Sarah Marie's Birth Story (Long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This actually starts a little sooner than I thought it did now that I know what was going on. I'll go back to the beginning since it was so different from my others.

Monday, July 19, 2010
This was the day that it all really started. For some reason I'd started to see a touch of bloody discharge. Nothing bad or alarming, and we'd DTD the night before so I really just figured it was irritation. It got a little worse as the day went on and I became a little nauseous, but otherwise it was a normal day.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
The bleeding had gotten worse and I just didn't feel right. It was that not right feeling you get when you're coming down with something and just don't know what. That afternoon I went in to my OBs office as a precaution where they just checked my BP, urine and her heart to make sure neither of us were doing anything obviously off. They instructed my to go ahead and come to my appointment on Thursday to do the GBS test and be checked. Standard appointment.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010
I still wasn't feeling right and didn't sleep well at all the night before. I had contractions about 6 minutes apart and roughly 30 seconds long all night so there wasn't much sleep. As usual they eventually stopped though and never picked up in frequency or intensity. It was another off day, but I really thought it was from being so tired. The bloody discharge was still continuing which was worrisome and not long before bed I had a large amount of red blood come out. It was really alarming and I almost went to L&D just to be sure everything was okay. I told myself I was being paranoid, though, and just kept reminding myself that I had an appointment the next afternoon. I could always ask then or call in the morning to be seen earlier in the day so why waste my time at L&D? I was having contractions, but they were 7-9 minutes apart so nothing spectacular and certainly no worse than the night before.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

I woke up around midnight to Elizabeth crying. She still wants a bottle some nights so it wasn't surprising. I got up to put one together for her and my contractions had become more painful. Assuming it was from position and just being sore in general I sort of shrugged them off and got us both back to bed. By about 1am they were bad enough that I couldn't get back to sleep and were 3-5 minutes apart. I still assumed it was going to be my usual burst and they'd stopped so I decided to take a shower to help settle things down and relieve some of the pain. Bad idea! The shower made it so, so much worse. When I got out I called my OB's office and thankfully one of my preferred OBs was on call. He said that with my history it could very well stop, but they wanted me to come in to be checked just in case since if I were in labor it could go quickly. So I woke up DH and we got the kids around and after a lot of delays (diapers, diaper bag, etc.) left for the hospital.

When we got there it was about 2:30am I think and I was still contracting regularly. I hadn't been timing them since the car made them worse, but even inside they were more intense. I was still expecting to be sent home though. They got us upstairs and we started on the usual routine. Undress, pee in the cup (a tiny one of course!), and get hooked up to the monitors. The contractions showed up right away and at that point were every 2-4 minutes. Again, been there and done that so it seemed like they should be stopping soon. When the nurse decided to check me, though, I was already at 6-7cm and fully effaced! Eek!

At that point things really began to pick up. They started to prep the room for a variety of situations, notified the OB that it was definitely labor (he was in an emergency c-section when we arrived), and started going through the 20 questions admission game. I'd already pre-registered, but we still had to sign all the papers and go over allergies, etc. While we're doing all this things kept getting worse, but I was managing. Every time a contraction hit I would take a few deep breaths and just push on the bed rails. It really helped me work through them knowing I was inflicting a little pain on the poor bed. I was really trying to stay in control though since the kids were all there and I knew they'd be scared to see me hurting.

I'm not sure when it happened, but at one point during the questions and forms the nurse suddenly tells me to change position. I thought it was a pain control idea and told her I already knew laying that way would make it worse, but she insisted I HAD to move. She helped me roll this way and that and eventually put me on my hands and knees. That was when I could see the screen and I didn't realize it at the time, but what I thought was my heart rate dropping was Sarah's and it was down to 74bpm. She was jerking around a lot with the contractions and they were causing her problems. The nurse kept rubbing my back and eventually she did a really big movement and her heart rate came back up. They had me stay that way and sped up the IV bag by a LOT. They put a pressure cuff on it so instead of doing a steady drip it was more like a stream. They also wanted to give me Stadol or an Epidural to slow things down and make things easier on Sarah. I've never been on Stadol and the nurse said it would be like being drunk (never been drunk either) so I opted for the Epidural. It wasn't what I wanted going in, but I really wanted her to be okay more. Plus at that point I was really worried that something would go wrong and we'd end up in the OR. I didn't want a second wasted on an Epidural that I hadn't gotten earlier if that happened.

So they pushed the IV bag in as fast as they could, hooked up antibiotics since I was GBS Unknown and got the anesthesiologist in there to do the epidural ASAP. He skipped a lot of the usual formalities and just got it done. They did a low dose which seemed to help slow the contractions and while I could still feel them the screen showed they were becoming less intense. Sarah also calmed down very noticeably and her heart rate wasn't bouncing around anymore.

They waited a little while with at least 1 nurse watching me at all times and eventually did another check. At that point I was at 9cm, my water hadn't broken, and things were going slow and steady. They went ahead and broke my water since the antibiotics were done and they wanted to go ahead and get her out. We were joking around a bit and the nurse commented that if Sarah wasn't born soon she wouldn't get to help with the delivery. It was 6:20 and her shift ended at 7am. I guess Sarah really liked the nurse because a few minutes late I started to feel her descend. I told the nurse that there was a definitely change in pressure and she did a check. I was fully dilated and Sarah was coming down. She asked if I usually had to push a lot and when I said no she paged the OB and told him to book it. When he got there it was 6:30 and they started the final prep. Taking the foot of the bed and things like that. As soon as they had everything set up they had me start pushing. The first push brought her down, the next two got her head out, and with a final push she was born.

Sarah Marie joined us on July 22, 2010 at 6:41am weighing 7lbs 3oz and 20 inches long with a full head of black hair. It was such a quick labor that even though I didn't get my natural child birth I'm happy that I wasn't induced. My body can work when it wants to! Sarah's Apgars were 9 & 9 and while she failed her first hearing test in one ear she passed with both in the second. She's nursing really well so far and squeaks rather than cries. She's such an amazing little girl.

July 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM
sugary~snails's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awww what a beautiful story you did amazing! and holy fast!
July 24th, 2010, 05:08 AM
suusssannn's Avatar funky monkey
Congratulations!!! What a great birth story!!! I'm so glad she's here safe and sound, and doing well!! I can't wait to see pictures... I'm sure she's just beautiful! Get your rest, momma!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That was very fast...Glad she here and healthy.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

July 24th, 2010, 05:51 AM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!

July 24th, 2010, 05:59 AM
~*LauraFL*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!!!

Thank you to Ashley for my super fabulous siggy!

July 24th, 2010, 06:03 AM
krystal g's Avatar Happy to be a SAHM!
Congrats Anna! That was really fast.

My blog!
July 24th, 2010, 06:16 AM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Momma...great job and such a quick labor! We can't wait to see pictures.

Little brother!
July 24th, 2010, 06:18 AM
M-E-M's mom's Avatar bad motha.. shut yo mouth
Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures!

July 24th, 2010, 06:23 AM
mommy_2_ava_1109's Avatar Mommy to Ava & Jack
Congratulations! What a beautiful birth story!

July 24th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Mystixism's Avatar Mistress of the Universe
Lovely birth story! I can't wait to see some pictures. Congratulations again!

July 24th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 24th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Amylizz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations Anna!!!

July 24th, 2010, 07:59 AM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
aww, congrats mama!!! she sounds beautiful and i'm so happy for you that she arrived safe and sound!!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
July 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
What a great birth story. Glad everything went smoothly and so quickly and everyone is okay. CONGRATS again!!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

July 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Enjoy your little squeaker!

July 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
MariyaEvans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad everything went well
July 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
MashAllah Anna! Congrats! Many wishes to lil Miss Sarah and all the kids on their blessed lil sister!

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
July 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
New Mom
Congratulations on your little girl! Yay.

July 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM
mshah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing, and CONGRATULATIONS! MashAllah, MashAllah!

Tags
aug 2010 birth stories

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search