Holden James (with pics!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Holdens Mommy <3
I can't believe I'm about to write a birth story!
I was supposed to call the hospital Tuesday July 27th to see if they had a bed available for me, or if I'd have to wait...around 8pm they called me and let me know i'd be on standby and as soon as one opened they'd call. So I took a shower, made sure I had everything I'd need and tried to sleep a little. Just as I was falling asleep they called and an hour later my mom and I were at the hospital.
They started me with that gel that softens the cervix (I forget what its called) I got 2 of those and around 7am I was started on pitocin. I was offered and epidural not long after that and agreed, I wasn't in much pain at that moment but I figured better sooner than later. Well...the epidural was the worst idea I've ever had. The anesthesiologist was putting the catheter in and instead of it going into the epidural space, it went too far and I ended up essentially with a spinal block. Within a minute my legs were completely numb and within 5 I couldn't move at all and my hands were starting to get tingly. It was the scariest thing thats ever happened to me. My blood pressure had dropped dramatically, i was having trouble breathing and I couldnt swallow, but Holden was fine and his heart rate was normal the whole time. It started wearing off and I started feeling the contractions so we upped the dose on the epi but only a small amount. Usually your given 12mL/hour I was started at .7mL and eventually went up to 1.4mL.
So through all this I was progressing normally, about a cm a hour until about 4pm when I went from 8cm to 10cm in less than an hour. My doctor was called but apperently there was an emergency c-section at the same time I needed him so I started doing practice pushed with the nurse (sweetest lady EVER!) I'd push through a few contractions then I'd rest, I did that a few times and then it was go time. Honestly I have no idea what time things started happening but I pushed a bunch and at 6:22pm on July 28th Holden James was born. The nurse delivered him with my mom by her side, I'm so glad it turned out how it did. He was 8lbs 3oz and 20.5inches long. He had the cord wrapped around his neck twice but they got him unwrapped and he was fine.
He's the love of my life. I've gone through the whole experience over and over in my head and still can't believe its real, I can't believe he's here!
My doctor wanted me to stay until Friday because I had tore pretty badly, but later had said Thursday was fine. I was sooo exited to be able to go home, but Holdens newborn screen showed higher levels of billirubin so they kept him under the lights Thursday night and we were looking forward to going home Friday morning....that didn't happen. His levels hadn't changed but he was out of the high risk zone and into the low intermediate so his Dr. wanted to keep him another day. We finally got to go home on the 31st! Holden seems to be adjusting well, he's a really good baby so far, I couldn't be more happy!!

August 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww, he's so precious!! Congratulations!!!

Sorry you had some trouble with your epidural and that Holden's bili levels kept him in the hospital a couple extra days. Glad to hear you're both better now!

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

August 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
M-n-MsMama0510's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hes sooo cute! congrats.

August 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
n.m.hood's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!!! Holden is absolutely adorable! I'm so glad that everything was ok with you after that epi went wrong. Also glad that Holden is doing well now! So thrilled for you!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Mr. Nolan

August 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a sweetie! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

August 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
mshah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Soooo cuuuuuute!!! Congratulations! I'm so glad you and Holden are doing well!!
August 1st, 2010, 06:39 PM
New Mom
I'm so sorry to hear that they did a bad job with your epi, that sounds really miserable. But I'm glad to hear that you and Holden are home and doing well! Congratulations on your sweet little boy!

August 2nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
Super Mommy
he is so cute! congrats!

August 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Congratulations!! He is adorable.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
August 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Super Mommy
What a great story!! He is so adorable!!!

Thank you Cavewoman!!
August 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
What a sweet baby boy!! CONGRATS!!! Sorry about your scary epi experience.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

August 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That stinks about the epidural but I'm so glad it went well after that. Congrats on baby Holden, he is adorable!!!!
Jackson born August 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search