The Beautiful Birth of Meghan Joy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
April 5th 2 pm – My husband and I went for my weekly check up and a BPP since I had now passed my due date. Meghan Joy looked great on the ultrasound and the tech showed us that her head was started to mold to fit through my pelvis. After the BPP we went straight to the OB. I asked to be checked and the OB informed me that I had progressed from almost 3 cm to a stretchy 4 cm over the past four days. Although I had previously decided against membrane sweeping, I was starting to feel worn out from stop and go contractions and asked the OB to do it. I told my husband an hour later that I would never, ever do that again. It was extremely uncomfortable and while not earth shatteringly painful, it did hurt. The doctor warned me that it might not work but was hopeful that as favorable as my cervix was that I would have some results soon.

April 6th 12:30 am – I woke up feeling crampy and had bloody show.

3:30 am – I could no longer get comfortable enough to sleep through the cramps and mild contractions.

4:00 am I decided to take a shower to ease some of the pain. Just in case this was my last shower, I started to shave my legs. I put my right leg up on the side of the tub and about a minute later felt an odd sensation. I looked down to see a steady stream of fluid that was not from the shower.

I wasn’t sure it was my water, so I tried lying down for 30 minutes. When I got back up nothing happened, so I thought it I was mistaken…until I went to use the bathroom and leaned forward to get the toilet tissue! As it turns out, Meghan’s head was acting as a cork and anytime I leaned in any direction, my water would leak.

5 am – I woke my husband and started to get dressed. We decided to wait for contractions to come and I sat on my exercise ball to keep moving.

6 am – I wasn’t having any contractions and if it wasn’t time then my husband was going to have to go to work in an hour. So we told my mother who was visiting from New Jersey and then called the hospital to let them know we were coming in.

7 am – After being tested, we found out that my water had not broken but had a steady leak. I was close to 5 cm and the nurse was surprised at just how low Meghan was. She said my cervix was extremely soft and that I should go quick. As I thought, I wasn’t having contractions regularly. Once they checked my pressure a few times and started my heplock, they said I’d be able to take the monitor off and move around as much as I liked. I was stoked! We made our phone calls to arrange for my support people to arrive and for my in laws to watch Max at our house.

8:30 am – My mother and my best friend arrived at the hospital. Beth had attended the birth of my son as well. She’s a physical therapist and a great friend who is wonderful at getting me to relax and ease my tension. My mother wasn’t able to be here for the birth of my son so we were excited to share the moment with her. My blood pressure was high, so they had my lay on my left side to monitor that while they monitored Meghan.

10:00 am My blood pressure stayed down so long as I didn't lay on my back. I got the all clear to have the monitor come off, so we all started walking the halls with the hope of bringing contractions on naturally. I started having mild contractions but was happy and laughing away.

11 am The doctor was called for a c-section and instead of checking me, we decided to wait until she was done. I sat on the birthing ball to keep moving. They brought in my lunch tray of jello, juice, coffee, broth and my special bonus of graham crackers with peanut butter. The nurses were amazed that Dr. Million was allowing me to eat solid foods. But we were all in agreement that had my water not started to leak, I would have been at home eating anyway, so why not?

12 pm Contractions were finally starting to get painful and were coming regularly at 3 minutes apart. During the contractions, my husband or mother was rubbing my back from a chair behind me while Beth sat across from me and talked me through them. Between contractions, we were making jokes, catching up and visiting. I was in a great mood and felt more like we were just having a little party rather than child birth.

1:20 pm – The doctor arrived to check me again. She explained that if I had made no progress and my water was intact, that I could go home to labor there or she could break my water but that would be inducing me (if I was not progressing on my own) rather than allowing me to labor naturally. During the check, I started a hard contraction and my water was bulging. She said I was about 6 cm and extremely thin and soft. She said I was going to go quick once my water was broken. I decided to let her break my water, with the hopes of a quicker labor.

Just had my water broken and still happy! Notice the time in the background.

2:20 pm Contractions were coming much harder now. I was no longer laughing between them but trying to rest. I started feeling like I wanted to push rather than needed to push. I asked to be checked and was 7 cm and very stretchy. The nursing staff finished setting up the room and breaking down the bed.

2:40 pm Felt like I needed to push. No one was in the room and I didn’t have a chance to tell one of my support people before the next contraction hit. It suddenly felt different, I could feel Meghan’s head entering the birth cannel. I struggled not to push and managed to get out one word “CROWNING”. My mother hit the call button and people started running into the room frantically.

2:42 pm The doctor checked me and wanted to know who had said crowning because I wasn’t. After that last contraction, Meghan’s head had slipped back. As someone replied that I was the one that said it, I started contracting with the doctor’s hand still inside. She gasped and yelling “SHE’S CROWNING!”

2:45 pm After three pushes, Meghan Joy entered the world. 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 ˝ inches.

Dr Million

They placed Meghan on my chest. I looked at my mother and said “She’s so beautiful.” We all started crying. (Beth snapped the picture)

I delivered the placenta without any effort. While they examined Meghan, I was cleaned up. No tears! Just a slight “skid mark” (I hate that term).
About ten minutes later, I felt a huge gush that ran down to my knees. I suddenly felt dizzy and sick. I got the attention of the nurse and doctor. I was bleeding way too much. They gave me pitocin and had me breastfeed Meghan while they massaged my uterus to get it to contract. It was extremely painful, but I knew it had to be done. They checked me several times during the night and I passed large blood clots about the size of a tennis ball twice during the night. By morning though it had slowed considerably and they said it was ok for me to be discharged that evening.

The birth of my daughter was such an amazing experience. Even though the contractions hurt worse this time towards the end, I was better prepared and was able to breathe through them. I was surrounded by people I love and feel comfortable with. It was enjoyable and easy!

More Pictures
Meeting big brother, Max for the first time.

Our little family

Sleeping Peacefully

Coming Home Outfit

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Last edited by Max n Meghan's Mom; April 14th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
April 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Awwww she's sooo adorable!!! Congrats mama!!!

How does pitocin help with the bleeding?

Is her whole first name Meghan Joy? If so, I think that is beautiful and flows well together. I'm definitely calling her Meghan Joy. Not Meghan, but Meghan Joy.
April 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks!!

The pitocin makes your uterus contract to slow the bleeding. Breastfeeding does the same thing but it just wasn't working fast enough.

Joy is her middle name. But my name is Amy Beth (beth being my middle name) and most of my family called me by both together. We'll probably do the same with her.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

April 10th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Super Mommy
congrat's! I am happy that you had a wonderful delievery! Your family is beautiful!

April 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She is beautiful! And a wonderful birth story.

April 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
That was a GREAT birth story!! You did so wonderfully!! Congrats again, mama! Your little girl is so beautiful.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
April 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Thanks for sharing, that was an amazing story! She is so beautiful! Congrats again!!

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

April 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww...your story made me cry!! Love the photo of Max meeting Meghan Joy for the first time, so sweet! Congratulations!

April 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!!!

April 10th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She is beautiful Amy* ** congratulations!!
April 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
OMG, she is beautiful! I got teary looking at the first pic! You must be so proud! Thanks for sharing!
April 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awweee, she's so sweet! I think she already looks like you too! I hope you're feeling better also!

April 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cnogratulations - sounds like a great birth!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
April 10th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Thanks for sharing your story! I really enjoyed reading it! You have a beautiful family!!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
April 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing!! Meghan is a beauty! Congrats!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search