Log In Sign Up

Katie's Birth Story (having babies is easy :) )

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,150
I'm feeling GREAT! The friday the 8th I went in because I recognized that I had edema in my legs. (I had it with Carrie when I had "pregnancy induced hypertension") My BP was very very high (which it'd been really under control the whole pregnancy). They put me on bedrest and ordered a 24 hour urine test... I failed that pretty badly, so that made me pre-e AND gestational diabetic...

Doc called on Tues (the 12th) and told me he wanted to redo the tests... I was NOT thrilled! I'm 39 1/2 weeks preggo, diabetic and pre-e... I made it clear that I was not thrilled. He was unable to induce until the 21st and of course I started bawling. (DH goes to a Army school on the 25th, and I'll have no help at all). Doc found another doctor that was able to induce the following day! I jumped at the chance

We called MIL and she came up that same night to watch Carrie while I was in the hospital. I went in at noon on the 13th. At 1:30 they'd checked me in and everything and when they cecked me I was 1cm and 40% effaced, so they gave me cervadil and told me thatthey couldn't start pitocin for AT LEAST 12 hours.

Cervadil sent me into full blown labor! by 3 in the afternnon I was having titantic contractions (I also had them with Carrie, actually from the same meds) side note for anyone who doesn't know: titantic contractions suck it's where the contractions aren't spaced at all (like usually you time how close they are, titantic do no stop) and they peak higher.

I got the epidural a few hours after the titantic contractions started. Last time I had an epi I couldn't move my legs and I'm told that's normal. This time I had full control over everything. Even to the extent of wiggling each toe individually. Though i couldn't feel any pain, with the dextarity I maintained and the pain I'm experiancing in my back I'm not convinced the placing was 100% correct.

Anyways. At 9:00pm DD's pediatrician came in and explained how she's training to deliver, and asked if it was okay for her to be in the room while I had Kate. I loved the idea. I'm not a huge fan of the man that was set to deliver and I LOVE Carrie's pedi. At 10:00 pm I was checked. I was a "stretchy" 3cm and they were ready to break my water (since I was contracting on my own they were convinced my body would take over without pitocin).

At 10:15 Kate's heart rate plummetted. The nurse came in and tried oxygen, differant position, and all the normal things (not the first time it's gotten out of control, though usually it'd ben high). Soon there were 4 nurses and 2 doctors in the room trying to find out what was wrong with Kate's heart rate.

They gave me a shot that was supposed to level it out, THEN decided maybe they should check me. She was crowning. (which can make a baby's HR get very low, so I didn't actually need the shot).

At 10:20 after less than 2 minutes of pushing Kate was here! (Carrie only took 70 seconds of pushing, kate took barely longer).

I had been very worried during this pregnancy that this labor would be terribly difficult because Carrie had been so easy, but I lucked out twice. The whole experiance was easy and I was up walking around before midnight. No tearing or anything like that, so I'm set up for a pretty easy recovery.

I'm feeling great now. My back hurts some but other than that I was carrying Carrie comfortably the following day and I'm feeling better than I have in quite a while (I had terrible baby blues the week before Kate was born and I'm so happy thatmuch of it has subsided).

I think it's funny that in the end I ended up having her HOURS before they would have even been able to start the pitocin.

Kate is 100% healthy and eating like a little piggy... without having the sucking problems that Carrie had her chances of having the weight issues (and delays) are just that much lower.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
Reply With Quote
January 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Posts: n/a
Congrats on your baby girl! I had Vincent the exact same day and only 15 mins after Kate was born. hehe That's cute!
Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 715
yeah -- our babies have the same bday! I'm SO jealous you pushed so quickly!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0