We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
And finally I find the time to write this....babies are HARD WORK!!
I had my 38 week appt on Wed. Jan. 20th. I had a feeling before I went that something was not right because I had so much swelling the past couple of days and I just really didn't feel well. My appt went as usual. They did my cervix check and I was the exact same as last week (almost 2cm and 80% effaced), which was disappointing because I was SO miserable. I was hoping he would tell me I was almost ready and send me to L&D…hehe. Anyway, my OB came back in and said we needed to talk. He said that my blood pressure was way too high, my swelling was out of control, I had gained 5 pounds in the last week which had to be due to water retention, and I had protein in my urine. He said that everything was pointing toward Pre-E and since I was 38 weeks he didn't want to take any chances. He said I would need to be induced. At this point I was really in shock because I haven't had any pregnancy problems and I really wanted to go into labor naturally. I asked him when he wanted to do this and he said we have to do it right now. He went into all the complications that Pre-E causes and how I just needed to get the placenta out and there was no reason to wait. He told me I could take an hour to go shower and get my things. I left his office in a daze. I couldn't believe I was about to have this baby NOW. I called my husband and told him what happened and to meet me at the house. This was at about 2:00 p.m. Wed.
We got to the hospital about 3:00 p.m. They started the pitocin right away with an IV. My OB came in about an hour later and broke my water. I was having contractions, but not really painful ones yet. I had decided that I wanted to go as long as I could without an epidural, but I wasn't going to refuse one if I was in a lot of pain. About 6:00 I started having really strong contractions. They checked me at 7:00 and I was only 3 cm. They said the anesthesiologist was on call and would take about 30 min to get here so to let them know when I thought I would be wanted one. I told them I was going to try and hold out until I was a 4 or 5.
After 2 ˝ hours of extremely painful contractions and no progress I gave in and asked for the epidural. They checked me again right before the epidural and I was at a 4, so in a way I made it to the lower end of my goal. The epidural was amazing. I went from crying and complete misery to smiling and relaxing. I was actually able to sleep a bit. They checked me again an hour later and I was 8 cm dilated!! So much for the epidural slowing me down (which was one of my worries).
It was now about 11:00 pm. Something happened during that transition phase. My blood pressure was all over the place….too high then too low. Witten’s heartbeat dropped to 60 bmp and they couldn’t figure out why. It was really scary for me. All the nurses came in at once trying to stabilize us. They put me on oxygen, but never really told me what was happening. I think my anxiety of not knowing what was wrong made everything worse. This only lasted about 20 min. They said it was from me transitioning so fast. I have no idea what happened I don’t really think they did either, I was just happy to see Witten’s heart rate go back to normal.
I had 2 cm to go and was in no pain so I tried to rest to prepare for the pushing. The last 2 cm went my really slow. I reached 10 am at about 2:00 am and started to push. The nurse called my OB to come in while we tried to push the baby down as far as possible. My OB got there about 20 min later. I pushed for about 2 hours. His head was right there the whole time they think he was stuck on my pelvic bone somehow. (My sister had this same problem) My OB said we would have to use the forceps to try and guide his head under my pelvic bone. I was exhausted at this point and willing to do anything to avoid a C-Section, so I agreed. My OB inserted the forceps, I gave one good push and he was out. He was pretty blue and had the cord wrapped around his neck. He gave a kind of raspy cry at first, but that quickly turned into a loud squall. The nurses cleaned him off and gave him to me. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. 7lbs 8oz. 20 in. He had a pretty bad bruise on his cheek from the forceps, but other than that battle scar he was perfect. He has the really long skinny legs like his daddy, and the biggest baby feet I have seen. I was so happy. I couldn’t believe I had done it.
I had 2 second degree tears, which are still pretty painful. I am not sure if they were from the forceps or from the baby. It was all worth it though. My BIG goal was not to have a C-Section, which I know was pretty much out of my control, but I am happy how things went regardless. Here are a few more pics: