Beau 1-13-10 (LONG + PICS)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Super Mommy
Birth story

9am Tuesday, Jan 12, I woke up feeling mostly the same as I had for several weeks – like baby was staying in forever! I had been losing my plug for 2 weeks, but showed no other signs of impending labor. But on that day I was having slight back cramps and just assumed it was from sleeping funny, or the uncomfortableness of being 4 days overdue.

10am - In the bathroom I was shocked to see a huge gob of “bloody show.” It caught me off guard, and kind of sent my heart racing. At the same time I realized I was still having the back cramps, and maybe slight period cramps and realized this could be it. I took a shower, shaved and tried to relax despite the bloody show throughout the morning increasing to almost look like a period.

11:30 - Called the OB around 11:30 and they said it could be labor and told me to time contractions. At that point though it was more of an erratic menstrual pain, and nothing to be timed.

1pm - My SIL came over with her kids for lunch & pain was getting more frequent & intense. And the bloody show was increasing every hour, which kind of freaked me out. She decided to stay with me until DH came home. I didn’t tell him anything until work day was over b/c he would have panicked. It wasn’t until 3pm when he was on the treadmill that I called him and finally let on that I might be in labor. I told him to finish his run, pick up his dry cleaning and not to rush b/c the pains were every 10 minutes and bearable.

4pm DH gets home, and pain was getting more intense by the ˝ hour. I called OB and they had a note from Dr that if I called again to just come in. So, 4:30pm we left for hospital. I swear, the timing could NOT have been more perfect. Not only did we barely beat rush-hour traffic, but the pain got REALLY intense in the care ride. It was strange though b/c in-between contractions I felt GREAT and thought, “this isn’t labor I feel stupid why are we going in?” but then one would hit and I would think, “Oh god, this IS it!”. I kept going back and forth in my head like that for hours.

5pm Got to hospital. Pain was so intense I had trouble standing at counter of L&D to fill out a form. They asked us to sit in the hallway until triage bed was ready. That took about 25 min, and pain was just getting more and more intense, and lasting a minute.

6:15 Dr finally comes in to see me after being hooked up to fetal monitor for 45 minutes. He said I was still a 2cm and needed more work before I could stay. Then things got ugly – during my cervix check I think Dr swept my membranes. He did SOMETHING with his hand that WAS THE MOST INTENSE PAIN I’ve ever felt in my life (even worse than anything that happened later). I yelled out and rolled to my side as he pulled his hand out and was starting to faint. The room was going black and I had a rush of heat over me. So, he definitely did something to help me along, which was good but he didn’t tell me it was coming and darn near killed me!. Then he said I had to walk for an hour to get things going so I could stay. After 5 min on the table catching my breath I was ready to walk. But walking was almost impossible – couldn’t go 5-10 steps without a contraction but DH and I did it for 60 minutes and got to 3cm by 7:30! We were staying

8pm was in the L&D room and made the single biggest mistake of this entire process – I let the nurse give me Stadol. HORRIBLE! In 60 seconds I went from being alert and managing the contractions to feeling HIGH/DRUNK/NAUSEOUS…oh, and still feeling my contractions! The room was spinning, I started vomiting in a bucket, sobbing to my husband “why did I let them give me this?!” me + narcatocs = TERRIBLE MIX!! And I still had pain! They gave me Zofran to counter-act the nausea and it took 2 hours to wear off. AWFUL AWFUL!! NEVER AGAIN!

10pm – Started to come out of my high and requested epidural. Anesthesiologist = MY ANGEL!! He had a great personality, and did an amazing job. I dreaded the needle for 9 months, but honestly it was the most painless part of having the baby! Just a slight jolt and 25 minutes later RELIEF! Never felt anything like it.

11:30p – No pain. Doctor came in and broke my water, felt the warmth of it but nothing else. He checked me and said I was a 4. Told me to sleep. And DH and I did just that. Despite my blood pressure machine going off every few minutes, I managed to string together sleep in 15-20 minute intervals all night long. It was MARVELOUS!! NO PAIN, and I got rest. And my husband was snoring for 5 hours which I knew was awesome b/c he’s so much better when he’s rested

5:30a- Nurse woke us and wanted to check me. At this point, I’ve had NO additional help from pitocin so I knew it could go either way – we could be dilated or not. I was THRILLED when she said was a 9 ˝ with a lip!! I had dilated on my own! She said we would be pushing soon.

6am – Doctor came in and gave me the all clear. Start pushing. He left to go deliver two babies while DH, nurse and I got started! DH started up the Ipod to make me feel at ease. It was still dark out when I started pushing, and sun came up as I was going through the motions.

I did a really bad job pushing – I could do a good 1st push, but lost my breath several times during the second and by the third (the most important push) I was dizzy, and couldn’t hold it for more than 4 seconds .I think my epidural was TOO good b/c I kept losing the urge to push. I can’t really explain it, but I would stop pushing down there and just feel like I was pushing my eyeballs out of my head. No very production.

715a – Doctor came in to help me. He had to turn the baby b/c he was posterior. Thank God for epidural b/c at one point his hand was in there doing something that looked REALLY intense and who knows what it could have felt like without drugs!

7:30 – Doctor said I’m going to need some help get baby out. At this point I needed oxygen and was losing steam fast. This doctor was leaving at 8am, and wanted me to deliver. He said the vacuum could get him out in a few minutes, or I could push for 90 minutes more. I was losing fading, feeling nauseous from not breathing and wanted him OUT so we said do it. Well, it took longer than 10 minutes, and some of the hardest pushing I’ve ever done in my life. At one point when his head was out the doctor told me to “Look at your baby’s head!” And all I said was “no no…can I just keep pushing!?!” It was the strangest feeling to feel that head between my legs. I was terrified of smushing him or something and at that point I felt the adrenaline surge to GET HIM OUT.

FINALLY …

7:51am – Beau was out! He looked HUGE to me. I gained 18lbs this pregnancy, and was told less than a week ago “don’t expect a big baby”. The doctors have said 6lbs all along…but I knew he was huge: 8lb 3oz to be exact!! Sunshine filled the room as I held my boy for the first time. There’s no way to describe the emotion.

I didn’t feel stitches (of course my gigantic baby yielded an episiotomy) or delivering placenta. Didn’t feel anything going on down there. And the best part is one of my favorite doctors got him out 9 minutes before getting off shift!!!! 2 hours of pushing…but it went quickly.

The recovery was ROUGH! I didn’t expect that at all. Labor was a breeze compared to 24 hours that followed. I couldn’t pee and needed a catheter for 24 hours after delivery. I pulled my neck pushing and felt miserable in the bed, barely could sit up. And my tailbone was throbbing so bad they thought I broke it. I couldn’t roll off my side in the bed. I felt like I couldn’t hold Beau until later that night, and I was sobbing from being so weak.

He’s so perfect though and I would do it all again in 2 seconds. Oh, and GOD BLESS THE ANESTHESIOLOGIST! I can’t say that enough

1 day old

2 days old - coming home from hospital

5 days old

Last edited by momtobandb; October 11th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
January 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
Congrats, he's adorable.

I felt the same way about my anesthesiologist.
January 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by toter View Post
Congrats, he's adorable.

I felt the same way about my anesthesiologist.

DITTO! They shoudl be on my permanant christmas list!

He's beautiful!

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! He's just precious!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He is absolutely adorable!
February 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Super cute!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search