my surprise boy, Nicholas Michael~ DUCKIE

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 12:56 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i am finally getting to this-- yay!! i was so worried about not making it to term, ever since my 3-year-old daughter was born at 36.5 weeks, so i was thrilled, and also quite surprised, when i got to 37 weeks, on January 30th. I had an appt. the previous afternoon, and was told I was 5cm dilated, and the doctor was surprised my water hadn't broken yet. It had never broke on it's own before labour, but I had never made it past 3cm before contractions began, either. So, I went home to wait for labour.
I was in the bathroom at 2:10 pm on Sunday the 31st, when my water finally broke- on the rug in front of the toilet. I was very calm, and sat down on the toilet to make sure it was indeed my water. I put a pad on, and woke my mom up to tell her it was time to go in. She started panicking-- since my past two labours have been precipitous, she was just frantic, trying to get ready, and make sure my step-dad was set to watch my kids for a while. I had my bag packed already, so I just told my kids goodbye and got my coat on, and called my grandmother in Tampa, to let her know the baby was coming, and have her call my dad and aunt. My step-sister was there, and she came down as we were leaving, and I was telling my mom that I had already eaten-- step-sis laughed, and said she'd never seen anyone going in to have a baby be so calm and casual.
It's about 10-15 minutes to the hospital from my mom's house, and I started having contractions just before we got there, at 2:45-- I had three in the car, and that just made my mom panic more. They were about 3 minutes apart, and I was pretty sure we would get there in time, and we did.
I checked in, and asked for an epidural right away, since the anaesthesiologist was always too late in the past. They checked me at 6 cm when I got to my room, shortly after 3:00. My contractions weren't very painful-- Mike met us at the hospital, with his daughter, but then he left to take her to her mother's. My mom was with me during that time, and we waited on my epidural. I requested demerol, and they said I couldn't have it. I was so pissed off, because I was always offered it in the past-- it just never made it until after I delivered...
So, my contractions got a little more uncomfortable as we waited, and closer together-- almost on top of one another. I got the epidural at 4:50pm, at 7cm, 80% and 0 station, and right away, I could tell that it was only half-working. I couldn't move my left side at all, but my right side was completely unaffected. I was so bummed. They told me to give it a few minutes, and to stay on my back. I knew it wasn't going to help, but luckily, the contractions still weren't very bad-- I could still talk through them, but I was breathing with them, instead. At 5:00 I told my nurse (whom I didn't care much for), Leslie, that I felt like pushing. I was 9-3/4, and I could feel him starting to come down. She and my mom both told me not to push, but to blow. I was very, VERY annoyed by that, and told them that I wasn't trying to push, but he was coming on his own-- and as far as blowing, screw that-- they wouldn't give me demerol, and screwed up my epidural, so I was in pain, and I wasn't going to sit there and hold him in while a doctor was on the way. I just let my body do what it had to do, and within a few minutes, Dr. Fisher had arrived, and I was "allowed" to push. My doctor stretched my skin, and she, my mom, and Mike all told me to push, and cheered me on. It only took three pushes. The first one brought him all the way down, the second one got his head out. The third one was the most painful part of the whole thing, more so that the contractions, which never got very bad at all (I would grab the bar on the bed during them and breathe through them, but I could still talk and kept expecting them to worsen x10... but they never did.) I let out a small yell/scream on the third push, getting the shoulders and body out. There was no "ring of fire" this time.
He was born at 5:12 pm-- my longest (at 2 hours, 27 minutes), but easiest labour, lol!
He was 37 weeks and 1 day (EDD: February 20th) and weighed 5-11, and 18.25". By far (2 whole pounds!), my smallest baby! His head was 12-3/4, and I didn't tear or need cut-- just one little "skidmark" (gosh I HATE that term, but not sure what else to call it, hahaha...) that she said might burn when peeing-- but it was fine. I was fine~ i was up and around as soon as the epidural wore off and I could move that left foot, and I had no trouble whatsoever going to the bathroom. A few days later, I was out dancing at a club opening with Mike. Having stitches or not makes a world of difference, and I am sooo thrilled that I got away without them, this time. Everything about this pregnancy, AND labour/delivery, was sooo different from my first two. crazy! like they say... just when you think you know what's going on, as a pregnant woman/mother, nature throws you a curve ball.
Mike cut the cord-- I wanted us to do it together, but nobody asked. It was very small-- my mom said it was about the size of her pointer finger-- maybe that's got something to do with him being so small? Otherwise, my older kids' dad was 9-1/2 lb. at birth, and Mike was 7-1/2... I was 8-4, just like my oldest son. I am NOT used to such a tiny little being-- I don't think I've ever handled a baby smaller than 7-1/2 lb.
Oh, anyway-- I did not want to know the gender, but my whole family "knew"-- it was written down as "girl" at my 26 week ultrasound. I only told my grandma, but apparently it got around to my entire family, and by mid-January, my aunt told me that I was having a girl, and needed to clal her by name-- Nicole.
Well, the first thing I heard when he was born, was my mom saying, "Is that a girl?" And my doctor said no. lmao. Everyone was so darn worried about knowing the gender ahead of time, and the joke was on them-- Nic fooled them all. I find this utterly hilarious, of course. And, even though my aunt tried to tell me the sex, I still got my surprise.
My dad happened to be downstairs as I was delivering-- he was on the road when my grandma called him, and decided to stop by, with perfect timing. We still didn't have a name, and somebody mentioned this. Mike and I looked at each other, and he said, "Well, how about Nicholas Michael?" That sounded fine to me. It's just a coincidence that our girl name was Nicole, lol.
Our hospital stay sucked, and I don't even want to remember it, so I am not going to write about it. I hate that I waited 10 days to write this out-- surely I am missing details here and there, but I can always come back and add things.
The pregnancy was pretty scary, with lots of ups and downs... but the delivery was a dream, and so is my new son. He eats, sleeps, and poops, and is a very content, happy little guy, when he is awake. Melissa is madly in love with him, and won't leave him alone. Timmy, on the other hand, says he doesn't care that he is a big brother again. He wasn't interested in his sister when she was born either, though. I'm so glad I got another boy, heehee!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Last edited by justjaQ; February 10th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
February 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM
fulloflove's Avatar I love being a mommy!
you did so great!! congrats again..
I know that if i was in the situation of being told to wait it out so the doctor can arrive, id go crazy.. nope as soon as i feel the urge to push im going to!! im sure the nurses know how to catch a baby! lol

this AMAZING siggy was made by Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*!
February 10th, 2010, 04:37 PM
thanks jennifer!

and right, that's what i figure~ lady, if you can check me, you can catch my child when it comes out. i couldn't help but push a little bit anyway-- it's instinct!!!

February 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
fulloflove's Avatar I love being a mommy!
i was watching one of those birth shows and there was a lady who needed to have her baby right then.. she was supposed to wait for a surgery room to open up, but time wouldnt allow it. and because of a heart condition they had to do it where she didnt push or feel pain.. they basically gave her the strongest epidural and let the baby descend on its own.. she didnt feel a thing and just layed there...
i found that amazing!!! our bodies are amazing!! we dont even have to push?? lol
so wether or not they tell you to wait the baby will come lol

this AMAZING siggy was made by Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*!
February 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM
^ yep! every once in a while, you hear a story about someone whose baby comes out just from contractions. i know this one definitely could have-- his head was tiny, and i barely had to push him anyhow. it was so amazingly different, and easier, having him!

February 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
Congrats again, Jaq! I still can't believe he's a he! I don't know what I would have done had Landon been a girl!! You did great, mama! He's so cuuute.

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

February 15th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Jaq! That's a great story and I'm so glad you and your lil man are doing so well.

February 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
I'm so glad things went so easy for you even after the epi didn't work right. I'm way behind on reading these, but I'm trying to catch up before baby comes.

March 10th, 2010, 09:06 AM
aw, i am probably more behind than you, angie-- no big deal, i just appreciate you reading. i just got to yours today, too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search