Jacob Gabriel's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember all the times exactly, and I'm way too lazy to go back and check my facebook posts to see when stuff actually happened. . .so hopefully I don't contradict myself too much!

I was just starting to get ready. . .hospital bag was packed, baby's things were ready. . .and the phone rings. The labor and delivery floor had an explosion of babies and there were NO beds for me! They had me call every hour or so to keep asking if they had a bed open for me for my induction. They kept saying no, the day was passing soooo slowly! I was so disappointed because I didn't anticipate the beds filling up. . .I live in a really small area. FINALLY around 1:30pm they finally told us to come in!

The nurses were really cranky because they were understaffed and I had the nerve to come in for my induction. They checked my cervix and my vitals and told me to go home, because my cervix wasn't favorable! They called my OB and told her my cervix wasn't favorable and she needed to call my room and tell me to go home. What they DID NOT tell my OB was that my B/P was really high. So my hubby talked to her and he told her my B/P and my OB was upset the nurses had tried to get rid of me rather than give her all the info so they started me out with cytotec (I wasn't thrilled, but at least they let me stay!)

I had uncomfortable but tolerable contractions all night, they were very regular, every 2 minutes, until about 3 am then they started spacing out a bit, then at 4am they were almost completely gone. I was sure they were going to send me home, but my B/P was still high, so they started pitocin instead around 6am. The contractions were fairly irregular but uncomfortable and steady.

ALL night with the cytotec and then an hour with pitocin, time for a check. At 7am or so I had progressed to 2cm and 60% effaced . . .They had told me I was 90% effaced at one point but apparently that OB (a sub for my regular) was delusional because my cervix was more like 20% effaced when I was admitted. So almost NOTHING, I was so discouraged! The contractions picked up and got a little more uncomfortable.

At 9am the doctor came and checked my progress and I was 3cm. . .STILL progressing VERY slowly, I couldn't believe with it being my 2nd baby that I was progressing just as slowly as I did the first time around. Next thing I know she says OK, i'm breaking your water now! and pop, there it went. . .NO warning! That's when things really got uncomfortable.

By 11:30 or so I was done. . .I asked for the epidural. At this hospital they do an interthecal epidural combo, which is nice because the interthecal is immediate, so the pain is gone while you wait for the epidural to take effect. They checked my cervix before doing the epidural and I was 4 cm. The nurse told me there was some scar tissue on my cervix and that is why I didn't go into labor spontaneously, and probably never will, and also said it is why I was progressing so slowly. FINALLY a reason why things were so slow!

Around 1pm I was really starting to feel the contractions again, and we discovered the epidural medication was going to my pillow, not me, so they fixed the leak and it took another hour for the pain to go away again. I felt a little "click" around 2pm and at 2:30 the nurse checked and I was 9cm! The scar tissue had "popped" and I progressed REALLY quickly. I was starting to feel a lot of pressure so they turned OFF the epidural. The nurse helped me sit up while she prepared the bed for delivery.

Next thing I know I'm feeling REALLY funky, they're pouring fluids into me, and putting oxygen on. Apparently I passed out because my blood pressure dropped to something really low and it had been really high so my body shut me down. I was out until 3:00 or so, I woke up and said "He's coming" And the nurse checked and he was crowning! So they called the dr, and I did my best NOT to push while she showed up and set her things up. FINALLY she was there and had her little tray set up just right. They told me to push, and there he was! Two small pushes and my li'l Jacob Gabriel came hollering into the world The OB laughed because when she was suctioning his mouth she put her finger in there and he munched so hard on her finger with his little gums that it hurt! She was very surprised.

It was a 23 hour long labor but as I said in my post on the main board he is worth every minute of it. He is an amazing little guy and I am blessed to have him!
February 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
mommyof3now's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is great that he is here and healthy!
February 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Amber...1...2...3's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats on havin a healthy baby! Glad to hear that it all worked out for you!
February 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
I'm sorry you had such a tough time, but I'm glad he's here and healthy!! Congrats again.

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

February 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Glad you made it through! Sounds like it was kinda tough on you, but that is pretty funny about how hard he chomped on the OB's finger!

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), baby boy (coming soon)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
March 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
what a cutie pie he is. congratulations, crystal!
i'm glad things turned out okay and that he came healthfully and naturally, in the end. sorry for another long labour, though, hon. but, yahoo-- you did it!!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search