Kolbie Elizabeth's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 06:19 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Okay, need to do this before I forget it!

Thursday I had my 39 wk check up and nothing too exciting had happened since Tuesday night. I was still 4 cm and 70%. After my appointment we went and picked Kaija up from the neighbor's house and went home to play/nap. No one napped...darn it! So we went to our favorite Mexican place for lunch and on to Walmart to grocery shop. After my appointment I had some discharge and some spotting but I didn't think anything of it since I'd just had a cervical check. We got home and played outside with Kaija since she had just gotten her bike and was super excited. I noticed some cramping and more discharge, but again, nothing worth getting excited about. We had dinner like normal, got Kaija to bed like normal and I called my mom to let her know that it'd probably be next week when we'd be calling to tell them to come on out. Well, I hung up the phone and noticed I'd been having contractions so I started timing them again. They were about a minute long and 5 minutes apart, just like Tuesday so I didn't get excited. DH asked if he should go to work and I told him sure So off he went! And I was still contracting every 5 min all night until I went to bed at 1. I got about 5 hours of sleep before the dog woke me up to go out and I noticed I was still having contractions! Whoa! Maybe it would be today... So DH finally gets home at 7 from work and asked how I was doing. I told him fine. I felt like Tuesday still so probably nothing to get excited about. Kaija and I got up and ate breakfast, went out for a walk, just did everything normal all morning - and I'm STILL having contractions! They didn't hurt, I was walking and talking, so I still didn't think anything of it. Finally at noon I gave Kaija some lunch and DH woke up at about 12:30 and asked how I was doing. I told him I guess I'd call. I figured the office would still be open and I could just pop in and get checked. I was still having discharge and some blood. I talked to my Dr. at 1 and told her I was having contractions 5-7 min. apart and some bleeding - more than spotting but still less than a period I thought. She told us to come on in again. So we ran Kaija across the street again and I wasn't really anticipating anything at all. We got to the hospital around 2 and were taken to the Triage room. I was contracting every 3 min. and still smiling and laughing. The nurse went to call my Dr. to find out what the plan was for me. She came back 20 min. later and said we were being admitted! That really was a surprise since Thurs. she said no inductions before 39 weeks and no one had checked for dilation yet. So we go to our room - which happened to be the exact room Kaija was born in - and get settled. It took 3 tries to get an IV in which sucked, but they finally got one. Everyone gets an IV for fluids at our hospital, I'm fine with that. Finally around 4 the nurse checked for progress, holy heck I was at 6! The nurses were actually kind of impressed at how I was handling everything, they hadn't seen anyone smiling and laughing like I was in a while I guess My Dr. came in shortly after that and there was a shift change of nurses as well. My new nurse was kind of weird, but the weird I needed to have if I wanted a natural birth (which I still wasn't sure, but since I had no pain I figured let's try). She came right out and told me that she wouldn't ask if I wanted anything for pain and that I'd have to ask and really be sure. It was great! I think that was around 5. At 6 the nurse came back with my Dr. and said they'd check me, let me use the bathroom and break my water if I was okay with that. I said sure, let's get the show on the road. I was at 8! Yippee! So I went to the bathroom, came back and we broke my water. The Dr. had me stay on my back for 15-20 min. then I could do whatever I wanted. I rolled to my right and IMMEDIATELY I started having very intense contractions. My nurse was awesome. DH freaked out I was screaming and moaning and as DH put it, he couldn't tell if he was at a birth or exorcism. The nurse came in and out a few times, but nothing in the room was set for delivery. At some point she left to get something and as soon as I heard the door shut I felt it coming, my brain was screaming DRUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSS! and my mouth screamed I NEED TO PUSH NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DH reefed on the call button, I managed to turn and see the door fly open, 3 nurses and my Dr. fly through it, they told me to get to my back and pull my legs back, the Dr. barely had her gown and and said "There she is!" I pushed 2-3 times and out came Kolbie at 6:49!! It was amazing, fast, and unbelievable. I'm still not sure how it all happened. My Dr. was amazed she came so fast and I had no tearing or abrasions. It must have been the difference in the births because my nurse made certain that Kolbie and I laid skin to skin for a full hour and nursed immediately this time. I didn't get to do that with Kaija. Finally at almost 8 Kolbie got weighed and measured and had all of the reflex tests done. It was a truly whirlwind day! My Dr. did mention that if and when we have another baby we may want to discuss inducing 10 days early because apparently I like to have my babies fast and early. We'll see if and when that time comes!

Last edited by mylene169; March 29th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
March 29th, 2010, 06:57 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Thanks for sharing the story! You sound like you did great! Wow, I can only pray my experience is like yours!!

Congrats again!

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

March 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy's Avatar Mega Momma
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy
wow! great story. I really hope I can go thru labour as great as you did!!! you sound like a pro congradulations on the birth of your son

March 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story!! Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad you both doing great! Congrats to you and your husband
March 29th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats and kudos for going natural! You are amazing!

March 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Awesome Mylene! Chris said I reminded him of the exorcist too!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL at dh Congrats! You did a great job!

March 29th, 2010, 11:15 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great birth story!!!! So happy for you!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 29th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Great story! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you did an awesome job!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
March 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You did a great job! Congrats!

March 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I hope I have a birth like yours!!

March 31st, 2010, 02:15 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
You did such a great job!! I really hope that my labor is something similar to yours! Way to go on going natural!!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 31st, 2010, 11:16 AM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow you did great! Congrats!
March 31st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a great story - Congrats!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
April 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM
LG1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from June DDC - just wanted to say I sure hope my experience is like yours!!

April 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amazing birth story! I really hope mine is that great! Congrats again hun!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search