Nicholas John 5/22/10 7lbs 12oz 22 inches

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
My little boogar arrived 1 week late! I went to my 40 week OB appt on Wed May 19th and was having decent contractions. She put me on the NST, we passed and she said my contractions might actually be early labor so she was willing to strip my membranes even though she usually doesn't b/c she knew how badly I wanted to avoid the induction that was scheduled for Wed May 26th at 4 am. So she stripped my membranes, it hurt but not too bad and I immediately got crampy and more contractions. She advised us to go to the mall and walk to try to get them more regular so we did. At the mall they got really intense, sharp shooting up my sides so I couldn't walk. We decided to head home to pack some stuff and see what happens. As soon as I sat down in the car they slowed down. They never really started back up and that night and all of the next day I felt like I had the worst period ever, cramping and spotting. Friday May 21st I woke up at 7:30am and headed to the bathroom. On the way there I felt a small gush and decided it probably wasn't enough liquid to be my water. So I did the 30 minute test 3 times where I would lay down and stand and liquid would come out. But still not alot. Around 12:30 while I was eating lunch I felt the big gush. I headed to the bathroom where I saw TONS of green liquid. I knew it was meconium in the AF so we started to pack. We headed to the hospital around 1:30 and it was just major gushing from that point on. I checked into triage and the took me pretty quickly b/c I was SOAKED!!! I was admitted and having contractions 5-6 minutes apart even though I really couldn't feel them. So when we got to the room the nurse and doctor told me that since my water was broke with meconium I would need antibiotics and Pitocin if my contractions didn't get regular. The gave me Vancomycin IV and Pitocin around 7:30 b/c I am allergic to Keflex. I was 4 cm at that point. My scalp and neck started to swell and itch uncontrollably, all my skin turned bright white and my hands started to swell up HUGE. I felt really weird. I told the nurse she said let me call pharmacy. I said ummm not to be a know it all but I am a pharmacist and I am pretty stinking sure I am having an allergic reaction and maybe you should turn the IV off. By the time she got a hold of pharmacy and the doctor to decide what to do my head was on FIRE and my hands were so swollen I thought they would POP. They turned the IV off and asked if I wanted Benadryll...I said no b/c I wanted to be able to focus on the labor. The Pitocin was started at a rate of 6 and then at this point she turned it up to 9. Around 9:30 she turned it up to 11. Now things were getting painful. But I was trying to get through it without the epi so I endured on the birthing ball! My parents got in from Sarasota around this time. I got to about 11:30 and I was 5-6cm dialated when things got out of control. I started having hyperstimulation and my contractions where full force back to back no break. At that point I was in so much pain and the babys heart went off the monitor. They all come running in freaking out threw me on the bed, put oxygen on me and turned the bed back to get my feet over. She kept trying to find the heart beat and couldn't. The doc comes running in and they find it but it is weak. First 50, then 51, 52, 53....Then starts climbing. At that point the doctor said given the situation we should opt for c-section. I begged please lets try and he said if 1 more decrease even slightly out of range we are doing c-section. I agreed. He also warned me the baby needs to be out by 7:30 am (24 hours after water break). So at that point I got the epidural, I was stressed and in pain. AND O-M-G was I so much happier. I know it isn't what I planned but it is what I wanted and let me tell you what next time I am going in and getting it right off the bat :-) So then I got some rest and we started to push around 3am at which time they turned the epidural off...OUCH...b/c of my baby was stuck on my pelvic bone. Luckily for me I had major gas so I kept tooting while pushing so I refused to push. So the nurse made DH and my family leave until I pushed all the gas out...O.M.G!!!! So I'm pushing, pushing, pushing and he is posterior trying to move in position but he was stuck on my gimpy pelvic bone. Doc says he doesn't think he's going to make it through and threatens c-section again. At that point my nurse goes on break and this AWESOME nurse comes in and puts me in millions of different positions to try to get baby moving down past my pelvic bone. We start to make some progress getting him down so doc says "it's probably 50/50 on if you are going to be able to do this but it's going to be really rough and you really have to work." So then basically from this point until 6:28am when he was born I was in EXCRUCIATING pain pushing. I pushed about 3&1/2 hours but 2 hours were really hard pushing to get him to stay past the pelvic bone b/c he kept sliding back. Then came the real fun...the ring of fire! Once I got his head out he had the cord wrapped around so we had to stop for a minute get that off and then wait for next contraction and then his shoulders were coming out which for me was the most painful part of the whole night it seemed like it was 5 minutes long of sheer ripping but it probably was only a couple. I tore open on each side of my labia and have a Giant hemmroid!!! But we got him out without going to the OR and he is a healthy happy boy! He is so strong when they put him on the scale he grabbed the side and they were trying to pull him off and everyone was cracking up b/c they had to physically unlatch his hand. Doc said he's never seen anything like that! He also has really good head control and can pretty much wiggle his way around his bassinet now to shove his face up against the side which is making me nervous. He also has been producing tears since birth so it makes his little cries even worse when you see the tears!!! I can't believe he is mine. I am getting to know all his little faces already and I can almost tell what he is going to do based on the look he gives me. The only problem we are having is he is super gassy and hopefully we can get that under control! Otherwise he is the perfect little man of my dreams and I can't believe he's here and can't imagine being without him!

Last edited by 2Nlove; May 25th, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
May 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
hoping and waiting's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What an awesome birth experience! I'm so glad he came without C-section and that you are all home, happy and healthy! He is so adorable. Congratulations mama! Enjoy every moment. It really goes by so fast. My Annabelle is already 1 month old today and she is so much different from when she was first born. Make sure you take lots of pics and videos!
May 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow! what an intense birth!!

Valley got stuck on my pubic bone too and it was really hard to get her out, but lyric had no problems getting through at 2.5 pounds more than she was. AND I thought the shoulders were the worst too!! which is odd and most people don't say that. but OUCH! it felt like knives coming out with valley!!

I hope you recover tear wise soon!!

Mama to Valley, Lyric
Levi 9/2009 & Mara 9/2013

My Ovulation Chart

Cycle 8 after 2nd tri miscarriage: trying that "relax and let it happen" method again... 3rd times the charm?

May 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Rammas08's Avatar Samantha =)
congrats!!!
May 26th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to misscari Send a message via Yahoo to misscari
Definitely an intense birth experience. So glad everything turned out well and what a labor champ you are to push that long. I had a similar experience with my first son and it is certainly rough to work that hard for hours on end especially when there are complications and you're scared to death. So happy you're both safe and healthy!

Congratulations to you and your family

Thank you to claire1979 for my adorable siggy
May 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Love your story Jen! And, that is HILARIOUS about the gas and having everyone leave... lol!!! I can only imagine how embarrassing that would be! Did you say your dad was in there? I don't think I could ever have my dad in the room... lol.

Glad it all went well and you've got your cutie!!! CONGRATS!
May 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
OMG yeah mom, dad, and DH. I was in so much pain from trying to not have the epidural that I didn't care about my dad seeing the goods but yeah under a normal situation we are not that open of a family. I think if I would have started out with the epidural and would have been comfortable enough to think in a clear state of mind I probably wouldn't have been able to have him there seeing it all in all it's glory...but I'm glad for him he was able to. The gas...OMG. OMG. OMG. Push toot, push toot, we were all cracking up. As soon as my contractions got going with the Pit it was just major pressure like you have to #2. Oh I also forgot after the hyperstimulation they turned off the Pit and said they were going to give me Terb, but I don't think they did I'm not sure. Luckily my uterus didn't explode with my luck!
June 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Just got around to reading your story. How intense! Your little boy is so cute! By the way, I feel the same way about the epidural...I also hoped to have a med-free labor delivery, but I couldn't take it. I'm so going straight for it next time, no waiting for me!

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search