Mason Levi's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On Monday night I thought I was having contractions and my BP was high. I've been on bp meds for a month now so to be safe we went to L&D at my normal hospital. I got an exceptionally rude nurse who said I was fine and that I needed to find someone to take my kids and stay in bed for the next 2 weeks b/c legally there was nothing my OB could do for me. She said he legally could not and would not induce before 39 weeks and If I would do what she said I would be fine. Well we went home mad We were up most of that night. The next night I was up late with ds b/c his ear was hurting. When I finally made it to my 37 week appt Wednesday afternoon I was exhausted. My bp was 180/110 and I was spilling protein in my urine. I complained to my OB about the nasty nurse. He knew exactly who I was talking about and he told me that he needed to induce me right away and that the nasty nurse would be on shift with me so I went to the other hospital instead.

I got there at 3:00 and was on Pitocin and Magnesium Sulfate by 3:30. I started out at 2 cm and 60%. Once they put you on Mag they also put in a catheter and don't let you out of bed b/c it relaxes all your muscles. It also makes you extremely sick to your stomach and very, very hot. So they said once I hit 4 cm they would get me my epidural. Well that took forever! They had me lying flat in bed on my left side and all my contractions were in my back. They were 2 minutes apart and I was miserable so I finally sat up in the bed. Once I got off my back and side they were much, much more bearable. I would say my pain level decreased 50%. So I stayed like that for awhile then they came in and set they wanted me on my hands and knees. They hoped it would change my cervix faster. I did that for 45 minutes and it was also extremely painful. It brought my contractions on much harder and faster. While I was on my hands knees having these horrible contractions the freaking lab came in. They have to draw Magnesium levels every so often and they can't draw them from the same arm that the Magnesium IV is in. Well my IV was in my good veins. I don't have good veins in the other arm and for some reason this hospital doesn't give their lab techs butterfly needles. So While I'm on my hands and knees fighting these contractions they stuck this huge needle in the top of my hand to get blood. I really could have kicked them right then Finally at 11 pm I was 4 cm and they called in the epidural. The epidural can lower your blood pressure and I was already on my BP meds and the Mag. Well he did the epi and my bp dropped to 90/60. I suddenly started feeling really, really bad and really scared. I was throwing up, I felt faint and hot and extremely weak. They had to give me a shot of something to raise my blood pressure back up again and then they gave me Zofran also. After that I tried to get a little sleep. I rested pretty good until 2 am when I woke up in horrible pain. Mason's head was coming down and my epidural wasn't working anymore I was absolutely miserable and I was still only a 6 At that point I sent dh out for some caffeine and a cigarette so he could wake up all the way. I was freaking out and really needed him to focus. I called the nurse in and asked her to check me. She said she didn't want to do it to often b/c of bacteria but I insisted. She said I was only a 6 The next hour went by terribly slow. The pain was horrible and constant. This was my third labor so I expected it to be easier and faster. I've never had an epidural wear off before. By 3 am I asked her to please check again and she said I was finally complete and ready to push. I told her THANK GOD let's get started! I knew the pain wouldn't stop until Mason was here. They got everything set up and called my OB. I pushed a total of 15 times in 5 sets of 3. Which doesn't seem like much but at the time it seemed excruciating to me. At the very end I was crying and saying that I just couldn't do it but the nurses, my OB and dh kept telling me all I needed was one push and I'd be done. Finally at 3:24am on 3/25/10 I had Mason. My last dd was born at 37 weeks weighing in at 8lbs 8 oz and my OB thought Mason would be at least that if not more. Turns out he is only 7 lbs 1 oz with a 13 1/2 inch head. But he came down and was born with his hands crossed over his chest which is what my OB said was taking him so long. He checked out just fine right away but they couldn't get my uterus to stop bleeding. He finally said the only thing he had left to try was a shot of something called Methergine but that it could raise my blood pressure even higher. He finally decided to go with it though and it worked. I have 3 tears and lots of stitches. I stayed on the magnesium for 24 hours.

My OB just came in and said that he's letting me go home today. My blood count is low but he said he expected that since I hemmorhaged. I have to continue my bp meds and go back for a recheck next week.

Now we're just waiting on the pedi to see if Mason is ready. He said he could tell that he was early but that he was fine. He's having some problems with feeding but the pedi said that's normal in early babies. So hopefully we can leave today.

All in all it was very painful but I honestly had great, great nurses around the clock! The rooms at this hospital aren't as nice are as big as the other hospital but I felt completely comfortable with my nurses and I knew was being taking good care of so it worked out for the best. I'm glad I ended up coming here.

March 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You did a great job!! Congrats on Mason's safe arrival!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
March 26th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You go momma! So glad it turned out okay and you didn't have to deal with that nasty nurse.

March 26th, 2010, 06:53 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
You did amazing, especially considering all the things that were affecting you!! Way to go momma! Welcome to the world Mason!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 26th, 2010, 07:27 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Holy cow lady! What a story! Good job making it through all that! And good idea going to the other hospital. It sounds like you had a much better experience than you may have otherwise.
March 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow! You did an awesome job. Congrats on Mason!

I would've gone to another hospital too after being treated that way! What a rude nurse!

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
March 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you can make it through that you can make it through anything right? Congrats, and I hope you feel better soon so you can relax and enjoy your new baby.
March 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!! I am so glad he is finally here. Great story. I love his name!!

March 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Thanks for sharing.. Congrats.

March 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Congratulations!! You did great!

Welcome to the world, Mason!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You did great! Congrats!

March 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WoW you are one of a kind and did a wonderful job throughout your labor!! You did it and Mason is one lucky little boy to have you has his mama! Congrats Amanda!
March 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So happy for you Amanda! Glad you avoided Nasty Nurse. I'd still write a letter (with all your spare time, LOL!) and complain about you. Not only is she being totally and inappropriately rude, she's giving out false info which for a more inexperienced mom who didn't know better, might turn out to be dangerous. What if someone in your shoes beleived what she said that the doc couldn't legally induce her and didnt go in with bp that high. That could be really bad. I think you should report her!
Back to the happy news of Mason's arrvial- I hope you are discharged today and get to go home and be with your other kids- what do they think of him??? Have they seen him yet??? I love his name! Great pick!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Blondie3412's Avatar My baby monkey.....
I have been in the position where the pain was so bad and I was so tired that I told the nurses and doc that I was done pushing.... Good job hun!!! And congrats!

March 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Amanda. Sounds like you need some rest. I hope you get home and can recoop and enjoy that new little bundle.
March 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
Wow, girl, you've been through alot. Great job delivering little Mason! Hope your resting and enjoying your little man right now.
March 26th, 2010, 06:14 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
What a trooper you are!!! Great Job Mommy!!! Welcome to the world little Mason!!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!
March 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a story! I hope you recover quickly. Enjoy that cute little boy!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

March 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Congratulations again! I'm glad you ended up at the other hospital and were taken care of better
April 16th, 2010, 09:10 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds rough but you did an awesome job!! Congrats again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search