Abigail Loretta.....an unplanned natural childbirth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2010, 11:48 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SO, I was scheduled for my induction at 39 weeks, I was a bit upset i would be having another induction and again dealing with those awful pitocin contractions but just reassured myself that when it got bad, I would get my epidural. My husband and I met my friend Gina, who is training to be a doula, at the hospital at about 5 AM and checked in. Due to the fact that we had a VERY weird, and VERY annoying nurse, this all took a few hours. He kept forgetting to put in orders, and do blood work, etc, etc, and kept telling the worst jokes....I kept thinking that there was no way I could stand this guy all day long during my delivery. He was also getting a bit....overfamiliar...and we were getting really uncomfortable...but more about that somewhere else. Luckily we found out he was off shift in a few hours. Finally a doctor came in and checked me, and said I was almost at 3 cm. At this point they also realized I was in the wrong wing of L&D and needed to be moved over to the high risk area. So we had to move......FINALLY started the started the pitocin, and waited.....and not much happened for a few more hours. I was getting contractions but nothing much stronger than what I had been having at home the last month or so. They kept increasing the pitocin but still they weren't that strong. After a few more hours they decided to break my water to try to speed things up a bit, and about an hour after that, contractions did start getting more painful and stronger, but it still wasn't anything too terrible, I was breathing through them OK. Anyone who has ever met me knows I am NOT the type of lady who would ever even THINK of doing an umedicated birth.....just....no. So I knew I wanted the epidural but I was trying to wait until I was progressing a little better to get it. At this point they hadn't checked me in awhile, but they were thinking I was probably around 4 cm. I decided to try standing up for awhile and they had the anesthaeseologist came in to do my paperwork so that when I WAS ready, they could do the epidural quickly. Right then it started getting really intense and I was having a really hard time staying composed during the contractions.I had also started bleeding by this point. So I said I was ready, lets just do the epi while the guy was still in there. They suggested I go use the restroom before they put it in so I went into the bathroom and was suddenly hit with the absolute worst contractions I have ever felt in my life and started shaking violently and almost threw up. DH and a nurse came in to help me back to the bed and I could no longer walk, I was just crying and shaking and in awful pain, and it was just getting worse and worse. The contractions were piggybacking each other and just horrendous. The doctor started sounding a little worried and said "Ok, lets check her RIGHT NOW".....and then I heard her say "Ok, we are having a baby right now, she is complete." And I am yelling for the epidural and then I see the anaestheseologist leaving the room! I was like, um, wait a minute, you aren't done here!! LOL!!!! Then they said it was too late.....and I asked for something in my IV and they said it was too late for anything. And then my life flashed before my eyes LOL. I kept screaming I can't, i can't do this without an epidural. All the doctors and nurses were running around, trying to break the bed down and set up for a delivery. And the pain was just worse and worse and so unbearable. I pushed for about an hour, and it was just....so awful. My contractions were right on top of each other because of the Pitocin and I was also having problems because she was almost sunny side up, AND I guess my uterus was tipped and she was having trouble coming down under my pelvic bone. I cannot even describe the pain. I don't know which was worse, the God awful contractions or actually trying to push her out when she was not facing the right way. Her heart rate started going REALLY low about 45 minutes in to it so they said we could try the vacuum or do a c section. Honestly, I wanted a section because I knew that would put me out of my misery LOL. But I was also figuring that would take longer and I was really worried about Abby, so I said just try the vacuum. It hurt so bad when they were trying to put the vacuum on her head, OMG. It took a few tries and me screaming bloody murder but then she came into the world, crying, apgars 9 and 9! I tore a few times and TMI my bottom was like, inside out. But um, after giving birth with no drugs I can handle some tears and injuries LOL!!! So, absolutely not the birth I EVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE IN MY LIFE AT ALL.....but at least it is over and she is here, happy and healthy

I still can't believe it happened that way. Like, I always thought ELLA'S labor and birth was so awful. This whole pregnancy, everyone has been saying, "Well, at least you know the delivery can't be WORSE."........well....it could!!!!! LOL!!!!

February 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG! You see, you are stornger than you thought!!!

February 20th, 2010, 12:23 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Great job on getting through such a difficult birth! I gotta say, this probably wasn't something I should have read while waiting to have my boy though, yikes!

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
February 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
Great job, Ianthe! I know natural childbirth isn't easy, especially with Pit, but yay for doing it!!!

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

February 20th, 2010, 06:53 PM
fulloflove's Avatar I love being a mommy!
yikes.. you nearly described my first birth..

this AMAZING siggy was made by Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*!
March 10th, 2010, 04:06 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
aw, ianthe, i totally understand your pain with not getting the pain relief in time. i had a nurse laugh at me when i begged for an epidural after it was announced i was 10cm, with one of the older kids. such a freakin b----!! i'm sorry that it worked out that way, but you did it-- yahoo!! and it's something that you'll always be proud of, whether it wwas intended or not. and truth be told, i hated my epidural this time, and will never ask for one again, yech! i even had pitocin, too, with my daughter.

GOOD JOB!!! i am so proud of you-- esp. for trying out the vacuum first-- i was ready to beg for c-sections with my first two, as well. it's just so odd to me how easily my third birth was, in comparison-- even though i had the half epidural, i could totally feel my right side, and just... wow! our bodies/nature can do the funniest things sometimes!

so, congratulations on your new little one, mama~ how big was she, and what day/time did she end up arriving, if you don't mind sharing?
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

March 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks guys! I am proud of myself....but almost feel like I would be prouder if I hadn't screamed/yelled/cried/vomited/etc so much.......mus t have been so miserable for the doctors and nurses LOL.

Can't believe I forgot to put her weight in! She was born on 2/16, at 4:57 PM, weighing 7 pounds 11 ounces and 20.5 inches long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search