Ashlynn Heather's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I was 38 weeks and the doctor had guessed, at 37 weeks, that I'd probably go overdue.
It was a typical Wednesday and I headed to the mall to grab some books for the hospital, then Walmart because the mall was a bit more expensive than I thought.
When I got home, I was exhausted and took a four hour nap!
At 6, when I woke up, I felt a little strange and by 6:30 I was having contractions. I assumed they were braxton hicks, though. They didn't hurt.
I timed them and found that they were 10 minutes apart.
By 8, they were around 7-9 minutes apart. I decided I'd take a walk around my street to see if that got things going. Sure enough, when I got home and settled down, they were 3 minutes apart.
Around 11, I tried to time them but couldn't! They were probably 2-3 minutes apart..but it wasn't just one contraction at a time. It was two or three in a row, then a break, then two or three more!

By 12, I was at the hospital and hooked up to the monitors. Sure enough, I was having contractions that were 2-3 minutes apart (sometimes less) and they were coming in groups. I was only about 1cm dilated, if that..and my cervix was so high up that the nurse had trouble reaching. I decided to weather out the mild cramping and wait for the pain medication. It wasn't much worse than bad pms cramps.
Around 2am or so, I had a contraction that was pretty bad and lasted a good 3-4 minutes. It had me in tears, so I got the IV pain meds.
Around 6am, I decided it was naptime and got a 45 minute nap.

The next morning (this is where things get hazy) they wheeled me into the room I'd deliver in and checked me. I was 2-3cm dilated. They broke my water and told me that the baby had decided to fill my amniotic fluid with meconium. The contractions immediately got worse and I decided to get the epidural right away. First, of course, I asked for something for my anxiety. It pretty much had me zoned out for the epi, so I didn't feel the needle as much as I would if I was anxious.
They checked me again and I was at 4cm.

After a few more hours, they rechecked and I was 9cm and wasn't progressing anymore. They gave me pitocin and shortly after, I was ready to push.
Here was the fun part.
The nurse I had 'coaching' me was a complete idiot and ignored me when I told her my ribs hurt to the point where I was having trouble breathing. Instead, she hooked me up to the oxygen monitor and said "You're FINE. Now push instead of complaining!"
I had to literally shove my hands under my ribcage and push down to get any relief. I could barely push and when I DID, she told me I wasn't doing it right. She started using a c-section as a THREAT!
After about an hour of this, I was so frustrated that I told her fine, get the doctor, I'll do a c-section.
He came in, checked me, and told me he could do the c-section or he could try using a vacuum.
I opted for the vacuum.
After a little bit of vacuum-assisted pushing, Ashlynn was born at 7:21pm.
During labor, one of her shoulders got stuck and my doctor also confirmed that she was, indeed, IN MY RIBS while I pushed.
She was also, at 10 days early, 8lbs 14oz.
I'm 5'2", so I was infuriated that the nurse had been so ignorant and rude.
After she was born, everything got a lot more hazy.
I remember them whisking her away, then pulling out the placenta. Then I felt multiple gushes of fluid and I started passing out off and on. I woke up while my doctor was stitching me (and asked how many stitches. He told me one BIG one, equivalent to 30 regular)
and woke up to hold my daughter and nurse her for the first time.
I also woke up to sign a form stating that if my blood levels didn't get better, I could receive a transfusion. I had lost a LOT of blood.
My mom, who was my coach, refused to leave my side until I was stable..while the whole time I was waking up, begging for flavored water, then passing out. She kept saying she'd get it in a few minutes, but I have no idea how long it was until she got it for me..probably a few HOURS.
The next morning I had a blood transfusion and started feeling much better.
My grandmother and aunt literally invited themselves to visit me when my mother told them it wasn't a good idea since I was NOT up to visitors. They even, when I was feeling terrible and they KNEW IT, asked me my daughter's last name. They made sure to wait until the SECOND my mom stepped out of the room so I'd feel cornered.
Needless to say, I've been avoiding them ever since.
The day after, the nurse had me up and walking. It was pretty painful,to be honest, but I guess I expected it.
I was supposed to go home the day after, but they had me stay because Ashlynn had jaundice.
4 days after Ashlynn's birth and 5 days after I had been admitted to the hospital, we finally went home!

She was born January 28th at 7:21 PM weighing in at 8lbs 14oz and being 21 1/2 inches long! She was a BIG girl! If she hadn't been early, I would have, for sure, had a c-section!

Sorry it took sooo long to post. She keeps me super busy!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
March 3rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Sounds like a pretty hard labor for you. We had a similar situation with the meconium. Sorry to hear you had a crappy nurse! Congrats on your little girl!

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), baby boy (coming soon)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
March 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
Oh goodness... what a horrible nurse! You don't threaten people, especially pregnant women! Ugh. I hate rude nurses/doctors. I'm glad things turned out okay! Great job, mama!

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search