Log In Sign Up

River Eryn 7/15/10 VERY long

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 711
Sorry it took me so long to post this. My sister moved out while we were still in the hospital and the internet was in her name so it went with her.
Wednesday July 14th I had my last ultrasound with my high risk doc. The bleeding had picked up and the cramping was keeping me up at night. Dr. said it would be safer for her to be born then wait the extra week since no one knew what was causing the bleeding. My DH hadnít been able to come with me to the appointment so I put him on speaker phone so she could explain it to him. He freaked out more than a little. Doc gave us some time to get childcare figured out for the rest of the week (DS was in daycare at this point) since we have it planned for next week and to get to the hospital. I hadnít even bought everything yet as I figured I would get things done that weekend. We get things figured out with divided childcare between DHís brother and my parents for the rest of the week then head off. Not seeing DS before we went to the hospital was ROUGH.
We get to the hospital and they have a hard time with my IV. Apparently some blood got backed up into it and clotted so they had to clean everything out and I bled everywhere! They start the pitocin (itís about 2:30 at this point) and I start feeling it immediately. With my son it took a good 5-6 hours before I was feeling contractions. Nothing too bad but uncomfortable. My regular doc comes in and was a little upset because the decision to induce was made without her but she quickly changes her tune when she tries to break my water and there is a ton of blood. She wasnít able to break it right then so she letís me labor for a bit and I decide to get an epidural before she gets back since I was in quite a bit of pain at that time. They come in and put my epidural in and the anesthesiologist gets a little upset because I can still feel my contractions. I tell him itís what I want, I just want the edge off and he says he is concerned that I will start to feel it too much when I start pushing. I tell him itís fine, I actually want to be able to feel progression. Doc comes in to break my water and with it comes a bunch of blood. Things progress pretty quickly from here until babyís heart rate starts to drop with contractions. They turn off the pitocin and I pretty much stay at a standstill for a few hours. Doc decides to do something called an amnio transfusion where they pipe water back into my uterus since it was all gone since my water broke. This made things work again and they turn the pitocin back on but just barely. A couple hours later I start throwing up like crazy. They check me soon after and Iím ready to push. The nurse joked that they had been trying to prevent me from throwing up the whole time (I have a sensitivity to anesthetic of any kind) and they should have just let me because it made things work. The nurse asked if I wanted to start pushing since the doc had gone home and was coming back in and I tell her it only too 3 contractions to get my son out so she suggests waiting. Doc gets there and I start pushing. Again, 3 contractions and sheís out and TINY! River was born at 5:30 in the morning 5lbs 3oz 17.25 inches long. The NICU was there to assess her and she was having some trouble breathing so they let me see her for a few minutes, then hand her off to DH who takes her to the NICU while I get sewn up (very small tear) and recoop. Doc examines the placenta and finds some lakes and blood clots but says that that shouldnít have necessarily caused as much the NICU and see River for a couple hours. Her breathing was fine by this point but she started having some trouble maintaining her body temperature so they put her under some heat lights. I go in at noon to get my tubes tied. Talk about a weird feeling! They gave me a spinal since I didnít want to be knocked out and cut in through my belly button. I could feel them pulling things out. Was very Alien. After that they take me to recovery and I sleep a little, then wake up and freak out that I canít move my legs. Completely irrational. I get claustrophobic not being able to move my legs and I was already upset that I couldnít be with my daughter so it was no good. I started trying to walk around before I was ready and nearly face plant. Luckily my DH was right there and upset with me. I get to the point where I can go see River again and we start an every 3 hour breastfeeding schedule. She latches on right away but then gets frustrated that things arenít happening immediately and stops trying. We are still working on that one but itís getting better. By this point she is able to regulate her body temperature but her blood sugar levels are wacky. So she stays put. The next two days are a whirlwind of feeding every 3 hours, pain and visitors. River gets her body temperature regulated but then gets jaundice so she stays another day. The doctor on call tries to come up with an excuse to keep me there but says my insurance wonít cover it but works it out so DH and I can stay on the NICU floor so I can keep breastfeeding. My son at this point was not a happy camper and was taking it out on everyone. Finally, yesterday we get the okay to take her home and here we are. DS isnít acting very well but Iím hoping that clears up once he gets the routine down. Last night was rough because River felt that since I was available, she needed to be fed or held so there was no sleep at all. But here we are and happy to be home.
All in all it wasnít a bad experience other then the stress of having a baby in the NICU. The staff was AMAZING! There was not a bad experience in the bunch between my nurses and doctors and her nurses and doctors. We owe a lot of people cookie baskets.

I will post pics once I download them off my camera.

bleeding as what was going on so she sent it to a lab. I get to go to

Thank you katydid for my Siggie!!!
Reply With Quote
July 20th, 2010, 08:45 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,604
Wow..that is quite a birth! I wonder what the bleeding was all about!

Cant wait to see pics
Michelle Mom To:
Avis (6)
Violette (4)
Suzannah (2.5)

Reply With Quote
July 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
wow! congrats, I love her name Glad she is home and doing well!

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 05:18 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 17,033
Glad everyone is doing well! Congratulations!

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 05:21 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,606
So glad everyone is doing well! Hope you can figure out what all the bleeding was about. CONGRATS!!!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 05:50 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 581
Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,693
glad she is doing well!
Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Posts: n/a
Congratulations! So glad she is doing well and home now!
Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,672
Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see pictures!

It's weird that they couldn't figure out what the bleeding was from. But I'm glad you're both doing well and that you're home now! Hope your DS starts adjusting better too!

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,003
Thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad everyone is doing well, and congrats!
Mama to Jackson (23 months)
Fiance to Matthew
Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Jeanie915's Avatar Hallie's Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,255
I'm so glad both you and baby are doing well. Congrats!!

Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,917
congratulations! she's so tiny and perfect
mom to
Rebecca (11/22/07) Nathan (7/31/10) & Thomas (5/3/13)
Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 6,670
Congrats! Glad everyone is well and at home!

MEG, mama to Blake (11/18/08) and Hudson (08/11/10)

Reply With Quote
July 22nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Sarah Marie's Avatar Mom to Leiland and Owen
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Middle TN, Born and raised in MI
Posts: 10,454
Oh wow, I am sorry she has some troubles but so happy she is ok and able to nurse still. I can't wait to see her.
Reply With Quote
July 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,629
Reply With Quote

aug 2010 birth stories

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0