We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Sophie Isabella’s Birth Story
Monday Feb. 8th, 2010
So David and I are packed up and on the 2 hour way to the hospital. We had dropped Alex off the night before at my mom and dad’s. I started having strong contractions the whole way up there that contuined all day. The funny part is the day we drove up to be in induced with Alex the same thing happened. We were going up to get an amino to check Sophie’s fetal lung maturity. I was only 37 weeks and 3 days and babies of diabetics’ lungs mature slower than normal. They told us not to plan on getting induced that her lungs may not be ready yet. They wanted to go ahead and take her due to the fact that 5 days before she was estimated to be 8lb, 8oz already. Once we get checked into the hospital the maternal fetal specialist comes in and states that he isn’t comfortable inducing me and would rather do a c section but it was up to us. We were very concerned about shoulder dystocia and he thought that Sophie would be at the 9lb mark little did we know he was dead on. We were left to decide weather we take the risk to Sophie and induce or risk me and do a c-section. The surgeon was concerned about the c-section too thanks to all my prior surgeries.
It took a few hours I had the amino which was not near as bad as I thought. A few hours later and we got the good news Sophie’s lungs passed she needed like a 60 I think and she got a 77!!!!!! So time for the decision. My doctor was awesome answered all our questions. Of course I had to ask my favorite which all doctors hate, what would you do if it was your wife????? Man they hate that! So David and I knew we could never forgive ourselves if Sophie had nerve damage to her arm just because I wanted to labor. So we chose the c/s. The doctor said ok well it will be about an hour before you go to surgery and the c/s will take about an hour. Talk about shocked. I was prepared for her lungs not even to be mature and if they were waiting till Tuesday to be induced I had no clue I was going to meet her today!!!!!
So many hours later, due to two emergency c/s I get wheeled into the OR. My surgery was at 5 and my doctor was supposed to leave but he decided to stay and see me thru. I had the epidural which sucked I always have issues with epidurals, but this was the first one they ever got on the first try with me!!!!!! They brought David in, he really wanted to see what all was going on but he was very supportive and stayed down with me. At 5:24pm Sophie let out her first wail, the same exact time I was born. She had the girlish cry it was so cute. They brought her over for us to see. She was 9lbs exactly! 20 inches long. After he closed up my doctor showed us the huge knot in Sophie’s umbilical cord, he said we made the right choice cause if I had labored it would have ended up in an emergency c section due to the knot.
So our lil girl is here safe and healthy, mom too although a bit sleep deprived. Alex came to visit his baby sister the next day and has been an excellent big brother ever since! Thanks for reading girls!