Mark Anthony's Arrival :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 07:15 PM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember if I posted the few days before having Mark about the docs taking me out of work or not. I "think" I did, but can't remember for sure. As I'm sure you understand how at this point, the days and what all happened are a bit of a blur. The docs basically said the tests showed I was on my feet too much and at that point on I needed to be on modified bedrest. What's funny to us now, is the docs also told me I had practically zero chance of labor starting on its own as there had been no change in my progression over the last few weeks and I'd not dilated more then just a fingertip for several weeks now, and also had not had contractions (including very few braxton hicks ones), so the docs scheduled my induction for Tuesday evening, May 4th. Little Mark obviously had his own plans, and preferred to come out before he could be evicted. LOL!!

Everything started Saturday morning, May 1st. I woke up that morning around 2am with contractions. They were @ 8 to 10 minutes apart, lasting @ 30 seconds some were longer, some were shorter, and started in my belly, a tightening & pressure, and then would move to my back area. It was so different from the few braxton hicks I'd had here & there, so it was exciting as well as a bit frightening realizing that this could actually be real. I knew this if this was really it, it was what they call early labor and could last for a while, even several days. I waited until Tony woke up and then took the 1st of many hot showers to relieve the back pressure. Then we waited and timed them. During this time, silly me also took one of our cars to the dealership for service. Tony was mowing the grass, and I decided to go and just wait for it at the dealership. To me it made perfect sense, I could either sit at home and watch Tony mow the grass and time the contractions, or I could get something accomplished and sit & time the contractions at the same time. Tony gave up arguing with me, and just let me go. He kept calling to check on me, and I wasn't even gone that long. Now I will admit, that it was so funny how fast they performed the service on our car though, guess they didn't want a pg woman delivering a baby there. LOL! Tony was so sweet that day and kept checking on me, reminding me to breathe, kept bringing me water, snacks, took several walks with me, cooked me a nice dinner (steaks on the grill), just so sweet. Tony & I even went out shopping for a few errands, but pretty much stayed at home and watched a few movies to distract me while we timed the contractions.

During the afternoon, early evening the contractions started getting closer & closer & were much more intense. I think that's when it really hit the 2 of us that we were going to have little Mark possibly that very day. When the contractions were consistently under 5 minutes apart, we called the doc - this was around 5:30pm. He wanted us to wait a bit longer, or until my water broke. He still acted like it could still be like this for a day or so, and wanted us to just monitor things and call him back if the water broke or if they continued to get closer. He preferred we'd wait until they were 2-3 minutes apart and lasting about 1 minute each time. It seemed like no sooner then a few minutes after getting off the phone with him that I felt a small gush. I immediately thought that it was my water breaking, but wasn't completely sure at the same time, as it wasn't a huge amount of water coming out. I guess Mark's head was low enough to create a plug to keep most of it in me. This was @ 6:30pm and contractions started becoming even closer together & were @ 2-3 minutes apart. So we called the doc and headed into the hospital. At this point, the contractions started to get even more painful & intense so I asked for the epidural as soon as we got to the hospital. When they checked me, it was confirmed it was my water that had broken as I also had some bloody show as well. I was dilated to 4 1/2 centimeters so they gave me the epidural right away. Unfortunately though, it didn't last so around midnight they had to give me another one. I had to be one of the "lucky ones" as it is rare for them to stop working like that. I also go the shakes & was so chilled after receving the epidurals. I remember laughing about that with Tony as I'd been suffering from hot flashes for the past few months of the pregnany and now they're having to bring me heated blankets. After the epi, my labor didn't progress very fast and we both tried to get some sleep and rest as best we could waiting for my body to dilate more so we could finally meet Mark. They started the picotin @ 5am, but Mark's heartrate kept dropping so they had to keep stopping it and then would try it again. I believe they tried 3 times, before giving up on that, and had me on oxygen as well. I believe that they said I got as far as 8 centimeters dilation, but nothing beyond that though, and @ 6:00ish am on Sunday I developed a fever which could indicate an infection. Also we were close to the 12 hour mark of the water breaking, so decision was made to perform a c-section. Not quite how I wanted things to go, but most important was healthy baby & healthy me. Mark was delivered at 9:45am, he was 6 pounds 10 ounces, 20 inches length and was crying immediately. At this point, I was so exhausted from labor and groggy from all the medication that I started falling asleep right after they delivered him. I remember them bringing him over to me to see and I was crying and kissing him. Tony got to hold him for a while as they stitched me up before they took him to NICU. I was in recovery for a while, before they released me to the mother/baby unit. It felt so strange though not having Mark with us in the room.

They took him to NICU as a precaution of the infection but he was released to us on Tuesday after all the labwork came back fine. We both got to come home together on Wednesday. Now we're learning to be Mommy & Daddy and although exhausting, loving every moment. Breastfeeding was challenging to begin with, but is getting better & easier as each day passes. The NICU policy was to give formula & a pacifier, which I wanted to avoid if at all possible, but didn't have much choice there. They did bring me a pump to my room and had a lactation consultent work with me with that as well as some one on one with Mark which helped lots. I was able to pump the pre-milk and they would feed it to Mark before giving him the formula and also we were able to b/f him as well in the NICU when we visited. He wasn't treated as a critical case, so we had much more freedom then most parents had with their LOs in NICU. We could hold him and feed him as much as we wanted, as he wasn't showing any symptoms of being sick and it was more of a precaution. I'm taking it pretty easy, and hope the pain from the incision heals quickly. I have a followup appt with the OB Thursday.

Now some pics -

1st family pic - not the best, but still special.

so alert & eyes wide open

things are always better when snuggling with Daddy

Heading home from hospital - Yay!! This the same outfit Daddy wore home, but poor little Mark is swimming in it. He's so tiny right now.

1 week old - wow! Taken Sunday.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
May 12th, 2010, 05:56 AM
2boys+alittlelady2luv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great birth story. Sorry it ended in a c-section but at least you got to experience the whole thing first. (that is what happened to me with my first son)

Congrats!!

May 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww...what a sweet little thing. Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry it didn't go as you hoped...but what a happy ending Congratulations!

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie
May 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Awww what a sweet little guy!
May 17th, 2010, 03:35 PM
adamsgirl
Congrats Becky! He is adorable!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search