Baby Claire - July 6 - C-section

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2010, 11:08 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It is still quite strange to watch my baby girl sleeping while I think about what to type for her birth story...this has been the wildest, most unexpected 4 days of my life! I was absolutely sure I'd have an August baby, but I'm slowly learning that I don't have much control over anything anymore

Rewind to July 4th weekend...I spent the weekend prepping for a huge party we were having. I did yard work, I scrubbed 3 bathrooms, I mopped floors, I vacuumed, I cooked...I did it all. My house was spotless when our guests arrived, and we did more cleaning Monday after it was all over. I was exhausted the whole weekend, but figured that was normal since I was working my tail off! Monday I slept quite a bit and I had a lot of sore muscles, but I didn't think anything of it. DH scolded me about overdoing it, so I promised to take it easy.

Tuesday, July 6th, I just felt "off." I slept late, and had an upset stomach for most of the morning. I couldn't seem to find the motivation to do anything, so I took an early afternoon nap. I had ZERO appetite...I choked down a bowl of peach sherbet just to keep myself going, but I didn't want to eat at all. I had seen some pink on the tp in the morning when I wiped, and I thought maybe it was happening when I urinated. I thought maybe I had a UTI, so I called my doc's office. Strangely, no one would answer or return my voicemail. I figured maybe I should wait until the next morning, but that just in case I'd pack my hospital bag. I packed the bag, put it and the car seat in the car, and even threw in a few things for DH just in case he had to meet me during work hours and needed a change of clothes.

Finally about 6pm I called up to L&D and told them I felt awful and that I thought maybe I had a UTI. They told me to come on up to be sure. I took a shower, dressed, called DH just to let him know where I'd be, and arrived at the hospital at about 7:30pm. When I arrived they made me pee in a cup and then decided to have me put on a gown and be monitored while I waited for the results. The nurse hooked things up and asked "do you feel those contractions you're having?" I said "you mean the cramps?" She laughed and told me I was having pretty decent contractions, though nothing consistent yet. I decided to let them check me, and I was 1 cm dialated. The internal exam was by FAR the most painful thing I had been feeling at this point.

Turns out I did NOT have a UTI, so the nurse told me to go walk for an hour and then come back and see how I felt. DH had arrived from work by then, stopping to grab a bite to eat on the way...he wasn't at all worried and was slightly annoyed that I asked him to come by on his way home. After all, we still had at least 3 more weeks!

We went across the street to a park and walked for an hour. During the hour, I definitely felt more cramping, but never anything that slowed me down. I thought maybe I was dehydrated...it still didn't make any sense at all that I could be in labor.

After our hour of walking, we went back up to L&D. The nurse came in to check me again, and I was "almost 4." I was in absolute shock! How in the world could I be dialiting this quickly and not be in pain? How could this be happening already? Before I could really ask any questions, they were wheeling in the u/s machine to check the baby's position, and of course, she was still breech.

Then everything really started to happen fast. We got back from our walk at 9:45, and by 10:00, I was being admitted for a c-section. Nurses were shoving paperwork in my face for me to sign as quickly as I could. I was being hooked up to IVs, monitors, etc. and my room was full of busy nurses and doctors getting things ready to go. An hour after I got back from the walk, I was on the table in the OR being given a spinal. I didn't even have time to be scared or worry about anything.

It was completely surreal being awake while everything was happening. DH stood up and watched over the curtain as everything was happening, and I was asking him for all the details. I could feel pressure, smell the cauterizing tools, and hear scissors cutting as the doctor got to work on me. I remember asking DH "tell me when you're sure there's really a baby in there." DH could see her bottom first...he said "oh, there's a little butt...she's peeing!" I still didn't believe it was really happening. They pulled and tugged a lot, and finally DH said "oh, she's sooo cute." A second later I hear these angry, wet little cries, and I totally lost it. It was the most beautiful, amazing sound I had ever heard...no one could have prepared me for the pure joy and elation I felt at that moment. After all the struggles of infertility, all the sleepless nights praying for a child, all the worries of pregnancy...they just melted away in an instant.

DH and I held each other and cried for a few minutes while they worked on clearing her lungs, and it wasn't more than 3 or 4 minutes before they brought her over to me. She was so tiny and perfect...I couldn't believe she was really ours

DH went with Claire, and I stayed in the OR while they sewed me back up. Even that was fast...20 minutes after the birth, I was being wheeled back down to be with my family. By the time I got to the room, Claire already sounded much better and her breathing was slowing down to something more normal. I felt a little woozy from the drugs I had been given, but DH helped me hold her after a few minutes. She weighed 6 pounds 4 oz and was 18.5 inches long...long fingers and toes like her Mom, light brown hair, and her Daddy's lips.

The nurses watched her closely over the next few hours to check Claire's breathing and oxygenation, but she was always right with us, and I was able to nurse within an hour of her birth. She latched right on like a pro, and other than a little jaundice now, she is perfectly healthy and ready to take on the world!

I haven't really had time to process it all yet...since labor was going so well, I'm quite sure my NCB plans would have gone well if she hadn't been breech, but right now I'm just so thrilled to have a healthy baby that I can't feel anything other than happiness. After so many months and years of clouds and rain, Jon and I finally have our little Sunshine

ETA: In case you are wondering why the fact that she is a girl wasn't a bigger part of the story...we have known we were on Team Pink, but we didn't share that info with anyone. DH and wanted that little secret to be just between the two of us, and I wouldn't change a thing about how we did it. We have big dreams for our little girl, and we're so glad to finally be able to share her with everyone!

I'll be back to post pictures as soon as we're home (hopefully later today!).

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

Last edited by KMH; July 10th, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
July 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww Thanks soo much for sharing such a beautiful story!!!... and a HUGE congrats on your gorgeous little girl!!!.

July 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Super Mommy
You sound so happy, I am so excited for you!! Congrats on your precious baby girl!!

Thank you Cavewoman!!
July 10th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Popping in from General Spirituality to say congratulations, Melissa! So glad baby is safely with you xxx

July 10th, 2010, 04:22 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YOU KNEW SHE WAS A GIRL?! you little sneak

I have to admit, I teared up reading your birth story. I am so happy that people like you and your DH finally had your dream come true. Congratulations on your precious baby girl, I can't wait to see pictures!

July 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess she just didn't want to wait another 3 weeks. Congrats mama. I hope you two can get home soon.

July 10th, 2010, 05:07 AM
mommydiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!

July 10th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Melissa!

MEG, mama to Blake (11/18/08) and Hudson (08/11/10)

July 10th, 2010, 06:09 AM
krystal g's Avatar Happy to be a SAHM!
Congratulations on your precious baby GIRL!!! I'm all teary-eyed reading this. And I'm so happy for you that all went well and Claire is doing great. Can't wait to see pictures.

My blog!
July 10th, 2010, 06:14 AM
mommy_2_ava_1109's Avatar Mommy to Ava & Jack
Congratulations!!!

July 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM
MariyaEvans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!!! I hope your baby girl brings you nothing but joy.
July 10th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww congrats!!!!! SO happy for you. Can't wait to see pictures of her!
Jackson born August 2010

July 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM
n.m.hood's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And now you have me crying, Melissa. What a beautiful story. I am SO thrilled and happy for you and your husband. Can't wait to see baby Claire. I'm sure she's just beautiful! Speedy recovery for you, Mama!!!

Mr. Nolan

July 10th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I teared up reading your story as well, it's beautiful. Congrats on your perfect baby girl!
July 10th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Jeanie915's Avatar Hallie's Mommy
Such an amazing story! What a whirlwind! I am so happy for you!!

July 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
well even if you had to have a c-section, I'm glad she got to pick her own birthday congratulations!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

July 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Chantel2488's Avatar Veteran
Awwww congrats!! Can't wait to see pictures!

July 10th, 2010, 07:40 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
What a wonderful birth story, I too got all teary eyed reading it! Congratulation on your precious baby girl!! Can't wait to see pics.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
July 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Veteran
What a beautiful birth story! CONGRATULATIONS on your sweet baby girl!

July 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Super Mommy
Yay our first birth story! And what a beautiful one. Thanks for sharing your experience with your beautiful daughter.

Thank you katydid for my Siggie!!!

Tags
aug 2010 birth stories

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search