed because of the Magnesium). That was placed a little before 6:30pm.

The Foley Bulb is to manually dilate your cervix to around 3cm – it's put in and blown up a little bit and then slowly pulled down every once in awhile until it can be pulled free. After about a hour I was also put on Pictocin to pick up the contractions to dilate my cervix more. Later on that night – the foley bulb was succesfully pulled out and I was dilated to about 2.5cm.. contractions got to be a little too much after that so I asked for something in my IV to help me sleep since I knew it was going to be a long day.

I woke up a few hours later to more painful contractions- dilated now to about 3.5 cm - a few hours later I heard a POP and then started to leak fluid – my water had broken on its own! After that my contractions got very very intense (this whole time they kept adjusting the pictocin dosage).. I dealt with it for awhile but it got to be too much so I asked for an epidural. The anesthesiologist came in to give it to me – the first time his kit was contaminated by the oxygen mask falling in it – second time he broke the glass vial and had to go to the ER to get stitches in his thumb. Sheesh! The head anesthesiologist came in after that and put the epidural in for me. Right away my blood pressure plummetted (89/54) and I started to vomit – after some different things in my IV – they got me stabilized and I felt loads better.

The contractions were easier to deal with after that – but I had been feeling loads of pressure the entire time. My nurse told me that baby was positioned OP (occiput posterior) and that it would be more painful and I'd feel it in my back more. Well she was right! Even with the epidural it was extremely painful – they kept having to give me doses of Fetanol in my IV because I couldn't handle the pain I was having. Around 12:30 pm on the 6th I was checked again – this time I was almost 6cm dilated and 80% effaced – we were super excited about that!

During all of this I was in extreme pain and unable to really move around at all because of all the medication I was on. I felt so much pressure that they kept checking me to see if it was time to push – each time my cervix would change – like at one point it was almost 6cm- then it was back down to 5cm and more firm. It was so frustrating to keep going backwards.

The Nurse who told me that Savannah was OP – was really awesome – she convinced the Doctors to put some more fluid in my uterus to try and get Savannah to move some and give me comfort (it didn't work) and she got permission to try different positions. I was allowed to go on my hands and knees on the bed and during each contraction the nurse and Jeff would put pressure on my hips/back while I rotated my hips to try and get Savannah to move so that I would progress more. It felt a lot better to have the counter pressure and to be in a different position other than flat on my back. After a hour of this I was checked again and still the same.

The anesthesiologist came in and redid my epidural since they couldn't figure out why I was still feeling so much. After that I felt better – just still felt all the insane pressure. The Doctors came in after that and let me know that if I hadn't made any progress by the next time they checked me that we'd be going in for a c-section. =(

I labored for 2 more hours – off the chart contractions every 2 minutes – at this point I was just really done and OK with having the c-section.. sure enough when the Doctor came back in to check me – I had made no more progress. They prepped everything for the c-section – turned off the pictoin – gave me more fluids and drugs. Jeff put on the lovely bunny suit and they rolled me back to the OR.

I remember being so worried beforehand that I would feel everything since I had so many problems with the epidural. But no I didn't feel any actual pain – just pressure and tugging – a very weird sensation.

Savannah was out at 7:47pm on January 6th – she weighed 7lbs 0.8oz and was 21 inches long. It was the most amazing feeling when they pulled her out and she started to cry right away – what a strong voice she has! Both APGAR scores were at a 9! I cryed the first time I saw her and it was only a quick peek over the sheet. Jeff got to cut the cord and hold her for the first time after they cleaned her up. I got to give her a kiss and then they left to go next door so I could get fixed up. They told me that Savannah was indeed OP and the way her head was positioned she wouldn't have been able to make it down the birth canal – she was basically stuck and each contraction pushed her head more into my pelvis – she had some minor head molding due to that. So her position coupled with the fact that my body couldn't make it past 6cm (probably because she wasn't there to put the pressure on my cervix) was the reason for the c-section.

Once we were in recovery I got to hold her – what a beautiful baby – I couldn't believe that she was here and mine. She latched on right away and has been a nursing champ every since. During our hospital stay she lost a few ounces – she was discharged weighing 6lbs 11oz. She's just doing perfectly! We are so completely in love with her!

Pics:

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by ~April04~; January 13th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
January 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry labor was so rough, but wow, what a gorgeous little girl you ended up with! Congrats again!
January 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
*Mommy2Camden*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you had such a ROUGH labor, but I'm so glad she's out safe and sound! What a beautiful little girl! Congrats!

January 9th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from Feb DDC. Your birth story scared the crap out of me, but I am so glad you got your beautiful baby girl! She is truly precious and I am so happy for you!!

January 10th, 2010, 06:14 AM
alleusion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats April, she's beautiful.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for the gorgeous sig

January 10th, 2010, 07:30 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you had such a rough labor and had to have a csection, but she is absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations!!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is so precious. I loved her coming home outfit when you bought it but it looks even better on her! I'm so glad your labor and c-section were worth it and you got your beautiful baby girl here safe and sound.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

January 10th, 2010, 09:56 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so happy for you April...Savannah looks just like you IMO. Congrats to you and Jeff!!!
January 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
What a scary but beautiful experience! Congrats, April! She is beautiful - and looks just like her 3D US (and her mommy)!

~~~~~~
January 11th, 2010, 05:59 AM
ChristinaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you had such a rough labor. Your little girl is gorgeous though so worth it right! I had the same issues with the epidural. They tried it twice on me and I was still feeling every contraction. I'm glad you guys are home now.

January 11th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Etph007's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a beautiful baby!!! That magnesium is ROUGH stuff! I'm sorry you had such a time!!
January 11th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ohh April! She's just so precious! I'm so happy she's with you and healthy and happy! Congratulations!!

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
January 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
~Sandy~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats April!!
January 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely sounds like a rough labor, but am glad Savannah made it safe and sound. She's gorgeous!! Congrats!

January 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Congratulations
January 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Sorry you had such a rough time, but she's beautiful! Congratulations!
January 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
she is gorgeous! Just perfect
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I hope you have a fast recovery.
January 12th, 2010, 08:02 AM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
Thank you She is completely worth everything I went through and then some - I'm so in love with her

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

January 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so happy for you guys! After all you went through TTC of course you couldn't have an easy birth She is beautiful!

Major
January 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
Congratulations April, she is beautiufl!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search