The birth of Luke Austen

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2010, 07:14 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well the night before my induction, my 2 yr old spent the night in our room. Since he was in my bed, I got NO sleep. Between being 40.5 wks preggo and huge, sharing a bed with a mega bed hog of a 2 yr old and the horrible indigestion caused from pineapple eaten before bed, I got a whopping 2 hrs of sleep! What a way to start out..
I woke up feeling very nauseous, partially from the horrible indigestion (still won't look at pineapple today) and partially from lack of sleep. I dragged myself out of bed and got dressed. We made it to the hospital without myself puking.
Luckily, the nurse was so sweet and said it was fine for me to eat something. She got me some toast and once I ate that I felt so much better. I did not want to go through the birth feeling like I was going to puke!
I got checked into the room.. the doc came in and broke my water at 10am. I started out at 3cm.. had been 3 for about 3 weeks at least. They got my IV in after 3 tries.. and started pitocin around 10:30am.
By noon, I was in a lot of pain. I held off on the epi until 1pm or so. The doc checked me and I was 6cm. They came in a gave me my epi. Almost immediately, the pain got really bad. They kept telling me the epi would kick in any minute and it never did. They gave me a second dose which did nothing. Since my pain was still horrible, the guy came in to readjust the epi and see if he could fix it. Said to give it 20 minutes and if that didn't work then he would just redo it. The only part that was numb on me was my left thigh. It did nothing else. At this point I was 7.5 cm and in a lot of pain. It was about 2:30 at this point. They called back the anesthesiologist to redo my epi but there was some sort of disagreement going on between him and the nurse (my hubby told me this later.. I was in so much pain I had no idea what was going on at this point). He was taking forever to get there. I was an 8-9cm and in so much pain. Seriously the most pain I have ever felt. The pitocin was giving me no time between contractions so the nurse shut it off. I started to get the urge to push around 3pm. My body was starting to push on it's own but I was only at 9cm..By this time, the anesthesiologist finally got there. I told him that at this point it would be too painful to sit up and get the darn thing that might not even work so I said I would just do without (I don't think I said it this calmly, but we can pretend!). By the time the nurse checked me again I was 10cm but had a tiny lip of cervix left. She kept yelling at me telling me not to push but my body was just doing it. I was trying SO hard not to push.. and I was yelling for them to get the doctor. I knew I couldn't hold out. The worst feeling was when I knew I HAD to push and I had 5 people telling me that I couldn't. At this time there were people pouring into my room. Everything is pretty fuzzy from this time but I remember the relief I felt when I saw my doc come through the door. I immediately gave in to the urge and started pushing. Luke was born 7 minutes later at 3:22pm. 8lbs 2oz and 20". I felt immediate relief after he was born and was actually quite proud that I did it naturally. It was something I always wanted to do but never thought I could. Don't get me wrong.. I probably won't do it again! But at least I did it once.
Afterwards my hubby told me that in between contractions I kept giving funny one liners about how I was never having children again, he would have the next kid, anyone who does this naturally on purpose is insane.. and that the nurses were trying not to laugh. I have little memory of this but I'm glad I could be humorous when I was in so much pain.
I was scared that I was the screaming preggo lady.. but they told me I was actually quite quiet.

Now I just need a few years to forget the pain before I do it again!!

April 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! It sounds difficult going completely med-free but it also sounds very empowering! Great job!

April 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Great job, mama! Congrats on your beautiful little man!!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
April 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! The epi thing sucks - but you made it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search