Adisyn Emily's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 07:18 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Tuesday night was the start of my labor that was about to begin. I was up most of the night tossing and turning with mild contractions. They were not frequent enough to time or strong enough to keep me awake all night. On Wednesday I had some light bleeding that lasted all day. I knew labor would be beginning soon, and if it didnít Friday was not too far away where I was going to be induced.

I went about my day on Wednesday resting and a little bit of nesting. Just before Cadenís bed time is when the real contractions started. They were strong enough to make me stop and breathe through them and they lasted all through the night approximately 10 minutes apart. These contractions kept me awake ALL night long. I was exhausted on Thursday morning. I had called my midwife during the night to keep her updated on what was going on. She called me in the morning around 7:30am and by then my contractions slowed down. She asked that I keep my morning ultrasound and NST appointment with her.

I am so thankful I asked Ryan to stay home from work that night. He took me to my appointment, which the ultrasound was first. The ultrasound tech was only able to find two small pockets of fluid and she called my midwife in the room. Phone calls were made and schedules were shuffled. I was being admitted to the hospital to start the induction.

We checked into the hospital around noon. I was started on an IV and penicillin. My midwife came around 1:30pm and shortly after the Pitocin drip began. I was so nervous about the Pitocin and the pain that would come. I was ready for the epidural before they started, but had to wait. I was only 3cm dilated at that point.

The contractions picked up immediately with strength and frequency even on the low drip. Within 20 minutes Adisynís heart rate had decels; enough for my nurse and midwife to stay in the room monitoring and having me move in different positions to help with her heart rate. The pain was unbearable. I was begging for an epidural, but due to Adisynís decels I could not get one until it was under control.

My midwife upped the Pitocin drip and attempted to break my water. Either my water already broke or there was no fluid left. I was also 7cm dilated, which really shocked my midwife on how quickly I had progressed.

Adisynís heart continued with decels and a monitored had to be placed on her head to have a more accurate reading. Within 15 minutes of placing the monitor on her head I felt the urge to push. I remember seeing more nurses coming in and blue gowns and caps that were shaken out. I was given the go ahead to push after they were sure I was ready. After 3 pushes Adisyn was born at 3:56pm.

I could not believe how tiny she was when they placed her on my chest. It was unbelievable. The nurse took my oxygen mask from me and hovered it over Adisyn. She quickly turned pink and I could not take my eyes off of her.

While the nurses and Ryan took care of Adisyn my midwife was struggling to get the placenta out. It would deliver on its own and they needed to manually attempt to get it out. I was in so much pain as it was from the delivery and the first attempts of getting the placenta out, so they gave me morphine. It did not even touch the pain. The nurse finally called the OB doctor on call and it was determined that I would need to be sent to the OR.

The OB explained that I would be given a spinal to be comfortable, but there could be additional complications. He was concerned with the low fluid, Adisynís size and the fact the placenta would not delivered that it had attached itself to the uterine wall. If that was the case, he would have to do a hysterectomy as I could bleed out. Both Ryan and I were frightened. I cannot even begin nor do I want to think about the thoughts going through our heads during this time.

I prayed. I prayed so very hard.

Shortly after the procedure begin the OB came around to tell me the good news. Although I lost a substantial amount of blood he was able to get the placenta out. Thank the Lord above!

Adisyn and I stayed in the hospital for 48 hours before we were discharged to come home. It was a wonderful feeling to come home. Our family felt complete when we walked through the front door.

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
January 26th, 2010, 06:37 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, the placenta bit was scary. I'm glad everything ended up ok though!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
January 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad everything turned out ok. She is beautiful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search