Log In Sign Up

Kelen Ian's birth story - 1/27/10

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,447
Just a tad late. I think I can remember it...

I was scheduled for an induction on January 27th, the day I hit 41 weeks. I was supposed to be at the hospital at 7am, so the night before I made sure all my bags were packed, and the alarm set, and off to bed I went. I woke up at 2:45am to use the bathroom. I peed, then felt a pop in my abdomen, then a gush of fluid came out. "Oh, you didn't," I muttered. I checked the toilet, and noticed it was a bit cloudy. "You little stinker!" I came out of the bathroom, and hubby asked me what was wrong. I told him I thought my water broke, but wasn't sure. Five minutes later, I got up to "go" again, with another gush. I called my doctor's after-hours, who contacted the on-call nurse. After a few questions, she said she'd call the midwife on duty, who I knew was the one I'd been seeing my whole pregnancy. She told me to come on in anytime before 4:30. I got dressed, hopped online for a few minutes, and ate a small bowl of cereal. I felt the pains I normally get when I'm constipated, but didn't think much of it other than I had to poop.

We got to the hospital a little before 4:30am, and they took me right to my room. I'd already pre-registered, so all I had to do was sign in and get my bracelet. They checked me and said that yes, my water had broke, and I was 4cm dilated. I got my IV for the antibiotics, with a few more trips to the bathroom because I thought I really had to poop. Hubby started calling around to our parents to let them know what was happening. The pain started getting bad about 7am, so they gave me my epidural. A few minutes later came the sweet relief of my back pain disappearing. About this time I was at 7cm. For the next few hours, I chatted quietly with my husband and the nurse, who kept moving me around on my side to help me progess further, and randomly taking advantage of the hospital's wireless internet. The MIL (the only one who lives close) arrived about 9am. I spent most of those hours trying to see the monitor so I could see the contractions and heartrate, since I definitely couldn't feel any of it! Somewhere in there, they checked me and said I wasn't progessing enough, though I had reached 8cm, so they gave me pitocin to speed it along. I was getting so bored of ice chips, I kept asking for something more, like a popscicle. The nurse finally gave in and gave me a grape one.. which I threw up a bit later. At least it was good going down! Either the pitocin or the epidural gave me the shakes so bad, they kept piling blankets on me.

Finally about 1pm, I said I felt like I was ready to push. The nurse checked, and said I was close, but there was still a lip of the cervix. She put the stirrups up, and massaged me to get rid of the lip. Once it was gone, she held one leg and had hubby hold the other leg, and I started to push. My poor hubby had kept saying he just wanted to stay by my head, but he got pressed into service. I still couldn't really feel the contractions, so every time I felt like I needed to push, I had to ask if I was having a contraction. The midwife (a different one, as shift change was at 7am) came in about 2pm or so, and started massaging my perineum (I think... all I know is that it was NOT comfortable). As the baby kept progressing, they'd comment on his hair (Oh, he doesn't have hair. Oh, no, yes, he does, it's red!) and tell my poor husband to look. He'd take a quick peek because they told him, then went back to focusing on me. At one point, to help me push better, they had hubby and I hold onto the ends of a towel so I could yank on it during contractions... this put him more between my legs where he did NOT want to be. Twice my IV came out and they had to redo it, the second time putting it in my other hand. Finally the baby's head was close to coming out, and I kept asking if it was almost over, because it felt HUGE. The nurses and midwife took over completely by then, and hubby had to turn and look out the window so he wouldn't see me in pain. A few more pushes, and there was such relief as he came completely out. They put him on my stomach and rubbed him down, and he started crying. They noted that he was born at 2:43pm.

A few minutes later, they took him to the warming bed next to me to finish cleaning him up, and hubby got to see him better. I kept trying to see, but I couldn't move very much while they finished and stitched me up. Hubby started texting people, and I yelled at him that he needed to call our families first. Once I was completely cleaned up, he was able to go out to the waiting room to get his mom, who had been quite happy to wait outside during delivery. While cleaning and checking Kelen, the nurses found out that his left clavicle seemed broken, but other than that, he was a healthy boy. He was 21.5 inches long, had a 14" head, and was 10 pounds even. They told me if they'd known how much he weighed, he would have been a c-section, since they normally do that for babies 10 pounds and over. As it is, they were amazed I was able to push him out! I spent the next hour or so cuddled up to Kelen and huddled under blankets because I still had the shakes from the medicine.

We spent the next two days in the hospital getting used to our little man. I was spoiled greatly by the hospital's food service. Hubby stayed nights at the hospital with us, leaving only to feed the cats and once to have lunch with his dad.

Hubby said I'm never doing that again... if/when we have another kid, he says I'm getting a c-section, so I don't have to go through all that. Hah, that's what he thinks! Though next time, I'm definitely not waiting until 41 weeks!

Reply With Quote
February 20th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,944
I have been waiting for your birth story more than any other since I had a ten pounder too! I've been dying to hear how a vaginal birth might have been for me. How is his clavicle now? My biggest fear that led me to c-section was shoulder dystocia. You are so lucky he didn't get stuck! Did you have much tearing? You are totally my hero

Reply With Quote
February 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,447
LOL! Thanks. The clavicle is healing well. There's a bone callous where it's healing that you can feel easily. I'm looking forward to Friday when I can stop pinning his sleeve to his chest, since the doctor said to keep doing it for a month. They keep assuring me that even if it heals slightly crooked (which shouldn't happen), it'll realign itself as he grows. I am so completely amazed that he didn't get stuck. It felt like once his head was out, the rest of him slipped right through. I had second degree tearing, and I'm glad the epi pretty much hid the pain of being stitched up.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0