Noah David - Feb 3 **Extremely LONG w/pics***

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On Tuesday, February 2, 2010, I decided to do some things to try and get labor moving faster. I didn’t think any of them would actually work, but I thought it couldn’t hurt anything. At this point, I was 3cm dilated, 80% effaced and a -2 station (per the last doc’s appt). I took a bath, listened to relaxing music, ate spicy food for dinner, and tried some acupressure points that we learned in our Bradley class. I was feeling some Braxton Hicks contractions while in the bath, but I had been feeling them for the past 2 weeks, so I didn’t think too much of them. When I got out of the bath around 8:30, I could feel the contractions were picking up and were stronger, so we started timing them. They were about 7 minutes apart. I was secretly hoping that this was the start of labor although I was afraid it was just going to stop.

We started using our relaxation techniques. I found that I enjoyed walking around the room, stopping at the footboard of our bed during contractions. Of course I was excited so it was hard to sleep or rest at this point. Although around 11, I decided I had to get some rest if this truly was the beginning of labor. I laid down and fell asleep and then woke up to breathe through 3 contractions (about a ˝ hour) and the pain was so bad while laying on the bed, that I decided I couldn’t do that anymore. I had to get up and move around. David got up with me. We decided at this point, labor was progressing (my contractions were now about 2-3 minutes apart). David finished packing the bag and getting last minute things together while l labored in the bedroom. I did take a shower at one point and the pressure and heat really helped. Sometime around 2am, I started getting concerned that the car ride to the hospital would be miserable with contractions and thought we should go soon. David called our Bradley teacher and she confirmed what he was thinking…it was still a little early. So we kept going through contractions at home. I did try a few other positions like the birthing ball and the bed again, but really it was the walking and swaying that helped the best. Of course, the deep breathing and relaxation helped during a contraction.

At around 3:30am, David decided we were far enough along to go to the hospital. He told me later that he thought I wouldn’t let go and progress any further at this point because I was still at home and obviously, didn’t want a home birth. We pull into the hospital parking lot (about 10 min away) and realize that I didn’t have my insurance card, so we went all the way back home and back to the hospital. We go into the ER and they admit me and then send for a L&D nurse. They kept wanting me to sit down (I guess for liability reasons), but I just couldn’t. I did manage to ride in the wheelchair but it was not fun. At this point, my contractions did space out to about 4 min apart which worried us, but as soon as we were up in the room and dressed, they picked back up again.

Once we were admitted, my own doctor was able to come in and give me the initial exam (he was there for another delivery that morning). I was 8 cm. I was so happy that I had progressed so far on my own and that we would soon be meeting our son. This was around 5am. We continued to labor by walking around the room. They did do an initial strip of contractions and the baby’s heartbeat, but they were fine, so they took the belts off and I was able to move around again. They just used doptones about once every hour. The baby’s heartbeat was always fine, although the nurse had difficulties finding it. The pain had definitely increased and I was finding it harder and harder to breathe through them. I think at this point, I was going through transition. I kept thinking I was going to get to start pushing soon. David was giving me water after every contraction, but the nurse noticed my temp going up and thought I was getting dehydrated. Then David kicked it in high gear and made me drink water by the gulpful. I think it was only like a ˝ hour and I was better, so I avoided the IV. The doctor came back to check me again and I had only progressed about another ˝ cm. So disappointed. So then we discussed artificially breaking my water to speed the last cm up. We talked about the risks and benefits and decided to go ahead. After the bag of waters were broken the contractions starting picking up. A little over an hour later I started feeling the pushing urge.

We still labored and with each contraction, I was really feeling the pressure in my butt. I was also grunting a lot and starting to bear down and squat with the contractions. Finally around 10am, the doctor checked me again and I was 10 cm and could start pushing. Although he was skeptical because the baby was still really high, I think he said I was still -1 station. So I crawled into bed and they set up the bed for pushing. I did try a few other positions like lying down, squatting (using the squat bar) and hands and knees, but they were just too painful and I found the modified sitting position was best. At this point the nurse thought it would be best to have continual fetal monitoring. Since I was lying down anyway we said alright. After that, the nurse started discussing putting an internal fetal monitor on the baby since she was having problems detecting the heart rate. David immediately said no and the nurse was telling him he would have to sign a waiver and how after her 20 years of experience, we really should reconsider. The doctor overheard and picked up the Doppler and found the heartbeat immediately. He told the nurse the monitor wasn’t necessary, the baby was fine.

Pushing was a different sensation; it gave me the power to push through the contractions, versus trying to relax my whole body through them. I pushed and pushed and pushed until I thought I couldn’t push anymore. I remember looking at the clock tick by (actually it seemed to go by really fast) and thinking when is it going to be over. They kept checking me, the doctor was in the room a lot, but the baby still wasn’t coming down as fast as they liked. Then the doctor told me he thought this was a BIG baby and I was going to have trouble pushing him out. He told me I should consider getting an episiotomy. I very adamantly said no, I want to tear. So he gave me an injection so it wouldn’t hurt as bad when I did tear because he was certain I would. They also started doing the hot compresses to help prevent tearing. I’m not sure how much that helped for tearing, but it sure felt good at the time.

I pushed for about 2 hours and FINALLY, I got to the point where everyone starting getting prepared. No one told me I was close but I could tell by the way everyone was acting that I had to be getting close. Then I started getting scared because there was talk that the baby’s shoulders would be stuck on my pelvis and they would have to wiggle him out. There were a ton of people in the room at this point, between the nurses, tech people, doctor, hubby, pediatrician and then some extra ped people in case he wasn’t ok.

I pushed through the next contraction and his head crowned. I was out of contraction, so I had to wait while his head was right there. That had to be the worst pain ever mostly because there was nothing I could do to make it go away. Then the next contraction came and with 3 pushes (2 for his head and 1 for the rest of his body) he came out. They put him on my belly and I just kept saying “oh my god”. I couldn’t believe I had done it. The next thing I knew I pushed the placenta out; apparently it came out at almost the same time as Noah. What happened to 10-30 minutes for that?
Anyway, Noah was perfectly fine, no shoulder problems. I did not tear; I just had what they call a skid mark (think skinned knee). I ended up with a completely natural birth, no pain medications. The only part that didn’t go exactly according to plan was artificially breaking my water, but it was well worth it. I don’t think I was prepared to go through more hours of labor. Noah ended up being 8lb, 13oz and 21 inches, so yes, he was a big baby.

Noah did have some issues breathing at first so they gave him a couple puffs of oxygen. After 5 min they brought him back to me and we had a good hour of bonding time. After the bonding time they weighed, measured and cleaned him. Once finished they hooked him up to some machines. Those machines said his oxygen saturation levels weren’t what they were wanting, so he had to be monitored for a few hours. He seemed fine after that. I guess he just took a little longer to adjust to the real world. The nurses and doctor were fantastic, they gave us all the bonding time we wanted. They didn’t bath him, weigh him, or do any tests (other than his apgars which were 8/9) for several hours. Overall, I’m very happy with the way everything went. It was fantastic to get up right after delivery and go to the bathroom and have a quick recovery time.

Me on Feb 3 around 7am (about 3 hours before birth):

Noah being weighed (me in the background) :

Me holding Noah:

Noah the next morning, looking as peaceful as can be:

Bringing Noah home:

My Blog
February 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
~LaNa~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wonderful birth story and great pics Noah is so handsome <3 Thanks for sharing pics Beth.I'm so glad u got to deliver naturally and meds free.
February 12th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
He's adorable, Beth! I'm glad you got to do things natural like you wanted. He's so precious. Congrats!!

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

February 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
mommyof3now's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
he is too cute and you did a great job!
February 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He's adorable. Sounds like you had a great birthing experience. I'm so happy for you!

February 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
So glad you had a great experience!

March 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
ohh, what a little (okay, not little!) sweetheart he is! i love that picture on the scale, all curled up. and what a beautiful head of hair! my babies have all been nearly bald-- nick has a line of bald-old-man style hair above his neck, about half an inch long, with fuzz over the rest of his head, and i think that's more than the older two had, lol!
congrats beth, esp. on getting your natural birth. and i'm jealous that you had such a big guy, without needing stitches! good for you, mama! i had them with my older, larger babies, LOTS of them-- i had just the one skidmark with nick, this time, thankfully, and hallelujah, it makes all the difference, i swear!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search